Jupiter Run and Uncle Tom, only 300 thb a bottle, why half price of famous rum? Bad? For cocktails?

Hello,

We need a large quantity of Rum for cocktails and I am surprised to find in supermarkets that most rum bottles cost around 700/800 thb but 2 brands sell it around 300 thb.

I found Jupiter Rum and Uncle Tom Rum, they seem to be locally made.

I wonder if anyone who knows about rum could tell me if the price difference is maybe only due to import tax ? So they should be ok for cocktails ?

There is another rum made in Phuket called Chalong bay and this one is sold the same price as international brands, around 700thb, this is why i wonder about the cheapest bottles that i found.

Do you think the guests will have a terrible headache/hangover if we buy only the cheapest rum ?

Do you recommend any other rum made in Thailand that is cheap and good ?

Thank yo for your insight about rum ! I really know nothing.

Anyone else ind "Uncle Tom" Rum funny? With the picture of the old black guy smoking a pipe on the front? Maybe it's because I'm from the southern USA where you have to read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in high school, but seriously however created this brand had to be in on the joke. I think it tastes like crap too, we use it at work sometimes.

• Like 2

Ok.... Let's just get this right... You need a large amount of rum for cocktails.... But you have not researched the local market ?.... You must be a real cocktail expert huh?

Thank you Mr Clown, very useful reply.

Thank you to other, so it seems that I won't injure anyone if I buy the uncle tom or another cheaper local rum.

Edited by thefactoryoutlet
  • Like 1

I love Uncle Tom and I am a life long Bacardi drinker. I also wish it came in a larger bottle since it is such a PITA to have to buy so many bottles since Tesco can't seem to keep anything in stock

I always take a couple of bottles with me back to the US and am just waiting to get checked at customs and I know if I do, with my luck, it will be an African American inspector who will probably suddenly decide I need a full cavity search

The OP might want to check their web site and they have a "contact us" form and they may offer larger sizes

http://www.chaopraya.biz

• Like 2

Anyone else ind "Uncle Tom" Rum funny? With the picture of the old black guy smoking a pipe on the front? Maybe it's because I'm from the southern USA where you have to read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in high school, but seriously however created this brand had to be in on the joke. I think it tastes like crap too, we use it at work sometimes.

You probably missed the days of "Darkie" tooth paste with the top hatted minstrel on the box.

Name was changed to Darlie, several years ago.

In Oz we have Coon Cheese. Coon was not really a term used in Oz for dark people until it was picked up from overseas media.

The name is from Edward Coon who developed the cooning process for manufacture (don't ask me for details).

Edited by Cats4ever
  • Like 2

Ok.... Let's just get this right... You need a large amount of rum for cocktails.... But you have not researched the local market ?.... You must be a real cocktail expert huh?

Thank you Mr Clown, very useful reply.

Thank you to other, so it seems that I won't injure anyone if I buy the uncle tom or another cheaper local rum.

I have found that Sang Som is great, I am a rum bringer and it suits me just fine.

• Like 2

i get a rum from makro that is just called "R"

they sell "G" (gin) too and "V" (vodka), but the R is my favourite and tastes great to me, although i am no rum expert.

mixed with coke and a slice of lemon and it is a lovely drop...... and i am talking about when drinking it sober too, not just when sloshed.

in hua hin makro it is 199B for a 700ml bottle........ thumbsup.gif

• Like 1