Jupiter Run and Uncle Tom, only 300 thb a bottle, why half price of famous rum? Bad? For cocktails?

How about a shot of Sang Sam with a chaser of Siam Sato?

A few of those and you would wake up to the sound of a thousand Thai drums in your head.

Sang Sam is an amber rum and can give a lot of cocktails a funny color. Amber rums flavor is usually stronger so they go well with a strong flavored mixer like coke. The best amber rums should really be sipped like a good liqueur.

Sang Sam's taste is okay but a bit sweet, and it isn't sipping grade rum. Since it is sweet It is best consumed in sour mixed drinks such as in a Cuba Libre (rum & coke with lime), Coke also hides the amber color. Sang Sam is no worse at producing hangovers than many other rums.

A white rum, on the other hand, is a good mixer since it doesn't add any color to the drink. One of my favorites is a rum driver, white rum mixed with orange juice. If you like rum you will find it is better tasting than a screwdriver made with vodka. Mix Sang Sam with orange juice and it tastes okay but it looks like you are drinking mud.

• Like 2

Sangsom, Sangsom, Sangsom, Sangsom.

I grew up on the "Famous Bundy Rum" is OZ but now I will not drink any other.

Even at home in Oz, I drink it. To buy in OZ you pay BHT 900.

It is sweet, smooth and aromatic.

• Like 1

i get a rum from makro that is just called "R"

they sell "G" (gin) too and "V" (vodka), but the R is my favourite and tastes great to me, although i am no rum expert.

mixed with coke and a slice of lemon and it is a lovely drop...... and i am talking about when drinking it sober too, not just when sloshed.

in hua hin makro it is 199B for a 700ml bottle........ thumbsup.gif

That is how Uncle Tom is marketed, I guess you missed the Uncle Tom before the letter

post-10942-0-16375900-1425198564_thumb.p

Then Marko is 24 Baht cheaper than Tesco in Pattaya

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1

Jupiter white rum and Jupiter vodka are made in Vietnam and are a bit raw to say the least . We've found a much better deal with vodka ,white rum and gin from Singapore called Gilmore , it's not the best but it's best of the worst (if that makes sense) . Not readily available at most outlets but have found two places that sell it , one is Makro at 290 bt a bottle , a steal .

• Like 1

I have done side by side taste test of Sangson, Bacardi and Bacardi 8, and find Sangsom fits nicely in between. Meaning it's definty a good cut above regular brand rums but not quite at the premium range.

If you want taste real nice rum, buy Zucappa. I often add a splash of Zucappa to mojitos made with SangSom and it provides a nice balance.

• Like 1

i get a rum from makro that is just called "R"

they sell "G" (gin) too and "V" (vodka), but the R is my favourite and tastes great to me, although i am no rum expert.

mixed with coke and a slice of lemon and it is a lovely drop...... and i am talking about when drinking it sober too, not just when sloshed.

in hua hin makro it is 199B for a 700ml bottle........ thumbsup.gif

That is how Uncle Tom is marketed, I guess you missed the Uncle Tom before the letter

attachicon.gifuncle tom.png

Then Marko is 24 Baht cheaper than Tesco in Pattaya

no, that is not the one i have here Langsuan

i have checked mine, and i dont have the fancy imagery that you have on your bottle. mine is a simple logo, and i believe the company making it is called "Charles House"

it is good that they keep the names short for the odd occasion that we may need serving whilst drunk.

"Bottle of R please"........ nice and simple.....

more difficult if you were dyslexic and drunk mind

• Like 1

I find Jupiter rum from Big C good value at 300 baht , but last week I was in Tesco in sattahip and they were selling 1 litre bottles of Bacardi for 580 baht , I bought 10 bottles but when I went back later the shelf was empty .

Jupiter white rum and Jupiter vodka are made in Vietnam and are a bit raw to say the least . We've found a much better deal with vodka ,white rum and gin from Singapore called Gilmore , it's not the best but it's best of the worst (if that makes sense) . Not readily available at most outlets but have found two places that sell it , one is Makro at 290 bt a bottle , a steal .

Thanks for that info. I bought a bottle of rum at Tesco once when they had no Uncle Tom and it was undrinkable . Just checked the bottle and sure enough bottled in Vietnam

post-10942-14252039447041_thumb.jpg

If the highest standard you talk about is Bacardi, then there is nothing much to say... Bacardi might be the worst rhum you can buy worldwide, it is so tasteless and really strange, that's why it can only fit with Coke and lemon !

Now for Sang Sum and others made in asia.. i can't even qualify them as Rhum :(

The Indian rhum mentionned here scares me also.. as I tried many types of rhum in Goa.. and what to say?! FuXXing old monk tastes like shit ! and also contain permitted color and flavor !

If you can find something like havana club, it might be already much better, otherwise the Captain Morgan is available here now, it's a spiced one, but I never tried it, maybe it can do the job ! who knows... anyway it can't be worst than sang sum, which I repeat is not RHUM at all.. maybe made from sugar cane.. but I don't know how ^^

Unbelievable what people on this forum call good value, as long as it is cheap.

