Monk defrocked for drinking and attempting rape

Thaivisa News

Kamphaeng Phet:– The Buddhist monastic authorities have defrocked a monk for disciplinary violations, including drinking and attempting to rape a nun.

Police have taken custody of Samran (last name unknown), 64, following his departure from monkhood.

The nun did not press charges but the police would still have to complete report on the case. Should police decide not to file any charges, the man would be allowed to return to his family in Nakhon Sawan.

The case came to light after the nun, identified as Noi, 75, had alerted the monastic authorities about the disorderly conduct of Phra Samran.

Noi is in charge of supervising the running of Luang Pho Naen Monastery, a private religious residence, founded in 1982.

She said Luang Pho Naen was the founder and abbot of the monastery until he passed away recently.

The monastery has two monks in residence.

The nun said she made a wrong decision to welcome PhraSamran to the monastery. After moving in, the monk was drunk most of the time.

She said she could not tolerate anymore as the drunken monk tried to choke and rape her.

She decided to call and report the incident to Phra Khru Opaswachiranukul, the chief monk of Tambon Thakhunram, MueangKamphaeng Phet district.

The chief monk and Phra Palad ChamnanInthapanyo, enforcer of monastic discipline, inspected the monastery.

The two uncovered several liquor bottles in Samran’s abode. And the monk was inebriated.

Confronted with evidence, Samran admitted he was a drunk. He denied, however, that he had tried to sexually assault the nun.

Catholics will have him

the reputations of the monks have suffered since the 99 depression when hundreds joined the monk hood for three hots and a cot. and with the ordination of that despot rabble rouser suthep being allowed to reside in a temple as a "monk" instead of going to jail, hsn't imporved the image of the monks.

• Like 2

Surely 'mixed' monasteries or convents is not a good idea especially if 'drink' is added to the equation. Another amendment for the new constitution?

I don't think this is a normal incident. My missus goes into a Temple for one month each year for meditation. Always mixed Temples. She reckons the biggest issue is the nuns. The problem being the yapping and bitchiness usually from the older nuns. Quite often she will switch to another temple a week in to her programme. I can count the temples on one hand that she's been to and not had to listen to nuns whining (strangely enough the worst was a temple where the nuns are supposed to be quiet and not talk!)

• Like 2

Surely 'mixed' monasteries or convents is not a good idea especially if 'drink' is added to the equation. Another amendment for the new constitution?

I don't think this is a normal incident. My missus goes into a Temple for one month each year for meditation. Always mixed Temples. She reckons the biggest issue is the nuns. The problem being the yapping and bitchiness usually from the older nuns. Quite often she will switch to another temple a week in to her programme. I can count the temples on one hand that she's been to and not had to listen to nuns whining (strangely enough the worst was a temple where the nuns are supposed to be quiet and not talk!)

are you suggesting the misbehaving monk was simply attempting an "anatomical gag order" maneuver?

I can't see the BIB considering charges as too much dirty linen might need washing. What's one monk against the reputation of the institution ?

As bad as this is much worse never sees the light of day because of highly placed protectors and misplaced reverence.

What on earth are you on about?

Are you suggesting, based on your allegations, justifying choking and attempting to rape a 75 year old woman for "yapping"?

Holy <deleted>!

facepalm.gif

Edited by iReason

What on earth are you on about?

Are you suggesting, based on your allegations, justifying choking and attempting to rape a 75 year old woman for "yapping"?

Holy <deleted>!

facepalm.gif

Not at all how his post reads to me.

• Like 2

Catholics will have him

Most religions will have him, religion is an excuse to do what you want to the un educated people, and then tell them that it is in the name of ALLAH, GOD,, BUDDHA... you know the rest

I know of a temple in Lam Luk Kha, used to be 7, 8 nuns there. The bitching and yakking got so bad that the abbot had them all leave. Lot's of rumors of older monks fooling around with older nuns, even younger nuns, if you call 50's younger. I was there about 7 or 8 months, never say any fooling around.. Lot's of bitching though.. coffee1.gif