Survey: Should the Composition of the EU Change?

Scott

Should the Composition of the EU change?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the past couple of weeks, there has been news centering on the relationship between Greece, the EU and the Euro. Given that there are other countries in the EU that have similar problems, do you think the composition of the EU needs to change?

Please feel free to make comments about your thoughts on the EU.

The collapse of the Soviet Union......followed by the European Union.....one wonders......but hey, its politicians who decide...influenced by the big corporations......doomed to fail in the longterm....cultural.....financial...

• Like 2

United we stand, divided we fall.

That was the motto of the EU when it was formed back in November 1993.

They all knew that there would be ups and downs, but they all had confidence that everything could overcome.

Nothing should change now and the "one for all and all for one" should stand.

• Like 1

EU and Euro are separate issues

A great deal of nonsense spouted on both topics

Of course the EU is a great concept and there are always adjustments that need to be made.

With globalisation, the huge internal market the EU provides enables competitiveness.

The little englanders who want out would be better off why the UK opted out of the social chapters!

Euro was a good idea not fully thought through. Should have stayed with an ERM snake for a decade to weed out any weaklings

Poll is not well worded. Please consider

Steady on....

I am British and proud of it!

I just happen to take the view that we gain much more ( and could gain more) if we stayed within the EU and changed a few things from within.

Having lived and worked in mainland Europe, I know from experience that the UK misses out on some facets.

The collapse of the Soviet Union......followed by the European Union.....one wonders......but hey, its politicians who decide...influenced by the big corporations......doomed to fail in the longterm....cultural.....financial...

The collapse of the Soviet Union was followed by the collapse of the Yugoslavian Union...

...influenced by the big corporations... -snip-

You really hate corporations, don't you? That's too bad considering all of the modern products, technology, medicines etc. they provide us with. That's not to mention all of the jobs they create. I really don't want to live in the 1800's.

But hey, if you just look around. You could find the biggest, baddest, mofo corporation that you see making all of those obscene evil profits,

Buy some stock and you too could be a greedy capitalist!!! intheclub.gif

DaveAustin writes : "Chance of a WWIII within Europe has past by now I should think"

When will people understand that the EU is not a military alliance but an Union based on the principles of free movements of people, merchandise and capital

For military issues there is the defensive pact of NATO but some EU members are not member of NATO and some NATO members are not member of EU : both are very different things but I must suspect that even Putin does not (want) understand this.

EU and Euro are separate issues

A great deal of nonsense spouted on both topics

Of course the EU is a great concept and there are always adjustments that need to be made.

With globalisation, the huge internal market the EU provides enables competitiveness.

The little englanders who want out would be better off why the UK opted out of the social chapters!

Euro was a good idea not fully thought through. Should have stayed with an ERM snake for a decade to weed out any weaklings

Poll is not well worded. Please consider

Thats really the problem, The UK depends on the internal EU market too much, and is not able to negotiate independently trade deals.

If the UK had stayed in the ERM the UK would be in a worse situation now than it is.

Happy to trade with the EU but no way could we join the Euro. Hope the Euro fails, and Brussels powers are reduced significantly.

Better to fix things from within IMHO.

Yes immigration within EU borders needs some tightening. For example must have job first.

Also Schengen rules need tightening.

However, UK people would be better adopting some of the social regulations

And yes, fortunate that the snake spat us out! Pity the Greeks were not so lucky!

The forming of the EU was never for the peoples benefit but for big business they could access labor in the countries where people worked for the least amount of money and set up shop and have free access to 25 other countries for their goods. They could move cheap labor around the Euro zone. When labor costs get to high they just collapse their tent and leave for cheaper pastures. All this printing of phantom money should be abolished its ruining the world. Governments are nothing but big business lackeys the same big business that funds their re-election campaign. We the workers are on the outside looking in. Yes this whole scam will fall apart hopefully after I have departed this earthly plane.

That's why they have such high unemployment and hardly any manufacturing in Germany! (Warning - IRONY sensitive sunglasses on)

I can't be bothered to explain but The Economist is a good read.........

What the EU has morphed into in the last 30 years or so has been an unmitigated disaster.

The sooner that the whole thing comes crashing down, the sooner it will be better for all involved.

@ Grouse

I just happen to take the view that we gain much more ( and could gain more) if we stayed within the EU and changed a few things from within.

I would be grateful if you would take the time to list the top 10 things that you believe that the UK gains from being in the EU ?

Just like "What did the Romans ever do for us"?

I can't be bothered to list everything but

Roughly 50% of our export market

A huge captive market for The City

A reason for American, Japanese, Korean firms to set up in the UK

Civilised social laws

Tough food hygiene regs

I'll ponder and get back with a few more.

However, I am attracted to European social democracy much more than American winner takes all democracy.......

What the EU has morphed into in the last 30 years or so has been an unmitigated disaster.

The sooner that the whole thing comes crashing down, the sooner it will be better for all involved.

@ Grouse

I would be grateful if you would take the time to list the top 10 things that you believe that the UK gains from being in the EU ?

Just like "What did the Romans ever do for us"?

I can't be bothered to list everything but

Roughly 50% of our export market

A huge captive market for The City

A reason for American, Japanese, Korean firms to set up in the UK

Civilised social laws

Tough food hygiene regs

I'll ponder and get back with a few more.

However, I am attracted to European social democracy much more than American winner takes all democracy.......

http://www.euromove.org.uk/index.php?id=15296

Multiple papers here spell out the benefits

Yes there are loads of things that need fixing, but let's do it from the inside!

Ever lived and worked in mainland Europe? Try it!

Years ago, we had a weekend pub outing to Hockenheim for the Grand Prix (via Amsterdam!) . Before, I would say 9/10 of the guys were anti-Europe and particularly anti-German. Over one weekend, they had all seen the light (no not the red lights) and couldn't stop going on about how much better everything was than at home......

"Yes, countries who cannot pay their own way should be removed"

Mixing Eu and Euro issue is meaningless

Please consider rewording.

Main issue for many seems to be is EU membership worth the club fees..........

• Like 1