I have some real piss for 30 baht a liter. Anyone want to try?

dont knock it till you have tried it mate (that is unless you see someone else try it, and then go blind, in which case you would be wise to skip that one)

my bottle of R at 200b is real tasty, and my vision in one eye is still good blink.png

What does really tasty means for you.. what kind of REAL rhum can you compare this with ?

do you drink rhum streight ? on the rocks ? or mixed with juices or soda ?

I love Uncle Tom and I am a life long Bacardi drinker. I also wish it came in a larger bottle since it is such a PITA to have to buy so many bottles since Tesco can't seem to keep anything in stock

I always take a couple of bottles with me back to the US and am just waiting to get checked at customs and I know if I do, with my luck, it will be an African American inspector who will probably suddenly decide I need a full cavity search

The OP might want to check their web site and they have a "contact us" form and they may offer larger sizes

Customs will not bother you with a couple extra bottles, as long as you declare it. The tax on a half gallon of booze isn't worth the time it takes to calculate the taxes and fill out the forms. Just be sure to declare it on that form they ask to fill out, not declaring is tantamount to smuggling, the fine on that is worth their time and effort if they take a cotton picking bad attitude with you.

I usually use the Uncle Tom gin for gin& tonic, tastes okay for the price. 222 baht at Big C in Pattaya

If the highest standard you talk about is Bacardi, then there is nothing much to say... Bacardi might be the worst rhum you can buy worldwide, it is so tasteless and really strange, that's why it can only fit with Coke and lemon !

Now for Sang Sum and others made in asia.. i can't even qualify them as Rhum sad.png

The Indian rhum mentionned here scares me also.. as I tried many types of rhum in Goa.. and what to say?! FuXXing old monk tastes like shit ! and also contain permitted color and flavor !

If you can find something like havana club, it might be already much better, otherwise the Captain Morgan is available here now, it's a spiced one, but I never tried it, maybe it can do the job ! who knows... anyway it can't be worst than sang sum, which I repeat is not RHUM at all.. maybe made from sugar cane.. but I don't know how ^^

Don't even bother with the Captain Morgan; it's a spice rum, and if I recall correctly, it is 38% ABV (76 proof). This rum is awful, whether mixed or not.

My favorite rum is Mount Gay, however it's unlikely to ever show up in Thailand. Until then, I will stick to Sang Som.

Ok.... Let's just get this right... You need a large amount of rum for cocktails.... But you have not researched the local market ?.... You must be a real cocktail expert huh?

Snide remarks do nothing to answer what seems to be a valid question from the OP.

• Like 1

I love Uncle Tom and I am a life long Bacardi drinker. I also wish it came in a larger bottle since it is such a PITA to have to buy so many bottles since Tesco can't seem to keep anything in stock

I always take a couple of bottles with me back to the US and am just waiting to get checked at customs and I know if I do, with my luck, it will be an African American inspector who will probably suddenly decide I need a full cavity search

The OP might want to check their web site and they have a "contact us" form and they may offer larger sizes

Customs will not bother you with a couple extra bottles, as long as you declare it. The tax on a half gallon of booze isn't worth the time it takes to calculate the taxes and fill out the forms. Just be sure to declare it on that form they ask to fill out, not declaring is tantamount to smuggling, the fine on that is worth their time and effort if they take a cotton picking bad attitude with you.

I usually use the Uncle Tom gin for gin& tonic, tastes okay for the price. 222 baht at Big C in Pattaya

Boy you really missed that one

Read it again . The point was the NAME, not the quantity or the declaration

Unbelievable what people on this forum call good value, as long as it is cheap.

I have some real piss for 30 baht a liter. Anyone want to try?

If its 18 year old female virgin wee.

Put me down for a liter . thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang
  • Like 1

Ok.... Let's just get this right... You need a large amount of rum for cocktails.... But you have not researched the local market ?.... You must be a real cocktail expert huh?

It would appear that is what he is attempting to do here now. Would be smart aleck trolling is neither helpful nor really all that amusing, IMO.

• Like 1

Ever tried Appleton's Jamaican rum? Yummy!! Or for a real experience Queensland Inner Circle OP (160 proof) or Lemon Heart & sons rum. Drink sitting down & don't plan anything for later that day. Here I Drink Sang Som rum (not whiskey) & cola (Coke Zero or Pepi Max.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

An inappropriate comment has been removed from view. Please abide by forum rules:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I regularly Enjoy Uncle Tom Gin quite smooth in taste and if placed in the freezer it is comparable to Suntory Roku Gin at 1700 baht at bottle. I say Uncle Tom perfect with any mixer or cocktail great value. And strangely enough if you indulge to much you fall over just the same as any other Gin.

3999EFED-9B34-45A6-95B5-D822A1EEA966.jpeg

4DA1989E-7FBE-48EC-9772-DC3DBB675DB7.webp