Famous Thai Temple to Build Separate Toilets for Non-Chinese

Lite Beer

Yes, racism is in fact quite natural here. There is racism even among the same races in Asia.

After 13 years of marriage, my sister in law still refers to me as "farang" and does not consider me a part of the family. I don't think she even knows my name. I live within a few feet of her, and we have not spoken a single word to each other in well over a year. This sort of thing is normal in Asia. So much for Buddhism and the enlightened state here in Thailand. Just because it's a Buddhist country doesn't mean that everybody in the country has reaching the enlightened state, of course. Very few ever do. Like most religion, Buddhism isn't practiced as it should be, as spiritual awakening and enlightenment, but is instead reduced to Dogma, useless prayer and worshipping idols, and sheer nonsense.

This rest room fiasco at the White Temple does not surprise me in the least.

I'm Thai. I think most educated people in Thai are not racism. You might misunderstood for the word "farang". It is not racism. "farang" is the same to the word "foreigner" but specific to white people. As you can say Asian is mean Asia people(yellow skin) or European is mean people who living in Europe, etc. Nothing to rude in the word "farang". Why don't you ask your wife?

My older sister married to Aussie. So, I'm brother in law of my sister husband. I'm not living with my sister or her husband, but I know his name, his parent name, his brother name, their job, their origin, and lot of things. It is common, isn't it? I'm so wonder why you've got that experience.

I'm atheist. So, generally I don't mind what Temple do, but in this case(news). I agree with them. We are(Thai) not anti Chinese people(and also all people around the world). We can talk, walk, sit or having meal witht Chinese, but some Chinese hygiene are terrible, especially using toilet. So, instead of reject Chinese prople, just build toilet for them. why it so bad?

Imagine if you were company owner and your partner(who've never listened to you) always mess up office toilet everyday. what would you do? You can't retire them. You can't just tell them. Build new toilet just for them is alternate way to solve the problem, isn't it?

I have no aversion to the Thai building the Chinese separate facilities. The Thai can do what they like in their own country. I am more curious to learn how they plan to enforce this. I mean, are they going to have rest room police checking passports at the entrance, or what? It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

You're obviously a very thoughtful and reasonable fellow, I understand you perfectly. The word "farang" does in fact mean foreigner in Thai. But like any other word and like any other language the connotations with which the word is delivered make all the difference in the world.

Now, sister in law is in fact racist, as she has clearly stated so on many occasion. She does not like foreigners. She does not like Americans. She does not like Europeans. She does not like the Chinese. She pretty much likes Thai people and that's it, near as I can tell. Like I said, she refuses to speak to me, so it is difficult for me to know her mind in the usual manner. I am stuck with knowing her mind only by the dirty looks she gives me, her actions, and when she goes into a tirade about what that "filthy farang" is doing here. I suppose I'd feel terrible about her treatment of me were it not for the fact that she does it to so many other people, too. Sister has issues. It would be wrong of me too judge all Thai people by the way sister behaves. Sister has constipation problems, eating disorders, a bad attitude. She is very beautiful and has pointed her finger all her life and told other people what to do instead of the other way around. So any challenge to her authority will be met with either incredible anger, or with her collapsing into a fetal position in her room and bawling her eyes out. Sister is very very spoiled. Sister always has things her way. And when sister growls the word, "farang! " from deep in her throat, drawing the vowels out long and hard, snarling and showing her teeth, suffice to say it is not a friendly greeting.

I am antitheist (and, yes, there are plenty of atheist and antitheist Buddhists), but I love meditation and would love to find or build a temple wherein the focus was meditation and enlightenment, and not so much focus on prayer and dogma. The Chinese would be invited. I would charge a fee for lavatories (one of the ways the temple could pay for itself), and I would have a lavatory attendant keep it spic-and-span at all times.

May you be happy, may you be free from suffering.

Then so are the prices for toilet use the same for every nation?

Or will it then exist there also a price differentiation?

Toilets are free at the White Temple.

But may be, he will charge the Chinese to teach them how to wipe their asses properly and don't throw the paper everywhere.

