Survey: Should the Composition of the EU Change?

Scott

Should the Composition of the EU change?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Originally, when the French trying to relieve the pressure of their shame in WW2, created the Common Market through the "European Iron and Steel" association, they saw that it could be a "new Empire" - with of course, France at its helm.

It must not be forgotten that in the Treaty of Rome which created the current "European Union" a single 'country' with a single Law, with its own Armed Forces, would be created.

And...its own currency.

During the 'reign' of Giscard d'Estaing the words, "ever closer union" though always the specific goal of the mandarins of the EU - became more prominent.

When recruiting "new countries/colonies" for its growing Empire, the EU would spend huge amounts of money (from the taxpayers of the nation states - because the EU itself had no income as such.) to buy politicians in the "target member countries".

In effect it was not difficult in the so called "Mediterranean Countries" to find corruptible politicians. These were wined and dined, provided with "pleasure companions" and given sometimes enormous gifts of money. Once compromised by the EU's gold, they literally sold their country to the EU.

Ukraine was the only country, whose politicians (corrupt to a fault) took the enormous bribes (nearly 1 billion euro) mostly from Germany in return for joining the EU - and NATO - which voted NO to joining the EU in November 2013.

The Germans were furious because they had after all bribed these politicians and they expected a return on their money.

When the Ukraine's Parliament refused again Germany sent in agents to destabilise the Ukraine's democratically elected Government. In addition they paid for and supported neo-nazi groups like Right Sektor and Swoboda to terrorise the Ukraine's Russian speaking people - who - to plan fled east - many into the Crimean Peninsula.

There is no doubt that if Germany and the EU had not meddled in the affairs of the Ukraine - the Crimea would still belong to the Ukraine and the Civil War would not have started.

When the "euro" the currency of the European Union as it was now called, came into being it was purely a "Political Currency" - it still is.

There is NO European Central Bank - the ECB gets close to the idea but has no power to enforce, for example, interest rates, revaluation or devaluation.

When Chirac became President of France he turned his gaze upon Greece which was a member of the EU and NATO, but whose simple mostly agricultural economy was insufficient to qualify for entry to the euro.

Greece's politicians were easily purchased, that was never a problem for the EU.

But the Greek economy was in very poor shape, its Government corrupt and self-serving and entry to the euro was impossible.

Chirac set up a scheme whereby French banks - Societe Generale, Paribas and Credit Agricole put billions of the new euro, through Goldman Sachs - but not in Paris in Goldman's New York office to, in the space of a few months, restore Greece to a viable economy.

Samaras, as the Greek Premier told Chirac that he was certain that, "Greece could never even hope to repay even a small fraction of these loans - which were entitled "EU Development Loans."

In return for their loans France was given huge National Projects like the Pireus Port refurbishment, the Inter Island Ferries, Post Office, mega Highways, Railways and on and on.

The Germans complained and Chirac "Gave" Chancellor Helmut Kohl the "Athens Airport" development - and then told the Greeks that the Germans would be handling that Project.

This was known as the "Rape of the PIIGS" - Portugal, Ireland, Italy and Spain.

In Spain alone, German Banks lent EU money to Spanish banks to build hundreds of thousands of houses, shops and schools in remote areas. Over 95% remain empty to this day. Germany built 34 new and EXTRA Airports in Spain many of which have never been used.

In December the EU stopped the building of 4 airports in Poland by German Banks using "EU Loans" because their own report showed that there was not sufficient population for even one airport.

Poland however, ended up with the husks of the new airports and 3.4 billion euros in EU Loans.

One may wonder why the UK whose population are anti-EU still remain. The answer ashamedly is that their 3 main political Parties were also compromised in the EU fashion.

The EU Commission styles itself as the "Government of Governments" and indeed this is not an empty boast.

The EU "Parliament" is a rubber stamp machine for the Commission. The so called "Parliament" cannot introduce any form of legislation, nor can it repeal existing laws - all comes from the EU Commission - 32 bureaucrats - unelected and untouchable.

The EU should not be "modified" it should be disbanded.

UNQUOTE

....and then let the European nations as they did before go to war again with each other while the UK will divide and rule...

What you are spitting out without any evidence is still cheaper than the many European wars of the last 1000 years...and mainly the last 100 years.

Originally, when the French trying to relieve the pressure of their shame in WW2, created the Common Market through the "European Iron and Steel" association, they saw that it could be a "new Empire" - with of course, France at its helm.

It must not be forgotten that in the Treaty of Rome which created the current "European Union" a single 'country' with a single Law, with its own Armed Forces, would be created.

And...its own currency.

During the 'reign' of Giscard d'Estaing the words, "ever closer union" though always the specific goal of the mandarins of the EU - became more prominent.

When recruiting "new countries/colonies" for its growing Empire, the EU would spend huge amounts of money (from the taxpayers of the nation states - because the EU itself had no income as such.) to buy politicians in the "target member countries".

In effect it was not difficult in the so called "Mediterranean Countries" to find corruptible politicians. These were wined and dined, provided with "pleasure companions" and given sometimes enormous gifts of money. Once compromised by the EU's gold, they literally sold their country to the EU.

