Lottery office pushes for online lottery

Lite Beer

Lottery office pushes for online lottery

28-2-2558-11-02-14-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Government Lottery Office (GLO) has proposed the Ministry of Finance an amendment to the existing lottery law that will allow it to launch online lottery in another attempt to solve the problem of overpricing of lottery tickets.

GLO Board chairman Somchai Sujjapongse revealed that under the change, the amendment will allow GLO to launch new products such as online lottery, but just for the last two or three digit numbers, to generate revenues and solve the problem of overpricing of lottery tickets in the long run.

Besides, the amendment also calls for the setting up of a fund to buy back lotteries that retailers cannot sell out in each lottery draw and become cost burden of sellers.

Lottery sellers have been complaining that they had to overcharge the face price of lottery ticket because lottery tickets with repeated numbers such as 00, 11 and other unpopular numbers were always left unsold, thus causing them to take the blunt of all the costs of the lotteries that were left, he said.

The draft amendment to the Lottery Act will be thoroughly considered before forwarding to cabinet for approval and a final revision by the National Legislative Assembly, in time for the renewal of the 50 million retail lottery ticket quota allovation in mid 2015.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lottery-office-pushes-for-online-lottery

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-28

"but just for the last two or three digit numbers,"

So what is the point of the exercise then?

Either sell lottery tickets on-line or don't bother offering only the two and three digit lotto on-line while the vendors still peddle their paper tickets.

Edited by 96tehtarp

A street vendor showed me her tray of maybe twenty remaining tickets at midday on the day of the draw. Most were 00 or 11. I pointed this out to her and she says nobody buy, not lucky numbers.

She wanted 110 for each one.I offered to buy all of them at 80 baht each because I always do 0 or 00 when playing roulette and all the 00 tickets intrigued me.

Needless to say, she didn't see the logic of discounting to minimise her potential loss.

I can only hope that when she was sitting in her room after the draw that night with the majority of those tickets instead of my baht, that the theory of supply, demand, and pricing snuck up on her.

As it turns out I saved money - no zeroes at all in the winning numbers that day.

Get a grip Thailand. We live in a digital world, and we have done so for quite some time. We aren`t playing games with bark, sticks and fur anymore.

A fully online Lottery is needed. It will save a huge amount of extra cost for GLO (?), which you can add to price money, tempting people to play even more, including myself.

Choosing your own numbers, instead of this boring ancient Lottery system.

Additionally, since there`s still a huge gap from the village world to the modern world of internet, a digital gambling system in stores like 7/11, BigC and Lotus is obviously needed.

Increased winnings. A Jackpot with 2 million (any higher?) is laughable. While there are countries with less than 10% of the population Thailand has, the prize for getting Jackpot mostly varies somewhere between 50-500 times more than it is in Thailand. Not to mention the second, third, fourth, fifth prizes and so on.

Everyone will gain on it. Government Lottery Office (?) will gain more revenue, people will have more fun playing, and more people will get lottery millionaires, and perhaps in time some lottery billionaires. Perhaps some of the profit GLO makes could go into helping people in need, which is a nice thing, and something I`ve noticed Thai`s really like to watch on TV (and cry).

How about a real lottery where people pick there own number and the grand prize can grow. Where proceeds goes to help the poor receive medical treatment for free or at greatly reduced price. 6 - 49 game comes to mind. But you would need outlet to sell tickets like 7-11 family mart, Tesco lotus.

Get a grip Thailand. We live in a digital world, and we have done so for quite some time. We aren`t playing games with bark, sticks and fur anymore.

A fully online Lottery is needed. It will save a huge amount of extra cost for GLO (?), which you can add to price money, tempting people to play even more, including myself.

Additionally, since there`s still a huge gap from the village world to the modern world of internet, a digital gambling system in stores like 7/11, BigC and Lotus is obviously needed.

Increased winnings. A Jackpot with 2 million (any higher?) is laughable. While there are countries with less than 10% of the population Thailand has, the prize for getting Jackpot mostly varies somewhere between 50-500 times more than it is in Thailand. Not to mention the second, third, fourth, fifth prizes and so on.

Everyone will gain on it. Government Lottery Office (?) will gain more revenue, people will have more fun playing, and more people will get lottery millionaires, and perhaps in time some lottery billionaires. Perhaps some of the profit GLO makes could go into helping people in need, which is a nice thing, and something I`ve noticed Thai`s really like to watch on TV (and cry).

