Crackdown on Bangkok street stalls as pedestrians vie for space

Lite Beer

The foot traffic it not too bad or maybe I've gotten used to it. I'm more upset while they are setting up they park all the cars on the side of the street while setting up taking up the whole lane of traffic. The buses and taxis then have to use the middle lane to stop causing even more jam issues.

It's not the foot traffic that's the problem - it's the stalls taking up the space on the pavement. And while I agree with your point about the cars, where else can they park? I would suggest a time to be set for loading/unloading, and police given the job of supervising it now that they don't have to harass tourists anymore!

I have enjoyed being a guest in LOS for 11 years, but hate the vendors along Sukumvit Soi 3 thru Soi 21 especially on the odd number side.

The other is the beggars, three or four to the block.

I see they are continuing the walkway under the BTS out from Siam to Wireless Road and I here on to Soi 21, great Idea, just keep the vendors off the walkway.

The foot traffic it not too bad or maybe I've gotten used to it. I'm more upset while they are setting up they park all the cars on the side of the street while setting up taking up the whole lane of traffic. The buses and taxis then have to use the middle lane to stop causing even more jam issues.

It's not the foot traffic that's the problem - it's the stalls taking up the space on the pavement. And while I agree with your point about the cars, where else can they park? I would suggest a time to be set for loading/unloading, and police given the job of supervising it now that they don't have to harass tourists anymore!

I agree with the cars need to go, except for short stops, the Taxis on Soi 3 are a real pain in the butt at rush hour.

I read the other day where Police more power to haul off illegally parked vehicles, what is the hold up, most cities in USA have a wrecker standing by to hook and haul illegally parked vehicles

• Like 1

The people claiming street stalls selling crappy T-shirts, sex toys, copy CD's, copy watches, knives, underpants and sunglasses somehow makes Thailand a vibrant place are comical.

Footpaths are called footpaths for a reason.

If you want cheap crap, go to Chatuchak on the weekend, otherwise, let me walk down the street without having to dodge idiots stopping to buy 50baht crap.

Chatuchak market is always full of tourists, and is not always cheap, I have tested some of them with their prices, and have sometimes found that they are dearer than the shops for the same items. Like I said, always full of tourists, think about it.

I don't really care.

Chatuchuk is a market. A market that sells basically all the same crap you can but on Sukhumvit.

Good, the tourists know where it is.

You see, it wasn't that hard when you thought about it, was it?

• Like 2

I am not lording it over anyone. I am certainly not patronising the Thai or trying to make them conform to your souled, anodyne western view. If you think street markets are a sign of backwardness you need to consider that not all people can afford to shop in malls and also that they enjoy street markets. It is not your job to preach at the Thai people. You can leave Thailand anytime you want and it would be a better place without you. Bangkok street markets rule!They are cool.

• Like 1

To all you statesiders ..we call them footpaths and pavements ..and we go on holidays not vacations ..

I wonder if your 86 former posts were all as pompous as this one. Can't be bothered to check though. This is a Forum, not a classroom, dude. Lots of members are not native English speakers from England, how shocking is that ?

Quite agree with you, mate! Footwalk, footpath, sidewalk - who gives a damn? We all know what you're talking about, and as a previous post has already explained the difference, let's get back on topic shall we?

Never mind bloody Bangkok,Why not clean the footpaths and streets in every city,Here in Hat Yai we have the so called market areas they have the footpath and stalls on both sides of the street if you lucky and have time to waste you can drive a small car on the road and hope that no one comes from the other way ,you should see them dodging and weaving not to hit one or the other absolute a disgrace for common sense. bah.gif

I suppose the vendors add to the history and buzz of the city .... but to those who live there and need to get around, the vendors are a plan in the arse. I particularly go nuts when you get a family of 'people from certain countries' who just stop dead in their tracks, completely oblivious to those walking behind them, and hold up the foot traffic. I also get agitated when the vendors who are setting up, need to walk from one side of the pavement to the other, don't look first and bang into anyone just walking along, who by rights, have right of way. They act if they own the place .... they don't. My solution would be to reduce the numbers to stop the congestion and perhaps introduce a license system to control it (which of course would be manged perfectly by the authorities without incentive payments flying around ?)

