Shrink wrapping of suitcase

koiwaolao

Some of you may know of this service being offered at the airport. Unfortunately its become very popular and the last time I had to wait quite a while and almost missed my flight.

Does anybody know of this service being available in Pattaya? I would like to pack my case on dept day and have it wrapped before going to the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought these shrink wrapping companies were licensed by the authorities at the airport. I believe they do a security scan and then tag your luggage before wrapping. To take a shortcut in the process means risking your do it yourself home job will invite further scrutiny. I use plastic wire wraps on my luggage and invariably tsa will have opened it and checked for something. I think they are making a statement, "don't screw around with us buddy".

I don't understand the point of shrink-wrapping your suitcase. But if you have to do so, buy some ratchet type straps, if you're worried about the contents spilling out.

Shrink wrap my suitcase means NOBODY can put anything into my luggage without my knowledge, thus I can not become an unsuspecting mule for drug transport. When ever I arrive at my destination and the wrapping is NOT in place anymore and there is NO security label from an airport authority informing about their investigation, I go directly to the red channel and tell the officers that my bag was wrapped and that I suspect that either something was stolen or somebody put something into my bag. Happend twice within the last 10-15 years and I travel quite frequently.

So wrapping is for my personal security mainly, but also protects the bag when it gets thrown around at the airport (which it does) or protects the inside from too much rain when left outside (which it also does on some airports..)

go out and buy 8 rolls of glad wrap from Big C or tesco ...

Put the suitcase on your record player and turnit on to 45 rpm if setting is available ... then wrap as suitcase is turning ...

cut off and press end onto suitcase .. wai2.gif

Don't know why, but I have visions of you accidentally putting the turntable on 78 RPM and having the suitcase and its contents shooting off into the room taking you with it! cheesy.gif

I don't understand the point of shrink-wrapping your suitcase. But if you have to do so, buy some ratchet type straps, if you're worried about the contents spilling out.

Shrink wrap my suitcase means NOBODY can put anything into my luggage without my knowledge, thus I can not become an unsuspecting mule for drug transport. When ever I arrive at my destination and the wrapping is NOT in place anymore and there is NO security label from an airport authority informing about their investigation, I go directly to the red channel and tell the officers that my bag was wrapped and that I suspect that either something was stolen or somebody put something into my bag. Happend twice within the last 10-15 years and I travel quite frequently.

So wrapping is for my personal security mainly, but also protects the bag when it gets thrown around at the airport (which it does) or protects the inside from too much rain when left outside (which it also does on some airports..)

I don't shrink wrap, but I do use twist ties instead of locks (for TSA etc.) however I use the twist tie in a certain way so I can tell the case was opened, and yes it does happen, but I had never thought of going through the red when I know it's been opened and there's no security tag... An extremely wise comment and one I shall follow from now on! Especially for the UAE and Indonesia etc.

I don't shrink wrap, but I do use twist ties instead of locks (for TSA etc.) however I use the twist tie in a certain way so I can tell the case was opened, and yes it does happen, but I had never thought of going through the red when I know it's been opened and there's no security tag... An extremely wise comment and one I shall follow from now on! Especially for the UAE and Indonesia etc.

Most people don't know that almost all luggage locks are TSA "certfied".. meaning there are general keys opening all locks, easy to copy and (too) many employees at airports have these keys.. and my TS002 key opens all bags with a similar lock.. and the TSA number is printed on the lock.. so the locks only "security" is to prevent your luggage from opening accidently... My main reason for wrapping.

Shrink wrap my suitcase means NOBODY can put anything into my luggage without my knowledge, thus I can not become an unsuspecting mule for drug transport.

What is stopping me from removing your shrink wrap, inserting something into your case, and then running it through another wrapping machine? Or indeed just wrapping it by hand with a roll of film from Makro?

In the same way, what is stopping me from removing your wrap, stealing something from your case and then wrapping it again?

• Like 1

Shrink wrap my suitcase means NOBODY can put anything into my luggage without my knowledge, thus I can not become an unsuspecting mule for drug transport.

What is stopping me from removing your shrink wrap, inserting something into your case, and then running it through another wrapping machine? Or indeed just wrapping it by hand with a roll of film from Makro?

In the same way, what is stopping me from removing your wrap, stealing something from your case and then wrapping it again?

1. you would need a wrapping machine inside the airport luggage area
  2. the effort is to big, since there are enough bags without wrap

scammers / thiefs go for the easiest alternative.

to the OP: I do not know about a wrapping service in Pattaya. I guess the issue is the customer base that would not be there for the business... if there would be such a service VERY close to my appartment / hotel (i.e. less than 100m away), I might use it. But on department day, I would not want to take my luggage to some remote area (remote meaning I need a taxi or would have to drag my bag for 500m to the next wrapping place) and I would assume most of the other travellers would think the same) when I am already running short of time to catch the plane.

So the only places I would see such business making a profit would be inside the lobby of HUGE hotels with a decent foreign customer base.

1. you would need a wrapping machine inside the airport luggage area
  2. the effort is to big, since there are enough bags without wrap

scammers / thiefs go for the easiest alternative.

I don't disagree with most of that, though you would not need a machine. A roll of film and two hands would do.

What I disagree with was your statement that wrapping means "nobody can put anything in my luggage without my knowledge". It just isn't true.

I always have my suitcase wrapped.

Since it's harder to identify my suitcase at arrival, I carry a permanent marker and write my name in BIG letters on both sides of the suitcase.

I don't think that anyone will go through the trouble of copying that.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

I always have my suitcase wrapped.

Since it's harder to identify my suitcase at arrival, I carry a permanent marker and write my name in BIG letters on both sides of the suitcase.

I don't think that anyone will go through the trouble of copying that.

That's a pretty good solution. At least if someone does unwrap/rewrap it you would be sure to know.

But it might be a temptation for the likes of David Blaine and Derren Brown.