Ukraine was the only country, whose politicians (corrupt to a fault) took the enormous bribes (nearly 1 billion euro) mostly from Germany in return for joining the EU - and NATO - which voted NO to joining the EU in November 2013.

The Germans were furious because they had after all bribed these politicians and they expected a return on their money.

When the Ukraine's Parliament refused again Germany sent in agents to destabilise the Ukraine's democratically elected Government. In addition they paid for and supported neo-nazi groups like Right Sektor and Swoboda to terrorise the Ukraine's Russian speaking people - who - to plan fled east - many into the Crimean Peninsula.

There is no doubt that if Germany and the EU had not meddled in the affairs of the Ukraine - the Crimea would still belong to the Ukraine and the Civil War would not have started.

When the "euro" the currency of the European Union as it was now called, came into being it was purely a "Political Currency" - it still is.

There is NO European Central Bank - the ECB gets close to the idea but has no power to enforce, for example, interest rates, revaluation or devaluation.

When Chirac became President of France he turned his gaze upon Greece which was a member of the EU and NATO, but whose simple mostly agricultural economy was insufficient to qualify for entry to the euro.

Greece's politicians were easily purchased, that was never a problem for the EU.

But the Greek economy was in very poor shape, its Government corrupt and self-serving and entry to the euro was impossible.

Chirac set up a scheme whereby French banks - Societe Generale, Paribas and Credit Agricole put billions of the new euro, through Goldman Sachs - but not in Paris in Goldman's New York office to, in the space of a few months, restore Greece to a viable economy.

Samaras, as the Greek Premier told Chirac that he was certain that, "Greece could never even hope to repay even a small fraction of these loans - which were entitled "EU Development Loans."

In return for their loans France was given huge National Projects like the Pireus Port refurbishment, the Inter Island Ferries, Post Office, mega Highways, Railways and on and on.

The Germans complained and Chirac "Gave" Chancellor Helmut Kohl the "Athens Airport" development - and then told the Greeks that the Germans would be handling that Project.

In Spain alone, German Banks lent EU money to Spanish banks to build hundreds of thousands of houses, shops and schools in remote areas. Over 95% remain empty to this day. Germany built 34 new and EXTRA Airports in Spain many of which have never been used.

In December the EU stopped the building of 4 airports in Poland by German Banks using "EU Loans" because their own report showed that there was not sufficient population for even one airport.

Poland however, ended up with the husks of the new airports and 3.4 billion euros in EU Loans.

One may wonder why the UK whose population are anti-EU still remain. The answer ashamedly is that their 3 main political Parties were also compromised in the EU fashion.

The EU Commission styles itself as the "Government of Governments" and indeed this is not an empty boast.

The EU "Parliament" is a rubber stamp machine for the Commission. The so called "Parliament" cannot introduce any form of legislation, nor can it repeal existing laws - all comes from the EU Commission - 32 bureaucrats - unelected and untouchable.

Do give Mr Putin my regards.......

DaveAustin writes : "Chance of a WWIII within Europe has past by now I should think"

When will people understand that the EU is not a military alliance but an Union based on the principles of free movements of people, merchandise and capital

For military issues there is the defensive pact of NATO but some EU members are not member of NATO and some NATO members are not member of EU : both are very different things but I must suspect that even Putin does not (want) understand this.

Actually even Merkel recently used the excuse that the EU has help avoid another war between Germany and rest of Europe. Ever German Chancellor has used this excuse as a means to further EU intergration. But it is a red herring!

DaveAustin is right. Unfortunately the Ukraine may be the cuase of WW3, But they are not in the EU so are an external threat for the EU. Are there not move to create An EU military force outside of NATO?

• Like 1

What the EU has morphed into in the last 30 years or so has been an unmitigated disaster.

The sooner that the whole thing comes crashing down, the sooner it will be better for all involved.

@ Grouse

I just happen to take the view that we gain much more ( and could gain more) if we stayed within the EU and changed a few things from within.

I would be grateful if you would take the time to list the top 10 things that you believe that the UK gains from being in the EU ?

Just like "What did the Romans ever do for us"?

I can't be bothered to list everything but

Roughly 50% of our export market

A huge captive market for The City

A reason for American, Japanese, Korean firms to set up in the UK

Civilised social laws

Tough food hygiene regs

I'll ponder and get back with a few more.

However, I am attracted to European social democracy much more than American winner takes all democracy.......

Not a very substantial list, is it.

As the UK is a Net Importer, the export market is a bit of a moot point. It can also be pointed out, that if you produce goods at a price that people are happy to pay, you will export whether you are part of the EU or not.

Every other reason that you list, could still be done even if not in the EU.

I have worked extensively in the EU. I do not have the same experience that you appear to have. Neither does a lot of other people. The rise in Anti EU Parties seem to be testament to that.

Did you have a chance to look at this site?

http://www.euromove.org.uk/index.php?id=15296

The rise in "anti" parties always happens when things are a little tough. Easy to blame some soft target in my opinion.

No, I would be very nervous of throwing the baby out as it were.

UK is not the super power it once was.

What do you think would be the effect on The City?

Foreign investment?

Finally, the countries I lived and worked in (Germany and Denmark) felt rather more civilised than UK these days...

Where did you experience?

Each to their own!

