Visa run Mae Sai

I know the quick one-day bounce across the border can't be done there, but is there an issue returning to LOS after staying overnight in Tachileik (I have a US passport)? I'll make alternative arrangements if necessary, but it's my easiest option.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.:)

My purpose is to get another 30-day tourist visa- I did a one-day bounce there a three months ago (with no prior ones in my passport) and they pulled me aside and specifically said that they weren't allowing visa runs (they said 'visa run') in one day and I would need to use another checkpoint the next time. They did stamp my passport, but it sounded like it would be a problem doing it again. Since then, I got a two-month family visitation extension, and now I need to do one more 30-day stamp as I'll be able to apply for my marriage visa in April. I thought if I stayed the night it would make a difference (though I'd much rather get it done in one day).

You may not have a problem since you have been on a 60 day extenison.

There is no marriage visa. You can get a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate or an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration.

If you are planning on applying for an extension at immigration you should go out now to get a single entry non-o visa. You will need that to apply for the extension.

Thanks for that info- now I have to figure out how to do it- it sounds like Tachileik isn't the place for what I need.

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Vientiane that would give you a 90 day entry. You would just need your marriage certificate plus a copy ,signed copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet with no financial proof needed.

My purpose is to get another 30-day tourist visa- I did a one-day bounce there a three months ago (with no prior ones in my passport) and they pulled me aside and specifically said that they weren't allowing visa runs (they said 'visa run') in one day and I would need to use another checkpoint the next time. They did stamp my passport, but it sounded like it would be a problem doing it again. Since then, I got a two-month family visitation extension, and now I need to do one more 30-day stamp as I'll be able to apply for my marriage visa in April. I thought if I stayed the night it would make a difference (though I'd much rather get it done in one day).

The problem I see is that you're asking not for a visa, but a 30 day visa exempt entry (I'm presuming you're a citizen of a G7 country, otherwise it will be 15 days)

You also mention previously that you possibly have an in-out warning stamp that prevents you using the MaeSai entry point again, and you've been told not to do it again.

While as a one off, or for say a second entry on an existing visa you're fine, but it seems you've border runned before for the visa exempt entry. If they spot your in-out stamp they won't let you back in, although they may be more lenient if you spend the night in Tachiliek.

Edited by lordblackader

Yes, I want another 30-day exempt stamp. There's no warning stamp in my passport, but of course it has the exit and entry stamps showing the same date from December when I did my run. I was wondering if all the border checkpoints are cracking down on this, or if Tachileik is special. I'm looking into the non-O visa, but I need to leave in a couple of days and I doubt I can access my marriage certificate before them as it's pretty far away from where I am now- I more likely do the application process in a month- I'm just looking for the easiest, cheapest route.;)

You can try at Mai Sai. They will not let you leave if they will not give you an another entry.

If not you could go to Chiang Kong to do the crossing.

The next choice is to apply for a 7 day extension and get 7 days to leave.

^

When I crossed in December, they gave me grief on the way back from Tachileik to Mae Sai- leaving LOS was no issue and I wasn't told a return would be a problem- they just processed me as usual and let me cross the bridge.