• Like 1

What appeals on first visits or holidays as atmosphere and different becomes hated as inconvenient as we live here, "why it isn't more like back home? "

Does becoming expatriate turn us into whining old b*stards? We are all guilty to some extent.

• Like 2

Cheap street food is part of SEA. Try selling hot dogs outside a McDonalds in the USA. You'll get arrested.

The only sellers I have a problem with in Bangkok are the ones who "expand" their operations out into foot traffic, forcing everyone to walk by single-file. And if you have a backpack on, you can't even turn sideways without knocking merchandise the tables.

No problem with the others. Carry on..

• Like 1

In a moment of irony it seems to be lost on many the the very reason the streets are crowded, is because people come to enjoy the street stalls. Peopel vote with thier money, and for decades have voted for street stalls and awesome food.

Vibrant, alive, fun and liberating for the Thai people who can have their own business, and not become corporate slaves.

Noting is better for a strong stable family life than a viable family owned and operated business.

You know, it was this way for a long time, BKK is famous for it .. many many people LOVE it.

To the whiners ... there is a whole world of "dead" and lifeless streets that only connect you to the next mini mall that is a repleca of the mini mall you just left.

Go there.

False dichotomy.

It's not a choice of either having bland Singapore style cleared streets on one hand and having chaotic unregulated street markets on the other.

There is a middle ground where the pavements can be used by pedestrians, shoppers and vendors alike.

Have markets by all means, but only where it is logical and conditions permit.

Edited by teatree
  • Like 2

I suggest they go to Surawong Road between Soi Tarntawan ( Soi 6 ) and Patpong....So many Motorbikes on the pavements everyday....

then the aggressive Sex Touts blocking the corner of Patpong and Surawong Rd.

I don't consider the Vendors a problem at all it's the Motorbikes!!

Edited by metisdead

In a moment of irony it seems to be lost on many the the very reason the streets are crowded, is because people come to enjoy the street stalls. Peopel vote with thier money, and for decades have voted for street stalls and awesome food.

Vibrant, alive, fun and liberating for the Thai people who can have their own business, and not become corporate slaves.

Noting is better for a strong stable family life than a viable family owned and operated business.

You know, it was this way for a long time, BKK is famous for it .. many many people LOVE it.

To the whiners ... there is a whole world of "dead" and lifeless streets that only connect you to the next mini mall that is a repleca of the mini mall you just left.

Go there.

False dichotomy.

It's not a choice of either having bland Singapore style cleared streets on one hand and having chaotic unregulated street markets on the other.

There is a middle ground where the pavements can be used by pedestrians, shoppers and vendors alike.

Have markets by all means, but only where it is logical and conditions permit.[/

It's more than just regulating street vendors in Singapore. The main reasons are mainly health and food safety. It's just too big a risk with all the unhygienic preparation of food, disposals and cleanliness that creat breeding grounds for rats and cockroaches that can result in an epidemic. Now all streets vendors are moved to designated and well design food centers.

Go there.

False dichotomy.

Have markets by all means, but only where it is logical and conditions permit.[/

It's more than just regulating street vendors in Singapore. The main reasons are mainly health and food safety. It's just too big a risk with all the unhygienic preparation of food, disposals and cleanliness that creat breeding grounds for rats and cockroaches that can result in an epidemic. Now all streets vendors are moved to designated and well design food centers.

Spot on eric. I like the hawker centers in Singapore. They were a typically practical Singaporean solution to the problem we are discussing in this thread.

OB

• Like 1

Just my random two cents. Why not paint a line down the center of the sidewalk. Vendors on one side, foot traffic on the other. Then fine drivers and impound motor bikes that ride the sidewalk.

Yeah, I know - easier said than done.unsure.png

I usually stay in accommodation anywhere from Sukhumvit, soi 13 down over and I'm not a fan of the stalls/vendors along this stretch of road. Often it is easier to walk along the road than through the slow or stationary throng of people. From my observation the stalls around this area seem popular with those from the Middle East and with their fondness for haggling can cause quite the bottle neck. The pavement in this area is too narrow for the stalls being placed along both sides of this pavement. And let's not discuss the "knee-capper" as I call it, the water hydrant(?) on the corner of soi 7 smack bang in the pavement - trap for the unwary!

