Is 3BB blocking/throttling torrent traffic?

foxontherun

I use 3BB (DSL) as my home ISP in Chiang Mai. Everything was fine until yesterday, when I noticed that torrents would no longer download or upload. They mostly get stuck trying to connect to peers, or the download will begin and then immediately fizzle out. If I disconnect from 3BB, and use my AIS mobile data connection as a hotspot instead, the torrents begin to upload and download normally--same computer, torrent software, and torrents, just a different connection. I know how to work around this. I'm just curious as to whether other customers are experiencing the same issue. Has 3BB implemented something new?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on which package you have.

The basic 590 baht package does throttle connections (also known as bandwidth shaping), 3BB are quite open and up from about that as they say the basic connection is not recommended for p2p or VOIP and is for domestic websites, that means websites hosted in Thailand.

I live in Chiang Mai, I have the FTTx connection and I don't experience any problems.

Anyway, i did the test.

This is the outcome:

Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic

Results for your host (mx-ll-183.X9.XXX-1.dynamic.3bb.co.th - 183.X9.XXX.1):

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

But it doesn't matter. Download a torrent were you know you get fast seeders. For instance, download a linux distribution. Watch the transfer rate and/or measure the time and do the math. As i said before, i get the speed i pay for. Often even more.

Edit - for your last answer.

My package is the 15Mb/1Mb for 900 Baht plus Tax. I'm fine with that. I wish there would be a better ping to the US. But for that we can nothing do.

Edited by alocacoc

I've rarely been able to download torrents in Pattaya. I thought that I was doing something wrong but maybe it's blocked? I have the 3BB (abt) 600 Bath/month package.

I have 3BB in Pattaya and have no problem. Paying Baht 950 a month for whatever package that implies.

I've rarely been able to download torrents in Pattaya. I thought that I was doing something wrong but maybe it's blocked? I have the 3BB (abt) 600 Bath/month package.

I have 3BB in Pattaya and have no problem. Paying Baht 950 a month for whatever package that implies.

Most likely you pay 963 Baht incl. Tax. Like me. This package is fine. Unfortunately FTTx is not possible to get in a condo.

I have 3bb (13/1) in Bangkok, there is no blocking of torrents and it does not discriminate between type of traffic for the most part (sftp and torrent treated the same).

They do manage traffic during peak times (6pm - 12pm) but I find they tend to be selective (depends on the amount of traffic you have pushed through in the last 24hrs). This can reduce the peak transfer of data to 33% of your subscribed package.

On the international lines to the outside world (irrespective of ISP) they do limit the per connection speed (torrents can run on multiple connections so if it is well seeded your download will download at full speed). Things like web traffic, ftp etc, all are single connection applications, torrents are multiple connection - 1 per seed. This limit changes depending on congestion at the time with nighttime having the most per connection shaping going on.

I have managed to transfer a terabyte of data during a given month -- so overall they are fairly lenient and fair. You have to remember that unlike back home where everything is local (lower cost), there are lots of foreigners using 100% international traffic (more expensive) -- so you cannot expect the same.... but in my case - here the ISP is much better than where I came from in respects to torrenting.

I experience torrent throttling with both 3bb and sinet in chiang mai (i have both). One way to get around it is by using a nice and solid vpn connection.

The throttling is not consistent,, and sometimes it seems like it's only for thepiratebay,,, when i can't download torrents using 3bb, i just switch to sinet, and usually that does the trick.. Recently i have been able to download pretty fast using sinet. Popcorn time does not work at all with 3bb,,, but works fine with sinet...

Edited by hobz

I have 3bb in CM and can confirm that the circuits have been up / down like a yoyo for the last few days... Usually during the day with slow throughput to the US and some intermittent 100% down-time... I'm on the 3bb 30/3 plan with fiber to the house... There have been other similar threads in the past few days over the same issue in CM...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've had the basic 590 baht DSL package (I live in a condo, so I can't get fiber) for months, but never once had an issue with 3BB and torrent throttling until yesterday. Something has changed. I will check with them about whether upgrading to the higher level DSL package will resolve the issue, or else start disguising my traffic a bit better. I'm still curious as to whether anyone else has seen a change to his/her 3BB service over the past couple of days.

Crying because you cant download your illegal multimedia content?

Ah, there you are. I've been waiting.

Not that I can see. My torrents actually work pretty good when my internet is OK.

I have been having problems with my internet from 3BB for over 5 months with it being up and down and slow and then fast all over the course of just a few minutes all day long. Sometimes my internet is good for up to a week and then back to up and down and speeds all over the place...totally erratic. They have no idea what the problem is. They tried to tell me it was the line from out front to inside my home and they were wrong. They have put a bypass line in and another modem and the problem still exists. The problem is somewhere from the front of my house to their office and they can't find it.

My worst nightmare, but at least I do have internet...after a fashion.

I don't know what's happening now but a year ago I signed up for the 590 baht package. When a torrent started downloading it was fine at first but then got progressively slower. If I rebooted the router it would start fast again but then slow right down. I upgraded to the 950 baht package and never had a problem after that. Torrents seem to max out at 1.4 MB/s, (11.2 Mb/s) but the speed is steady all the way.

Edited by trd

Sounds possibly like your router ?

Have you forwarded the port for your client ?

Router is fine and port forwarding is fine. No it's the 590 baht (domestic) package which throttles torrents. Had that confirmed by a guy from 3bb.

I am in chiang mai and not having a problem. I do notice that the connection between my router and the BBB repeater station gets screwed up sometimes. If you are using an app or game that locks up the virtual memory and does not release it, this will also cause a problem. Solution: reset your DSL router and do a hard boot on your computer. After the computer shuts down I also unplug it and then hit the start button again. This will clear all of the registers.

Good luck

Certainly looks like it.

Try using a private proxy first, then a VPN if that's not satisfactory.

https://www.sslprivateproxy.com/

I use these guys for stuff, they're good.

Be vary careful using proxy's. They will release your details if you are caught downloading copyright material via. their server.

Their conditions state:-

1. Copyright and Other Propriety Right Infringement: Customer agrees not to infringe on copyrighted, patented, other intellectual property rights, and proprietary material of third parties, under all relevant laws, foreign or domestic, federal, state, or local, including, without limitation, the Copyright Act, as amended, and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

I had this happen to me.

I was served a copyright infringement notice demanding payment or legal action would be taken. However, I ignored it and nothing happened, but it scared the sh*t out of me for a few days

Running the traffic shaping test may or may not be conclusive is the throttling may be time dependent. In Chiang Mai on 13/1 3BB account it is clear they do throttle but usually in the evenings. I can see my torrent graph go from flat out at 1500 kB/s continuously to less then half that and run flat continuously at the lower speed, that is no up/down spikes.