As far as I can see the EU is run by a bunch of parasitic unelected bureaucrats, how can that possibly be a good idea?

I notice my posts lately are all sounding way too negative, but unfortunately there is no positive way to discuss it what is really going on in the world. As opposed to the nonsense the media keeps throwing at us. Maybe better move over to organic farming for a while.

• Like 1

The EU has been an interesting experiment in government and in spite of the problems that it faces, it has shed a great deal of light on cooperation can overcome adversity. Considering that it was less than a 100 years ago that almost everyone In Europe was at war, the steps forward have been astronomically successful.

The EU is evolving and changing and how it handles the current growing pains will determine a lot of how well it does in the future.

There are a lot of negative opinions, and that is to be expected. I don't know any group of people who aren't critical of government. Just take a look at the threads running on the US and if those don't ring your bell take a look at the ones on Australia.

Best of luck to the EU. It's a great idea.

...influenced by the big corporations... -snip-

You really hate corporations, don't you? That's too bad considering all of the modern products, technology, medicines etc. they provide us with. That's not to mention all of the jobs they create. I really don't want to live in the 1800's.

But hey, if you just look around. You could find the biggest, baddest, mofo corporation that you see making all of those obscene evil profits,

Buy some stock and you too could be a greedy capitalist!!! intheclub.gif

Your last sentence.....odd way to prove my point....

There are a number or issues involved.

1. The whole thing needs a massive rethink and the objectives rethought. Starting from scratch would be the best solution!

2. Allowing countries to join who did not meet the criteria, of which one of the original members, if I remember correctly France did not strictly meet the criteria either is crass.

3. There should be an exit clause that makes states that fail to meet the financial criteria, be ejected.

4. One of the two parliaments should be scrapped, Strasbourg to be precise.

5. Expensive trips to far away exotic places for scores of people who have no good reason to be there should be scrapped.

6. During the whole life of the 'institution', call it what you will, they have never produced a set of audited accounts and never will. They have blocked every attempt by auditors to have them comply. Therefore my view is scrap the whole unethical and totally corrupt 'organisation'. If it was a company you can well imagine exactly what would happen!

As long as there are 27 parliaments on top of all the central bureaucracy running the show it's an invitation to fail.

Bearing in mind that the populations of various countries have become disillusioned with the whole corrupt, inefficient and over controlling unelected bureaucrats is it any wonder the dire straights it is in. Furthermore the turmoil will continue to repeat itself.

• Like 1

United we stand, divided we fall.

That was the motto of the EU when it was formed back in November 1993.

They all knew that there would be ups and downs, but they all had confidence that everything could overcome.

Nothing should change now and the "one for all and all for one" should stand.

Scared about the safety of your pension?

Greece is surviving on the expenses of different other countries for the last 120 years. I would say get your (deleted) up, get rid of incompetent governments build up industries to produce something useful except flokati an tsatsiki and pay proper tax for a change to repay your billions in depth.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

1. The whole thing needs a massive rethink and the objectives rethought. Starting from scratch would be the best solution!

2. Allowing countries to join who did not meet the criteria, of which one of the original members, if I remember correctly France did not strictly meet the criteria either is crass.

3. There should be an exit clause that makes states that fail to meet the financial criteria, be ejected.

5. Expensive trips to far away exotic places for scores of people who have no good reason to be there should be scrapped.

6. During the whole life of the 'institution', call it what you will, they have never produced a set of audited accounts and never will. They have blocked every attempt by auditors to have them comply. Therefore my view is scrap the whole unethical and totally corrupt 'organisation'. If it was a company you can well imagine exactly what would happen!

As long as there are 27 parliaments on top of all the central bureaucracy running the show it's an invitation to fail.

Bearing in mind that the populations of various countries have become disillusioned with the whole corrupt, inefficient and over controlling unelected bureaucrats is it any wonder the dire straights it is in. Furthermore the turmoil will continue to repeat itself.

Best separate the Euro issue from the EU issue.

Yes there are many issues that need fixing including making it more Democratic, forcing proper audited accounts and ditching Strasbourg.

But overall the benefits hugely outweigh the disadvantages. Pity there isn't a more assertive press - maybe the good news doesn't sell papers. The Economist is certainly pro for. What it's worth!

Did you know that Greek state pension is 111% of national average wage compared to 43% for UK?

Best separate the Euro issue from the EU issue.

Yes there are many issues that need fixing including making it more Democratic, forcing proper audited accounts and ditching Strasbourg.

But overall the benefits hugely outweigh the disadvantages. Pity there isn't a more assertive press - maybe the good news doesn't sell papers. The Economist is certainly pro for. What it's worth!

Did you know that Greek state pension is 111% of national average wage compared to 43% for UK?

And that Ladies and Gentlemen, is one of the reasons they are where the are today. Self Denialtopia.

• Like 1

What the EU has morphed into in the last 30 years or so has been an unmitigated disaster.

The sooner that the whole thing comes crashing down, the sooner it will be better for all involved.

@ Grouse

I just happen to take the view that we gain much more ( and could gain more) if we stayed within the EU and changed a few things from within.

I would be grateful if you would take the time to list the top 10 things that you believe that the UK gains from being in the EU ?

Civilised social laws

Tough food hygiene regs

However, I am attracted to European social democracy much more than American winner takes all democracy.......