And I wouldn't blame him.

Sounds like you're angling for some part-time employment, but before you apply for this teaching position, make sure you have the proper work permit & credentials.., and you should prepare an instructional video on a loop as well as the requisite "paper."

Use_Toilets_Sign.jpg

Sounds like a wonderful idea.

This could be an opportunity for a new career move as a professional a-se wiper, the work permit could actually be printed on a bog roll making the position official. It could bring a new meaning to the description of having a crap job.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Yes, racism is in fact quite natural here. There is racism even among the same races in Asia.

After 13 years of marriage, my sister in law still refers to me as "farang" and does not consider me a part of the family. I don't think she even knows my name. I live within a few feet of her, and we have not spoken a single word to each other in well over a year. This sort of thing is normal in Asia. So much for Buddhism and the enlightened state here in Thailand. Just because it's a Buddhist country doesn't mean that everybody in the country has reaching the enlightened state, of course. Very few ever do. Like most religion, Buddhism isn't practiced as it should be, as spiritual awakening and enlightenment, but is instead reduced to Dogma, useless prayer and worshipping idols, and sheer nonsense.

I'm Thai. I think most educated people in Thai are not racism. You might misunderstood for the word "farang". It is not racism. "farang" is the same to the word "foreigner" but specific to white people. As you can say Asian is mean Asia people(yellow skin) or European is mean people who living in Europe, etc. Nothing to rude in the word "farang". Why don't you ask your wife?

My older sister married to Aussie. So, I'm brother in law of my sister husband. I'm not living with my sister or her husband, but I know his name, his parent name, his brother name, their job, their origin, and lot of things. It is common, isn't it? I'm so wonder why you've got that experience.

I'm atheist. So, generally I don't mind what Temple do, but in this case(news). I agree with them. We are(Thai) not anti Chinese people(and also all people around the world). We can talk, walk, sit or having meal witht Chinese, but some Chinese hygiene are terrible, especially using toilet. So, instead of reject Chinese prople, just build toilet for them. why it so bad?

Imagine if you were company owner and your partner(who've never listened to you) always mess up office toilet everyday. what would you do? You can't retire them. You can't just tell them. Build new toilet just for them is alternate way to solve the problem, isn't it?

I have no aversion to the Thai building the Chinese separate facilities. The Thai can do what they like in their own country. I am more curious to learn how they plan to enforce this. I mean, are they going to have rest room police checking passports at the entrance, or what? It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

You're obviously a very thoughtful and reasonable fellow, I understand you perfectly. The word "farang" does in fact mean foreigner in Thai. But like any other word and like any other language the connotations with which the word is delivered make all the difference in the world.

Now, sister in law is in fact racist, as she has clearly stated so on many occasion. She does not like foreigners. She does not like Americans. She does not like Europeans. She does not like the Chinese. She pretty much likes Thai people and that's it, near as I can tell. Like I said, she refuses to speak to me, so it is difficult for me to know her mind in the usual manner. I am stuck with knowing her mind only by the dirty looks she gives me, her actions, and when she goes into a tirade about what that "filthy farang" is doing here. I suppose I'd feel terrible about her treatment of me were it not for the fact that she does it to so many other people, too. Sister has issues. It would be wrong of me too judge all Thai people by the way sister behaves. Sister has constipation problems, eating disorders, a bad attitude. She is very beautiful and has pointed her finger all her life and told other people what to do instead of the other way around. So any challenge to her authority will be met with either incredible anger, or with her collapsing into a fetal position in her room and bawling her eyes out. Sister is very very spoiled. Sister always has things her way. And when sister growls the word, "farang! " from deep in her throat, drawing the vowels out long and hard, snarling and showing her teeth, suffice to say it is not a friendly greeting.

I am antitheist (and, yes, there are plenty of atheist and antitheist Buddhists), but I love meditation and would love to find or build a temple wherein the focus was meditation and enlightenment, and not so much focus on prayer and dogma. The Chinese would be invited. I would charge a fee for lavatories (one of the ways the temple could pay for itself), and I would have a lavatory attendant keep it spic-and-span at all times.

