How many blinks per second should blinkers be blinking?

Shurup

In my years of riding and driving in THAILAND, I've noticed the blinkers blink at the different rate, isn't there a standard the manufacturers should be following?

Some blinkers, usually deep in issan and usually on older 2 stroke bikes are at the 0.5 blinks per second.

That is way too slow in my opinion. Sometimes you couldn't tell if they are on or if they're off...

They just go on and then off and then back on... not really blinking. Can't tell if the rider is turning or just playing with the blinker.

On the other end, there are blinkers that go way too fast, 1.3 to 2.5 blinks per second.

I think it's a serious safety issue, especially at the higher rates, sometimes when I look at the high rate blinker on a bike in front of me, I start getting headaches, getting dizzy and get blurred vision... (Should I be concerned?)

What is the right blinking rate for the blinkers?

My 500X does about a blink a second.

I know a lot of cars detect when one of the bulbs is out and speed up the rate of blinking to let the driver know. Perhaps that is what's happening on some of those bikes you saw? Also adding in LED blinkers can change the speed.

Finally, rapid pulses of light can cause epilepsy. Perhaps you want to experiment with a strobe light to determine if that's a factor?

about a blink a second is not accurate enough, need more information.

After seeing a lot of high rate blinking blinkers I try not to look at the blinkers any more but then when I don't look at the blinkers I don't know if the bike's blinkers are on or off, no way to tell if they're turning or not.

Very good and important safety thread.

I have a modulator for my brake lights that blinks a few times and then turns to a solid red (no fool, it's not the modulator that blinks, it's the brake lights)

I can vary the speed of the first few blinks from a blink a sec to probably 10 blinks per second. I would be very interested to know what is the safest blink speed so that I can set it accordingly on my blinking modulator.

• Like 1

Very good and important safety thread.

I have a modulator for my brake lights that blinks a few times and then turns to a solid red (no fool, it's not the modulator that blinks, it's the brake lights)

I can vary the speed of the first few blinks from a blink a sec to probably 10 blinks per second. I would be very interested to know what is the safest blink speed so that I can set it accordingly on my blinking modulator.

All I can say, don't set the blinker rate on your blinker too high, you don't want the driver behind you to have a seizure and rear-end you!

Has there been any research about the safe blinker rate?

What's the weight of your blinker fluid? It's impossible to answer your question with so few details.

I hope Jim kept the blinker manual. If not, do you recommend thinner or thicker blinker fluid?

Maybe he can experiment with different weight fluids, or even with different types of fluids?

What's the weight of your blinker fluid? It's impossible to answer your question with so few details.

I hope Jim kept the blinker manual. If not, do you recommend thinner or thicker blinker fluid?

Maybe he can experiment with different weight fluids, or even with different types of fluids?

It's a difficult and controversial issue- it's dependent on so many factors (suspension setting, rider weight, engine temp, direction of travel, time of day, etc). In the end, though, it boils down to rider preference- I go with a heavier fluid, but I'm a pretty experienced rider- for a noob, I'd suggest going with sometihing lighter and working your way up over a couple of years- the cemeteries are full of guys who thought they were ready for the fast stuff but weren't...

• Like 1

It's a difficult and controversial issue- it's dependent on so many factors (suspension setting, rider weight, engine temp, direction of travel, time of day, etc). In the end, though, it boils down to rider preference- I go with a heavier fluid, but I'm a pretty experienced rider- for a noob, I'd suggest going with sometihing lighter and working your way up over a couple of years- the cemeteries are full of guys who thought they were ready for the fast stuff but weren't...

Didn't realise that it had blinker fluid. I always thought the wet stuff under the seat was just, well, wet stuff. Now I see that I need to consult the manual again. Have to look for it first and will report back with any new discoveries.

What is it called a blink when it sounds more like tick tocking? A blink is silent isn't it? Try blinking your eyes and tell me if you hear anything.

I don't know Jim, I don't hear any tick tock, maybe it coming out of something like this?

Mainimage.jpg

If I were you, I would check the bike thoroughly...

Hmmm.... you think someone sabotaged my bike? Can't be because I've got one of these stickers on it

post-143305-0-91646900-1425115520_thumb.

• Like 1

Ok, I was super wrong. The 500X blinked 16 times over 10 seconds.

And this is why riders get killed- estimation over exactness. It appeared to blink 16 times, but here may well have been lower emission flashes that the camera or your eye couldn't perceive. You need to check using a scintillation counter to work out the correct rate- get it wrong and your next ride could be your last...

Ok, I was super wrong. The 500X blinked 16 times over 10 seconds.

And this is why riders get killed- estimation over exactness. It appeared to blink 16 times, but here may well have been lower emission flashes that the camera or your eye couldn't perceive. You need to check using a scintillation counter to work out the correct rate- get it wrong and your next ride could be your last...

Yeah I screwed the pooch on that....

• Like 2

UK MOT requirement is 60-120 flashes per minute

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm

Good to know there are standards, so 1-2 bpm seems to be the norm.

Wonder what it is in Thailand or if it differs from a country to country.

What about my blinking brakes? Is that legal?

Almost certainly (would be in the UK). I find them incredibly distracting, in poor visibility is he turning or stopping (particularly when the BDI has a non-standard rear light)?

What is wrong with yellow flashers going at 1-2Hz, red tail lights on constantly at about 2 Watts, red stop lights on bright at 21W when braking?

These are globally recognised vehicle illumination (EDIT OK maybe not in the US), anything non-standard causes confusion and potential delay in reacting to the situation. My 2 tons of pickup up the rear of your 100kg motorcycle because I didn't understand your intention to turn right across my path (at least with a yellow flasher I might be on the brakes when I flatten you).