Sorry. Roughly 30% of our export market. The EU apologists always include British products sent to Rotterdam and other EU ports for onward shipping to rest of the world as "EU trade". And you seem to think that the EU would spit out the dummy and refuse to trade with Britain if we left. They sell more to us than we do to them.

The UK factories of the Japanese car companies who set up in Britain are consistantly their most productive worldwide. Are they going to shut them down and move to France (long lunch breaks, then a strike), or Spain (long lunch breaks, then a longer sleep)?

Not sure what "civilised social laws" means, but in Britain, I think it means that you cannot deport a foreign murderer or hate preacher because it would interfere with his right to family life with his cat, in his free house.

Everyone I know managed to not die of food poisoning in Britain, even before we joined the (then) Common Market.

I cannot comment on the City. My only experience of working in finance was working at the Halifax head office forty years ago. I was no good at it.

The EU has been an interesting experiment in government and in spite of the problems that it faces, it has shed a great deal of light on cooperation can overcome adversity. Considering that it was less than a 100 years ago that almost everyone In Europe was at war, the steps forward have been astronomically successful.

The EU is evolving and changing and how it handles the current growing pains will determine a lot of how well it does in the future.

There are a lot of negative opinions, and that is to be expected. I don't know any group of people who aren't critical of government. Just take a look at the threads running on the US and if those don't ring your bell take a look at the ones on Australia.

Best of luck to the EU. It's a great idea.

You obviously do not come from one of the few countries that bankroll the EU. Not Greek or Bulgarian are you? The EU is NOT a government. The EU countries have their own. It is just an unelected body (the parliament is nothing), enforcing laws on sovereign countries. A gravy train for failed politicians and beaurocrats.

• Like 1

It can't work if you mix poor and rich countries and allow free movement between populations.

The people from the poor countries move to the rich countries to take advantage of the rich countries social policies and drag them down.

EU without freedom of movement but mixing rich and poor countries could work.

EU with freedom of movement, but only rich countries (or poor countries) should work.

As it stands, hopeless.

• Like 1

@ Grouse

Civilised social laws

Tough food hygiene regs

Sorry. Roughly 30% of our export market. The EU apologists always include British products sent to Rotterdam and other EU ports for onward shipping to rest of the world as "EU trade". And you seem to think that the EU would spit out the dummy and refuse to trade with Britain if we left. They sell more to us than we do to them.

The UK factories of the Japanese car companies who set up in Britain are consistantly their most productive worldwide. Are they going to shut them down and move to France (long lunch breaks, then a strike), or Spain (long lunch breaks, then a longer sleep)?

Not sure what "civilised social laws" means, but in Britain, I think it means that you cannot deport a foreign murderer or hate preacher because it would interfere with his right to family life with his cat, in his free house.

Everyone I know managed to not die of food poisoning in Britain, even before we joined the (then) Common Market.

I cannot comment on the City. My only experience of working in finance was working at the Halifax head office forty years ago. I was no good at it.

"The EU remains the UK's largest overseas market, accounting for around 60% of national exports. The negative impact of the UK leaving the EU would be significant on UK companies and the balance of trade."

Lesley Bachelor, Director General at the Institute of Export (May 2014)

And...its own currency.

My thoughts exactly, but much better researched. If you were in England, you would make a fine UKIP candidate. You should copy this post to Nigal Farage.

And...its own currency.

My thoughts exactly, but much better researched. If you were in England, you would make a fine UKIP candidate. You should copy this post to Nigal Farage.

And...its own currency.

Oops, "Nigel".

@ Grouse

Civilised social laws

Tough food hygiene regs

"The EU remains the UK's largest overseas market, accounting for around 60% of national exports. The negative impact of the UK leaving the EU would be significant on UK companies and the balance of trade."

Lesley Bachelor, Director General at the Institute of Export (May 2014)

More than 1,300 Japanese companies have invested in the UK, as part of the single market of the EU, and have created 130,000 jobs, more than anywhere else in Europe. This fact demonstrates that the advantage of the UK as a gateway to the European market has attracted Japanese investment. The government of Japan expects the UK to maintain this favourable role.”

Embassy of Japan in the United Kingdom (July 2013)

Shall I continue?

More than 1,300 Japanese companies have invested in the UK, as part of the single market of the EU, and have created 130,000 jobs, more than anywhere else in Europe. This fact demonstrates that the advantage of the UK as a gateway to the European market has attracted Japanese investment. The government of Japan expects the UK to maintain this favourable role.”

Embassy of Japan in the United Kingdom (July 2013

Well done the Japanese clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

What a sad state of affairs the UK has become when we have to trumpet all that Japan does for us.

The UK is currently on a trade deficit of some 200 Billion quid Annually. Dress it up any way you want, until it reverses that trade deficit, it is never going to get out of the financial hole that it is currently in.

All these exports that you continually trumpet about. Are they BRITISH exports ? Or exports by OTHER NATIONALITIES who pay the UK a token payment in Corporation tax ?

You really do not seem to have much of a clue.

• Like 1

What a sad state of affairs the UK has become when we have to trumpet all that Japan does for us.