I suggest you arrange to have your sister in law euthanized and put out of her misery. She sounds like a right shrew, and that's being polite.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be to difficult really.

All you have to do is have a sign on one in Chinese and signs on the others in Thai and English.

But then you need common sense and logic to work that out and few posters on here appear to have that.

There are many meditation centers in this country, one I went to recently was a temple in Chaloem Rattanakosin National Park (no I don't, just went there for a look).

• Like 1

The Future of Tourism , lovely

Anyone who has spent a bit of time in rural China will be familiar with that kind of behavior

Not only rural China but in major cities.

Admittedly, many move to the cities to work and they are from rural areas of China. Even with full time people cleaning the bathrooms it's never really clean. When you have children to relieve themselves on the sidewalks as an accepted behavior what does everyone expect. I never saw dogs on the streets, only children pissing like animals.

• Like 1

I agree that there is some racism here but your experience of having Thai family is the exact opposite to mine.

And I'm not sure your experience is "normal" here.

From the very beginning, ten years ago, my wife's family accepted me as a member, each and every one of them, and in all respects they are closer to me than my own mother's family in England (I am Scottish, OK?) who have NEVER even tried to keep in contact (although I have).

Because I am the oldest member of my wife's family ( a sort of 'paterfamilias') they ALL pay respect to me at least twice a year, in spite of my protestations to the contrary.

As to the question of separate toilets for Chinese at the White Temple, to compare it to SA apartheid is scurrilous and completely missing the point.

It's about hygiene and the many Chinese who lack it - FACT!

But I agreee with previous posters, it should not be the Thais (and farang) who get a special toilet built - the completely 'kitsch' existing golden temple to toiletry should be barred to Chinese and a separate, easily hosed down and basic block should be built for THEM!

• Like 2

Anyone who has spent a bit of time in rural China will be familiar with that kind of behavior

Not only in the rural parts..... For people who claim "middle earth" and harp on about inventing chopsticks etc they surely are animals in their personal behaviour. I saw a <deleted> spitting on our office floor - carpeted.. I pulled one of my employees and told him to get the client the <deleted> out of our office and he was like "ay? why"? That was where the cultured elitist live, Beijing....

• Like 1

This has all the tones of the Southern American state and South African apartheid days.

Not acceptable in this day and age and hope tourists boycott this place.

no, its not. nice try though.

this is about hygiene, nothing else, get off your high horse

No. I'd say this is about bigotry rather than hygiene

Make it about race if you want, i still say its about shit-smeared toilets.

you make a mess at my house and you are not coming back, period,

I dont care what colour your skin is

A totally irrelevant issue from the OP.

For example, if a Malaysian guy visits your house, gets diarrhoea and accidentally peddle dashes your toilet room walls, than you would further ban all Malaysians from your home or provide a separate toilet for them? As this is what the issue is all about.

Perhaps you would like to see the recent events at the white temple.

Personally I won't be receiving busloads of tourists of any nationality at my house,

People here are complaining about "racism"... It's not racism, it's "shitism" People just don't like others dumping on public floors or sticking sanitary towels on the wall. That's all. Just, in this case, the people dumping everywhere EXCEPT in the toilet are Chinese. As they don't care about offending others with these disgusting acts why should anybody worry about offending them?

• Like 1

I can understand their problem. I was in a little Thai family restaurant in Chiang Mai the other day when a group of Chinese came in. They had a baby that did a huge projectile vomit all over the floor. I waited for them to clean it up or call the staff and apologize. No. The mother just stood up and walked in it like it wasn't there and walked it all around the shop. I called one of the staff over and he cleaned it up. Then they took the baby and removed its nappy and held it over the floor to p*ss or sh*t. I was aghast! The Chinese were somewhat embarrassed by now and put the nappy on floor for it to sh*t on. There was a toilet 10 feet away. The Thai owners just laughed. Next time I was in they said "OK today no Chinese"

• Like 1

Chinese lookalikes but not from China will face a problem visiting toilets huh?