If memory serves me right, the opposite pavement on the (even numbered side) is far wider and more suited to stalls?

Incidentally, does anyone know if this cover the issue of night time beer stalls and the likes of the food stalls outside of Stumble Inn on soi 4?

Id be happy if there werent metre deep holes ,or paving stones sticking up 10 inches, or electric poles slap bang in the middle or road signs at head height to inflict maximum damage alond with shop awnings at the same height to take an eye out or electric cables finished off with tape etc etc.....apart from that the street vendors arent my worry.they can stay.

If you want things up to Western standards you may have to start paying Western wages. Do they have sewage plants in Thailand?

if they werent so bone idle theyd fix this stuff in fact no theyd do it right first time not continually bodge it, I dont think asking for metre deep holes to be filled in requires a 40% tax rate most of the bodges could be easily remedied I mean how much does it cost to NOT put an awning at eye level? no more than to put it at eye level.

• Like 2

Those streetvendors make the sidewalk as narrow as possible, i hate that and that's why i hope they have to go now.

Some of them have much space behind their stand, they don't care at all for pedestrians. They are just very selfish. Also i hate the low umbrella's with pins sticking out at the height of my eyes.

It's the same on any market, there is a line where they have to stay behind but there are always a few who put stuff in the walkway or go sit there themselves to slow traffic down.

Add to that that they want to overcharge me for having a white skin so BYE BYE with them. If i have to pay the same price as in an airconditioned, clean and secure mall then sure i 'll go there.

• Like 1

Remember this happening in HK many years ago after a cholera epidemic caused by street food vendors. They would load everything up including the vendors into trucks with huge cages on the back and drive them away. Sadly some of the government staff got badly hurt by irate vendors with meat cleavers. Anyway they never came after a few months of scuffles. Street food in HK was truly disgusting with large chunks of tripe hanging up in the street and a filthy smell.

• Like 1

whats next, build sidewalks??

i saw a huge rat ontop of a vendors oranges pile while shopping at klong toey market. it was broad daylight and busy. lucky i did not get bitten.

of course its taboo and with the defamation thing and all better to say nothing, nevermind!

Edited by fey
  • Like 1

Just my random two cents. Why not paint a line down the center of the sidewalk. Vendors on one side, foot traffic on the other. Then fine drivers and impound motor bikes that ride the sidewalk.

Yeah, I know - easier said than done.unsure.png

Maybe you mean first change the law so that motorbikes are no longer allowed to ride on the side walk under certain conditions?

Although i admit to also riding on the footpath if the road is blocked but only because its allowed.

the pavement by the side of NANA bts is now solid with stalls boths sides of the pavement, making it single file only, and there is a fire hydrant bang in the middle of the pathway, i wonder how many souls have bashed their legs on this piece of protruding metal. and i have said before the stall taking up all the pavement outside of morning night bar, it has just become a joke now.

I am glad to see Bangkok getting cleaned up. I didn't mind seeing the vendors along the street or in some of the vacant

lots that exist in many places in the city if there is room for them and the pedestrians. There are ways of having market places, and otherwise a better controlled sidewalk situation in Bangkok, that would be a lot nicer for the residents and guests alike.

I would not miss all the clutter that exists today, Don't forget that there are more and more handicapped

people who live in Thailand and visit Thailand and they certainly would like to have more room to get around in the city as well. This is a reminder for those of you who are either young and fit, or at least still in good health and

can walk around.

Stargeezer

• Like 1

I'd quite like to be able to walk down the street without it being an obstacle course, and I don't really give a shit if that fits into some idea of how you think the city should look.

Dallas Texas might be a good for for you.

Great weather, hot blondes. and no one uses side walks ... so they are all yours !

Great weather, hot blondes. and no one uses side walks ... so they are all yours !

Truer words were never spoken; I sometimes think some of the sidewalks have never been used. If you're on the sidewalk, and not dressed in jogging gear, someone might think you are poor. There is no reason to be poor in Dallas unless you are a mental case.