The UK is currently on a trade deficit of some 200 Billion quid Annually. Dress it up any way you want, until it reverses that trade deficit, it is never going to get out of the financial hole that it is currently in.

All these exports that you continually trumpet about. Are they BRITISH exports ? Or exports by OTHER NATIONALITIES who pay the UK a token payment in Corporation tax ?

I was considering British jobs and all exports including services and intangibles

What is your beef about foreign owned business? A Land Rover is still a Land Rover even though the company is owned by the Indian company Tata.

In general, I believe the British economy benefits from membership of the EU

I'm sorry you feel I "don't have much of a clue"....

I think I have backed up my points reasonably well.

I'm always comforted when people resort to insults as it shows I am clearly winning the argument.

Finally, it's not the EU's fault that Thatcher and Co wasted all our oil revenues and shut down most manufacturing industry without re-investing in skills and new technologies! Don't get me going on that!

You must admit that Germany has done pretty well over the years? Maybe they're just better than us?

"That’s the chief reason we’re in favour of the UK maintaining its long-established place at the heart of the European Union: it provides greater investment stability and certainty. But, as a global business with feet planted firmly on both sides of the Channel, we also believe that the UK’s national interests are best served by a close relationship with Europe."

Ben van Beurden, Shell Chief Executive (March 2014)

To read more click here.

"We benefit from, and support the UK being in the EU"

Ivan Menezes, Chief Executive of Diageo, the world's biggest spirits maker

To read more click here.

The UK “acts as a gateway to Europe for many financial institutions and corporates from around the world. Their establishment and subsequent growth in the UK is no coincidence but is linked to the country’s membership of the world’s largest single market, the European Union.”

Daniel Pinto, Co-Chief Executive of JPMorgan’s corporate & investment bank in Europe, the Middle East and Africa

To read more click here.

The UK would be better off staying inside the European Union "than kicking against the table" and voting to leave. "We are a positive contributor in that sense to the UK economy and we [would] have to look at that then for the UK v Europe, just like we do in any other country that is not in the EU."

Paul Polman, the Dutch chief executive of the consumer multinational Unilever

To read more click here.

“Jobs and the growth of Britain’s economy depend on maintaining and increasing exports to the EU, particularly as the European economy begins to recover. This will be a much more difficult task if businesses have to contend with a Britain that has decided to exit the EU. Existing trade arrangements will be at risk and Britain will have no influence in making the rules in the future.”

Citi Bank Chief Executive for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. (January 2014)

To read more click here.

“We all need to know where Britain’s future lies in a changing global economy. We have looked beyond the political rhetoric to examine the pros and cons of EU membership and British business is unequivocal; the Single Market is fundamental to our future."

“We are better off in a reformed EU than outside with no influence. Each year, membership is worth £3000 to every household in this country."

John Cridland, CBI Director-General (November 2013)
The CBI has produced a report entitled Our Global Future: the Business Vision for a Reformed EU’.

"If something went dramatically wrong with the trading relationships between the UK and the EU, it would affect us and a lot of businesses. If a parting regressed into protectionism towards the rest of Europe, then that would be a bad thing and a backward step.”

Phil Couchman, CEO, DHL Express UK and Ireland (October 2013)
To read more click here.

The UK is part of the European Union — that’s very important. From the foreign investor’s point of view, I hope that the UK will remain an EU member. A lot of regulations are under the EU. If the UK, after departing from the EU, made unique regulations, unique standards, that would become an obstacle."

Toshiyuki Shiga, COO, Nissan, (October 2013)
To read more click here.

Europe is the bedrock of our international trade. It should be viewed as the launch-pad from which our global trade can expand – not the landmass from which we retreat. And if we are to avoid an exit vote in any referendum – it is essential that the voice of British business is loud and clear – in extolling the virtues of future engagement – not as a reluctant participant – but as the lynchpin of our wider global trade ambitions.”

Sir Roger Carr, President, CBI (November 2012)
To read more click here.

The UK must not become a peripheral country on the edge of Europe. This will be damaging to long-term prospects of British business and also in the country's ability to attract new international companies to set up and employ people in the country. “

Sir Richard Branson Founder, Virgin Group (January 2013)
To read more click here

It is really poppycock to believe that the City can survive in its present form if it is not an integral part of the European financial services framework. London must have complete and unfettered access to the wholesale Euro markets … We know that London benefits from attracting firms that want easy access to the Single Market. Those firms arrive here and create jobs across the UK as their operations develop.”

Gerry Grimstone Chairman, CityUK (October 2012)
To read more click here.

"The survey of more than 400 businesses employing more than 1.5 million direct employees shows 78% of firms favour staying in the EU, including 77% of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Just 10% think it is in their interests for the UK to leave the EU (11% of SMEs). "

CBI/ YouGov Survey (September 2013)
To read more click here.

Firms want what is best for jobs and growth, and there is genuine concern that an exit would hit business investment and access to the world’s largest trading bloc … Businesses do have some serious concerns about the EU, but ultimately they want the UK inside the tent winning the argument for reform.”

John Cridland Director-General, CBI (September 2013)
To read more click here.