Likely won't have any problems using the toilet, just a matter of which one they'll get to use , a really nasty one or a clean(er) one.
That's the problem..;)

Not only in the rural parts..... For people who claim "middle earth" and harp on about inventing chopsticks etc they surely are animals in their personal behaviour. I saw a <deleted> spitting on our office floor - carpeted.. I pulled one of my employees and told him to get the client the <deleted> out of our office and he was like "ay? why"? That was where the cultured elitist live, Beijing....
I do find their manners difficult to bear. On a very recent trip to Siem Reap, I was sitting in the hotel restaurant having breakfast and in walked a Chinese man, wife and baby. They were eating from the buffet, putting things on their plate and making a mess of it, and when they sat down at the table to eat I was so appalled I had to get up from my breakfast and go into another room and wait until they were finished to go back in there and eat my food.

The man plunked his plate down on the table, then sat down in front of it and bent over with his face about an inch and a half from his food. He picked up a spoon and started shoveling the food into his mouth; one item in particular was a half tomato he crammed into his mug and, realizing it was too big for his mouth, spit it half way out, bit it in half and spit the severed half on the plate. At that, he bit into the half that was still in his mouth and the juices shot out of his mouth and squirt his wife in the face. She didn't seem to notice. Then he sat there talking to her with his mouth full of food, juices running down his chin, and bits of food flying out of his mouth as he yammered away. Before the food was chewed, he swallowed. Before his mouth was empty, he bent over the plate again and shoveled more and more food.

Finally, something got shoveled into is mouth he did not much approve of, and he bent over and spit everything out of his mouth and onto the plate again. He quickly rifled through the matter with his spoon, concluded there was nothing wrong with the food, and quickly started shoveling it back into his mouth again. He stopped to take a drink and fumbled, dropping his spoon on the floor. He reached down and picked up the spoon and started the shoveling in again without even wiping off the spoon.

That was it for me. I set my silverware down, got up and walked out of the restaurant in into the lobby and sat drinking an orange juice, waiting for Mr. Chinese and his family to come out before I could resume eating again. Two of the Cambodian servers in the restaurant followed me out into the lobby. They were just as appalled as I was, and had to take a break from this sordid scenery.

I grew up on a farm. I've killed pigs and cows and castrated them. I've shoveled more turd than you can imagine. But I have never seen anything as nasty as this.

I normally do that after about 10 pints!!!!! They really are mingers!!!!

I can understand their problem. I was in a little Thai family restaurant in Chiang Mai the other day when a group of Chinese came in. They had a baby that did a huge projectile vomit all over the floor. I waited for them to clean it up or call the staff and apologize. No. The mother just stood up and walked in it like it wasn't there and walked it all around the shop. I called one of the staff over and he cleaned it up. Then they took the baby and removed its nappy and held it over the floor to p*ss or sh*t. I was aghast! The Chinese were somewhat embarrassed by now and put the nappy on floor for it to sh*t on. There was a toilet 10 feet away. The Thai owners just laughed. Next time I was in they said "OK today no Chinese"

Hey, these are the quality tourists that the country so dearly needslaugh.png I would think that after all the bad press, the TAT would be reconsidering which markets they are to target. How much do Chinese on tour packages actually contribute to the economy, relative to Europeans and other Westerners who travel by themselves?

Apartheid is alive and well. At a temple.

Sometimes you can't believe these people.

Sometimes it's difficult to believe that some people don't know what apartheid really is. It's certainly nothing to do with toilets.

Well, .... apart from the obvious political restrictions, apartheid did enforce uncountable restrictions on access to toilets, queues, public transport, park benches etc

While I agree to build new toilets, why not another idea first. Provide ass gaskets in the toilets and have Chinese signage as to their use? Then see what happens. Chinese do not want to touch their asses where other asses have been. This is the basis for their squatting habits.

Pissing is another problem. Chinese cannot aim for s%#t! That part I have no clue. They piss everywhere but in the toilet all over China. This is one of the great mysteries of China.