Why would you give poor and unprivileged people a chance of becoming rich?

Next you also expect the government to pay attention to the poor or give equal chances to everybody.

Better keep the jackpot low so when they win they have just enough to make the down-payment on a new pickup truck and can go bankrupt soon after.

But on a serious note: the worse the lottery system works the better. It still is gambling that should be made as unattractive as possible to the general population. Raising the jackpot might only result in more people wasting the money that they could spend more wisely.

Once online start, please increase the prizes as well. 1 lottery ticket = 2mil baht right? I'm not sure as I'm very seldom buy it. Increase more millions for per ticket and perhap I will start buy more. 5555++

But seriously, anyone has really won the government lottery ticket before?

I never heard people around me has won

This can't come soon enough. I would never buy a lottery ticket, but the seller should not be stuck with the unsold tickets. They should not have to be de facto lottery players themselves. This is the biggest flaw in their system. If others want to throw their money away, that is fine, just don't punish the sellers. They aren't the junkies, and should not be treated as such. Honest business people trying to make a living should be treated as such.......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the lottery goes on-line, half the populace will be unemployed.

What the heck does this mean????

I think he means the sellers of lottery tickets will be out of business

Tucksin wanted to do it all on line,last 2 and 3 numbers included, useing machines in shops and at makekts ect,it never happened,one of the reasons, at the time most Thais where computer illterate,or more to the point ,stading in frount of a machine,and losing face ,because they could not use the machines.( I think not a lot has changed there)

And the big boys who run the "Die-Din", underground lottery,will not be very happy.

Did not work last time,it will come, but not this time.

Like a lot of things ,change happens slowly.

I recall a previous PM Abhisit...had the online system all up and running with about 2 weeks to changeover date...completely online...then suddenly and mysteriously the plug was pulled on the system.....2...3 years ago...?

Hadn't his Govt at the time even purchased the computers to run the online system..?...and then reneged on payment to the suppliers...something along those lines ....

Anybody else recall this...??

I 100% agree with everything you say . The Thai lottery system was for me very difficult to comprehend as it does not resemble any other lottery I have played .

As with many businesses both government and private there are reasons that the most up to date state of the art systems are not employed . That is because if

western techniques were used there would be a massive loss to the corruption element . The top Thai government officials are all fully aware of the outside world

and all of its ways and tactics but this is Thailand and its the way it works here . When I had to explain how the UK lottery worked to my Thai family , after they

grasped this new system and were all laughing ) they all said its too easy and cant be right . Says everything facepalm.gif

The sooner the better, the "Poor Sellers " are scamming the whole Thai people, i asked how much for the ticket and was quoted 120 bht for an 80 bht ticket, the PM opened the flood gates when he said they could sell at 90

Its no excuse to say we have to OVERPRICE to cover the non-returns its just plain GREED and the sooner its ONLINE the better it will be, people will soon learn how to do it by watching others or by doing the 6/49 tickets as they do in other counties bigger stores like Tesco, these " Poor Sellers " are doing quite nicely thank-you coffee1.gif

This can't come soon enough. I would never buy a lottery ticket, but the seller should not be stuck with the unsold tickets. They should not have to be de facto lottery players themselves. This is the biggest flaw in their system. If others want to throw their money away, that is fine, just don't punish the sellers. They aren't the junkies, and should not be treated as such. Honest business people trying to make a living should be treated as such.......

Where as i believe that Online can't come soon enough, i cannot agree with your last part, no one is forcing the "Sellers" to do the selling only themselves and they take the non returns as part of the deal

of course its better and more profitable than really working at a job or in the fields, more so when they can OVERPRICE 80 bht tickets to sell at 120 bht, honest business people indeed cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This whole idea of finally pushing the online lottery is due to the military government's inability to lower the prices of the tickets at the retail level

One of the first things our new dear leader promised was the lowering of lottery ticket prices, unfortunately he soon found out that the distribution system could not and would not lower the prices, since the "wholesalers" had such a stranglehold on the system

It is almost humorous that the system of distribution is based upon "luck" . You are lucky if you win, and the seller is lucky if they get rid of all their tickets before the draw. The only winners are the protected wholesalers who are guaranteed a set number of tickets for every draw and are always able to "sell" their tickets to the poor sellers who get stuck with anything not sold