Britain must not gamble on its future in Europe. The stakes are enormous. It is naïve to think we can simply pull up the drawbridge and carry on as normal. The debate must move on to how we can make Europe work to support jobs, growth and higher living standards. We need to focus on the real prize – how we can get Europe to work better supporting companies that are looking to sell into the EU, to export to new markets in the rest of the world and develop new products and services. We must be at the centre of the change we want to see in Europe, to help secure the prize and ensure we share in it. Billions of pounds of trading opportunities are at stake and we must keep the focus – and the wider debate – on these opportunities which will unleash growth in our economy now and in the longer term. The clear message from manufacturers, who employ millions in the UK, is that we must lead on this and play an active part in shaping the EU from within.”

Terry Scuoler Chief Executive, EEF (October, 2013)
To read more click here.

An EEF report found that:

85 per cent of EEF members support Britain’s on-going membership of the EU

UK benefited from £2.7 billion of R&D spending carried out by EU parented companies in 2011

37 per cent of companies would have to make significant changes to their business plans if the UK left the EU – and one third would be less likely to invest here

The UK attracts the most foreign investment out of all countries in Europe

Almost 90 per cent of EEF manufacturers sell directly or indirectly to customers in the EU

Three in five members say the EU is key to their export strategy

Report: Manufacturing: Our Future In Europe (2013)
To read more click here.

"If we were to leave the EU it is a fallacy of the eurosceptics to say we would just have automatic and easy access to the single market. We will have to pay for access to the single market and we will still have to apply the regulations that Europe produces - into which we would have no input whatsoever."

Sir John Major, Former Prime Minister, Great Britain and Northern Ireland (October, 2013)
To read more click here.

"A non-EU Britain looks bleak, dead and buried – an economy left out in the cold. UK firms may need to pay EU export tariffs and would still have to meet EU production standards. […] It would be an open invitation for major businesses to up sticks for another EU country, putting thousands of people out of work in the UK in the process.”

More than 70 per cent of imports enter the single market at zero or reduced tariffs. The EU-US trade deal is expected to generate €80bn (£67.7bn) worth of benefits for the EU and create 2m jobs. The EU-South Korea Free Trade Agreement saves EU exporters £1.35bn annually in tariffs. UK companies alone benefit by £500m a year, while 50 per cent of foreign direct investment to the UK comes from other EU member states. Over 40 per cent of UK exports go to the EU and they are tariff-free. More than 300,000 UK companies operate in the EU.”

Helen Brand, Chief Executive, ACCA (October 2013)
To read more, click here.

Let me be absolutely clear: leaving the EU would be economic suicide. You cannot overstate the damage it would do to British livelihoods and prosperity. Three million British jobs are linked to the Single Market – three million. As a member we are part of the world’s biggest borderless market place, made up of 500 million people. It’s now the largest economy in the world – ahead of the United States – and it’s where we do around half of all our trade.”

Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister, Great Britain and Northern Ireland October (2013)
To read more click here.

The TUC is concerned that uncertainty around the UK's relationship with Europe could further jeopardise investment and jobs at a time when Britain has not recovered from the global financial crisis, with high unemployment, especially among young people. This is particularly the case where major unionised companies have invested in plants in the UK because EU membership gives access to the single market.”

TUC, General Council Statement on Europe (September 2013)
To read more click here.

"Every European firm would be gone in very short order"

Michael Sherwood, Vice President, Goldman Sachs (September 2013)
To read more click here.

To read more click here.

The UK attracts strong Australian investment partly due to our long-term links but also because of the UK’s position in the EU market. Australia’s strong links with the UK allow Australian businesses to use the UK as a platform for trade and investment in the broader EU market.”

Bob Carr, Foreign Minister, Australia (July 2013)
To read more click here.

A study by TheCityUK, the lobbying body for the finance industry, of the attitudes of 101 UK-based chief executives, board members, directors and partners from the financial and professional services sector and found that:

84% want the UK to remain a member of the EU

94% recognised the value of staying in the Single Market

90% of business say that the decision about EU membership is important for the future of their business

88% agree EU membership economically benefits the UK as a whole

37% said they would relocate staff to somewhere within the single market if Britain ended up outside it.

41% said David Cameron’s proposal to hold a referendum on EU membership by 2017 was causing uncertainty.

95% say that access to the Single European Market is important to the UK’s competitiveness

More than eight out of ten respondents believe that staying in the EU is the best option for the competitiveness of the UK as a financial centre.

Almost 90% think an exit from the Single Market and the EU would damage the UK’s competitiveness.

“The City Speaks - A milestone study of the views of financial and related professional services leaders on the EU” (October 2013)
To read more click here.

The growth in financial and related professional services in this country over the last two decades is closely linked to the UK’s membership of the EU. The attractiveness of the UK as the “Gateway to Europe” means the UK enjoys very significant net inflows of foreign direct investment. Our research has shown that the benefits of EU membership are numerous for our respondents, not least in the gains we make from trade, increased competition, and by providing access to the world’s largest market.”

James Nixon Chief Economist, TheCityUK (October 2013)
To read more click here.

We have a growing relationship with the European Union as an institution which has a growing voice in the world – and we want to see a strong British voice in that European Union. That is in the American interest.”

Philip Gordon, Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs (January 2013)
To read more click here.

Just to point out England has always had a huge trade deficit.

England made money from war, conquest and the exploitation of subjugated peoples.

Killing and conquering is what we do best.

