Prayut to lead 'super board' on education system reform

Lite Beer

Prayut to lead 'super board' on education system reform
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PM Eyes amending existing laws and overhauling structures to boost sector

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha announced yesterday that he will head the soon-to-established "super board" for education.

"And I will try to yield results as soon as I can," he said in his weekly "Returning Happiness to People" TV programme last night.

Despite the huge budget set aside for the education sector, relevant authorities say it still needs major changes.

"I want to be able to give clear orders, as the existing units within the Education Ministry and the NRC [National Reform Council] have not been able to yield very concrete results due to limitations and regulations," Prayut said.

He said he has already spoken to the education minister to ensure this will not interfere with his work.

Prayut has also set his sights on amending related laws and overhauling structures for the sake of better education.

"I want to be able to make adjustments to the education system right now, in terms of class structure, fairness and the curriculum. Important subjects such as civic duties, history, democracy and patriotism need to be included," he said. "I will try to heed the public's demands by addressing the question of making learning a constructive experience while also upholding quality."

He said the country also needs to rethink the procurement of textbooks and learning materials. The Education Ministry will have a committee to evaluate the quality of textbooks before they are passed on to the Office of Basic Education Commission and a panel made up of representatives of teachers, parents, community leaders and student councils for approval.

"We will have to find out how we can acquire quality textbooks that are inexpensive. Can old textbooks be used, supplemented with inserts or sheets that contain additional content? The government may also have to take care of the expenses associated with textbooks, from kindergarten up to the end of basic education."

Lessons needed to be modernised, he said, and management synchronised on different levels in line with the national economic and social development plan.

Prayut said his government would also look into the issue of tutorial schools.

"Don't assume that I am trying to get them to pay taxes. I want a more concrete structure and for greater fairness. I'm not banning anybody, but there is a need for rules," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prayut-to-lead-super-board-on-education-system-ref-30255041.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-28

Funny how a person who has spent his whole adult life in a closeted and privileged environment and makes it very clear every time he opens his mouth that he doesn't have a clue how the real world works is now an expert of education.

Lordy, lordy ...

Anybody with a reported/declared net worth of over 500 million must be doing something right.

I watched that "Returning Happiness to People" TV programme last night. Prime Minister GENERAL Prayut Chan-o-cha announced some very ambitious plans.

My wife was playing around with our digital TV box last night and commented that nearly every channel was displaying the same.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What can possibly go wrong?

That is the wrong question - the right question is - It couldn't possibly make things worse, so why not try?

But that would require a worldview that isn't quite so bleak.

If he is going to take personal charge of overseeing education reforms he has got his priorities right for education is one of the most important, if not the most important thing that needs urgent attention.

Not going to be an easy job though what with entrenched ministry, administration and teaching all having to be changed.

And his academic credentials are?

Funny how a person who has spent his whole adult life in a closeted and privileged environment and makes it very clear every time he opens his mouth that he doesn't have a clue how the real world works is now an expert of education.

Lordy, lordy ...

The Chair of a group of people does not have to be a subject matter expert, The do have to act in an appropriate manner to ensure governance, progress and adherence to the fundamental objectives are met, and take overall responsibility for success or failure.

Of course, actually turning up to meetings is essential,

• Like 2

If he is going to take personal charge of overseeing education reforms he has got his priorities right for education is one of the most important, if not the most important thing that needs urgent attention.

Not going to be an easy job though what with entrenched ministry, administration and teaching all having to be changed.

His he going to chair the team of subject matter experts or is he claiming to be one?

r

Absolutely anything he wants them to be.