I was considering British jobs and all exports including services and intangibles

What is your beef about foreign owned business? A Land Rover is still a Land Rover even though the company is owned by the Indian company Tata.

In general, I believe the British economy benefits from membership of the EU

I'm sorry you feel I "don't have much of a clue"....

I think I have backed up my points reasonably well.

I'm always comforted when people resort to insults as it shows I am clearly winning the argument.

Finally, it's not the EU's fault that Thatcher and Co wasted all our oil revenues and shut down most manufacturing industry without re-investing in skills and new technologies! Don't get me going on that!

You must admit that Germany has done pretty well over the years? Maybe they're just better than us?

As Germany is a Net Exporter rather than a Net Importer, they will always do better than the UK.

Not hard to work that one out.

"That’s the chief reason we’re in favour of the UK maintaining its long-established place at the heart of the European Union: it provides greater investment stability and certainty. But, as a global business with feet planted firmly on both sides of the Channel, we also believe that the UK’s national interests are best served by a close relationship with Europe."

Ben van Beurden, Shell Chief Executive (March 2014)

To read more click here.

"We benefit from, and support the UK being in the EU"

Ivan Menezes, Chief Executive of Diageo, the world's biggest spirits maker

To read more click here.

The UK “acts as a gateway to Europe for many financial institutions and corporates from around the world. Their establishment and subsequent growth in the UK is no coincidence but is linked to the country’s membership of the world’s largest single market, the European Union.”

Daniel Pinto, Co-Chief Executive of JPMorgan’s corporate & investment bank in Europe, the Middle East and Africa

To read more click here.

The UK would be better off staying inside the European Union "than kicking against the table" and voting to leave. "We are a positive contributor in that sense to the UK economy and we [would] have to look at that then for the UK v Europe, just like we do in any other country that is not in the EU."

Paul Polman, the Dutch chief executive of the consumer multinational Unilever

To read more click here.

“Jobs and the growth of Britain’s economy depend on maintaining and increasing exports to the EU, particularly as the European economy begins to recover. This will be a much more difficult task if businesses have to contend with a Britain that has decided to exit the EU. Existing trade arrangements will be at risk and Britain will have no influence in making the rules in the future.”

Citi Bank Chief Executive for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. (January 2014)

To read more click here.

“We all need to know where Britain’s future lies in a changing global economy. We have looked beyond the political rhetoric to examine the pros and cons of EU membership and British business is unequivocal; the Single Market is fundamental to our future."

“We are better off in a reformed EU than outside with no influence. Each year, membership is worth £3000 to every household in this country."

John Cridland, CBI Director-General (November 2013)

The CBI has produced a report entitled Our Global Future: the Business Vision for a Reformed EU’.

"If something went dramatically wrong with the trading relationships between the UK and the EU, it would affect us and a lot of businesses. If a parting regressed into protectionism towards the rest of Europe, then that would be a bad thing and a backward step.”

Phil Couchman, CEO, DHL Express UK and Ireland (October 2013)

To read more click here.

The UK is part of the European Union — that’s very important. From the foreign investor’s point of view, I hope that the UK will remain an EU member. A lot of regulations are under the EU. If the UK, after departing from the EU, made unique regulations, unique standards, that would become an obstacle."

Toshiyuki Shiga, COO, Nissan, (October 2013)

To read more click here.

Europe is the bedrock of our international trade. It should be viewed as the launch-pad from which our global trade can expand – not the landmass from which we retreat. And if we are to avoid an exit vote in any referendum – it is essential that the voice of British business is loud and clear – in extolling the virtues of future engagement – not as a reluctant participant – but as the lynchpin of our wider global trade ambitions.”

Sir Roger Carr, President, CBI (November 2012)

To read more click here.

The UK must not become a peripheral country on the edge of Europe. This will be damaging to long-term prospects of British business and also in the country's ability to attract new international companies to set up and employ people in the country. “

Sir Richard Branson Founder, Virgin Group (January 2013)

To read more click here

It is really poppycock to believe that the City can survive in its present form if it is not an integral part of the European financial services framework. London must have complete and unfettered access to the wholesale Euro markets … We know that London benefits from attracting firms that want easy access to the Single Market. Those firms arrive here and create jobs across the UK as their operations develop.”

Gerry Grimstone Chairman, CityUK (October 2012)

To read more click here.

"The survey of more than 400 businesses employing more than 1.5 million direct employees shows 78% of firms favour staying in the EU, including 77% of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Just 10% think it is in their interests for the UK to leave the EU (11% of SMEs). "

CBI/ YouGov Survey (September 2013)

To read more click here.

Firms want what is best for jobs and growth, and there is genuine concern that an exit would hit business investment and access to the world’s largest trading bloc … Businesses do have some serious concerns about the EU, but ultimately they want the UK inside the tent winning the argument for reform.”

John Cridland Director-General, CBI (September 2013)

To read more click here.

Britain must not gamble on its future in Europe. The stakes are enormous. It is naïve to think we can simply pull up the drawbridge and carry on as normal. The debate must move on to how we can make Europe work to support jobs, growth and higher living standards. We need to focus on the real prize – how we can get Europe to work better supporting companies that are looking to sell into the EU, to export to new markets in the rest of the world and develop new products and services. We must be at the centre of the change we want to see in Europe, to help secure the prize and ensure we share in it. Billions of pounds of trading opportunities are at stake and we must keep the focus – and the wider debate – on these opportunities which will unleash growth in our economy now and in the longer term. The clear message from manufacturers, who employ millions in the UK, is that we must lead on this and play an active part in shaping the EU from within.”

Terry Scuoler Chief Executive, EEF (October, 2013)

To read more click here.

An EEF report found that:

85 per cent of EEF members support Britain’s on-going membership of the EU

UK benefited from £2.7 billion of R&D spending carried out by EU parented companies in 2011

37 per cent of companies would have to make significant changes to their business plans if the UK left the EU – and one third would be less likely to invest here

The UK attracts the most foreign investment out of all countries in Europe

Almost 90 per cent of EEF manufacturers sell directly or indirectly to customers in the EU

Three in five members say the EU is key to their export strategy

Report: Manufacturing: Our Future In Europe (2013)

To read more click here.

"If we were to leave the EU it is a fallacy of the eurosceptics to say we would just have automatic and easy access to the single market. We will have to pay for access to the single market and we will still have to apply the regulations that Europe produces - into which we would have no input whatsoever."

Sir John Major, Former Prime Minister, Great Britain and Northern Ireland (October, 2013)

To read more click here.

"A non-EU Britain looks bleak, dead and buried – an economy left out in the cold. UK firms may need to pay EU export tariffs and would still have to meet EU production standards. […] It would be an open invitation for major businesses to up sticks for another EU country, putting thousands of people out of work in the UK in the process.”

More than 70 per cent of imports enter the single market at zero or reduced tariffs. The EU-US trade deal is expected to generate €80bn (£67.7bn) worth of benefits for the EU and create 2m jobs. The EU-South Korea Free Trade Agreement saves EU exporters £1.35bn annually in tariffs. UK companies alone benefit by £500m a year, while 50 per cent of foreign direct investment to the UK comes from other EU member states. Over 40 per cent of UK exports go to the EU and they are tariff-free. More than 300,000 UK companies operate in the EU.”

Helen Brand, Chief Executive, ACCA (October 2013)

To read more, click here.

Let me be absolutely clear: leaving the EU would be economic suicide. You cannot overstate the damage it would do to British livelihoods and prosperity. Three million British jobs are linked to the Single Market – three million. As a member we are part of the world’s biggest borderless market place, made up of 500 million people. It’s now the largest economy in the world – ahead of the United States – and it’s where we do around half of all our trade.”

Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister, Great Britain and Northern Ireland October (2013)

To read more click here.

The TUC is concerned that uncertainty around the UK's relationship with Europe could further jeopardise investment and jobs at a time when Britain has not recovered from the global financial crisis, with high unemployment, especially among young people. This is particularly the case where major unionised companies have invested in plants in the UK because EU membership gives access to the single market.”

TUC, General Council Statement on Europe (September 2013)

To read more click here.

"Every European firm would be gone in very short order"

Michael Sherwood, Vice President, Goldman Sachs (September 2013)

To read more click here.

To read more click here.

The UK attracts strong Australian investment partly due to our long-term links but also because of the UK’s position in the EU market. Australia’s strong links with the UK allow Australian businesses to use the UK as a platform for trade and investment in the broader EU market.”

Bob Carr, Foreign Minister, Australia (July 2013)

To read more click here.

A study by TheCityUK, the lobbying body for the finance industry, of the attitudes of 101 UK-based chief executives, board members, directors and partners from the financial and professional services sector and found that:

84% want the UK to remain a member of the EU

94% recognised the value of staying in the Single Market

90% of business say that the decision about EU membership is important for the future of their business

88% agree EU membership economically benefits the UK as a whole

37% said they would relocate staff to somewhere within the single market if Britain ended up outside it.

41% said David Cameron’s proposal to hold a referendum on EU membership by 2017 was causing uncertainty.

95% say that access to the Single European Market is important to the UK’s competitiveness

More than eight out of ten respondents believe that staying in the EU is the best option for the competitiveness of the UK as a financial centre.

Almost 90% think an exit from the Single Market and the EU would damage the UK’s competitiveness.

“The City Speaks - A milestone study of the views of financial and related professional services leaders on the EU” (October 2013)

To read more click here.

The growth in financial and related professional services in this country over the last two decades is closely linked to the UK’s membership of the EU. The attractiveness of the UK as the “Gateway to Europe” means the UK enjoys very significant net inflows of foreign direct investment. Our research has shown that the benefits of EU membership are numerous for our respondents, not least in the gains we make from trade, increased competition, and by providing access to the world’s largest market.”

James Nixon Chief Economist, TheCityUK (October 2013)

To read more click here.

We have a growing relationship with the European Union as an institution which has a growing voice in the world – and we want to see a strong British voice in that European Union. That is in the American interest.”

Philip Gordon, Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs (January 2013)

To read more click here.

Seems like every one of them has a vested financial interest for staying in the EU.

So it is hardly rocket science that they would wish to remain part of the EU.

As long as the few benefit financially from EU membership, the rest of the UK does not matter.

A bit like Nero fiddling while Rome burned around him.

• Like 1