What's an exciting bike of today?

AllanB

I have been looking at buying a CB300f, but fear it may be a bit boring, I want something under 500cc that is reliable, but has a bit of passion about it.

I don't ride fast so handling at speed isn't important and I am 6ft and 83kg, so need a biggish frame.

I don't have a huge budget, so any ideas.

A Thai guy up the road has just bought a Bellini 300 which looks okay and I will try to talk to him about it.

"Exciting" "boring" and "passion" are all pretty relative. What makes you passionate about a bike? Is the CB300 boring because it's not powerful enough, because a lot of other people have the exact same bike, because you find the design too plain, or?

You say you want under 500cc, Ninja 300 might be more exciting but personally I don't think it would be a good choice if you normally ride with a passenger (she won't be comfortable on that postage stamp sized pillion seat). Yamaha R3 is coming out soon, that might be worth looking at. Those are really the only two choices under 500cc I can think of that could be "more exciting" than the CBR/CB300 in my opinion.

• Like 1

Buy a CB500.

They are under 500cc I think.

Ride fast, sans helmet and against traffic, very exciting at any cc.

Get some flame decals => pure excitement.

How many posts have you started trying to figure out what bike you want?
Maybe start a post about the best color?
That would be exciting.

If the OP's fears about lack of excitement are down to the lack of power - then he'll need to go for bigger bike. If the concerns are more due to design, appearance, image etc. - then I think the Kawasaki 250's are good looking and also the CRF250M from Honda is a great looking bike.

There's also the Honda MSX 125 - which is great fun - but you'd be too tall for it.

But to be honest the CB300F is a good bike with enough power for most conditions - and the ABS may prevent some unwanted excitement.

Buy a CB500.

That would be exciting.

Right, the 500 series are 471cc so under 500 and I think they cost under 200K?

For touring 2up the 500x will probably be the best or if he doesn't mind the 2nd hand then the Versus.

Red ones are the most exciting, closely followed by silver...

A top box can distinguish you from the crowd whilst providing a comfortable back rest for your passenger.

Rim tape, got to be the easiest option to spice up a bike ! Bellini sounds like pasta ?

Next....

Buy a CB500.

That would be exciting.

"How many posts have a started trying to figure out what bike you want?" You tell me I don't recall any.

What I should have added is that I have zero experience on anything other than a few smallish Hondas and wondered what the other three had to offer? Unlike buying a car it isn't possible to try anything out here and most KK dealers have a very limited range of bigger bikes to even sit on.

The R3 looks nice, but is there anything else that has the upright riding position of the CB and perhaps with more than a token pillion seat? Yes, the CB500 does look good and think the local dealer has one to look at too.

I assume that none of the big 4 produce a cruiser style bike, a bit like the old Phantom, which was an easy bike to ride slowly and apart from the complete lack of torque/power was good 2 up.

Someone made a point on another thread that buying a new bike only to find it boring means you will lose a big chunk of money when you sell and suggested a secondhand CBR250 instead. I know two people who bought a CBR250 and then looked to sell immediately and both bikes ran fine.

Well call those two people if you want a good deal on a fine running bike.

CBR would be lux after VN 2-up on an under-boner.

One for you & one for Mrs.B maybe.

Are you really a sufficiently sufficient rider to go barreling around on a 500cc with the innocent Mrs.B on pillion.

papa would not.

All answers are found on TV.

Edited by papa al

I assume that none of the big 4 produce a cruiser style bike, a bit like the old Phantom, which was an easy bike to ride slowly and apart from the complete lack of torque/power was good 2 up.

http://www.kawasaki.co.th/th/motorcycle_06_vulcan_S_abs.asp

You should read up on this bike, it's the only cruiser with adjustable seat, bars and pegs settings so could be set for virtually any size rider.

Well call those two people if you want a good ideal on a fine running bike.

CBR would be lux after VN 2-up on an under-boner.

One for you & one for Mrs.B maybe.

Are you really a sufficiently sufficient rider to go barreling around on a 500cc with the innocent Mrs.B on pillion.

papa would not.

All answers are found on TV.

There lies the problem finding a bike that fits lanky me and the missus without having a big powerful cumbersome machine. "A sufficient rider", curious comment, since I have been riding around on a not so smooth 43hp Honda for the last year without problems (handling that is). It is just that riding such a bike around town is bloody hard work, so the Wave gets used a lot.

That kind of lead me to a CRF250, or similar, but they not at all pillion friendly. So at present I have this short list of one bike and wondered if there were others, or perhaps others in the pipeline.

I know you ride a CBR 150 and noticed that the seat height is actually higher than the CBR 250 and CB300, which was rather odd.

I saw a Vanvan in a showroom and then saw it was a 125cc, shame, now that as a 250cc would be good bike.

PS. Just noticed you other comment about a bike for each of us...absolutely not, it would take me weeks to get anywhere.

Edited by AllanB

You should read up on this bike, it's the only cruiser with adjustable seat, bars and pegs settings so could be set for virtually any size rider.

Yes that new Vulcan 650 is quite interesting, looks comfy 2up and riding 100-120km/h but has good torque/hp.

Yes that new Vulcan 650 is quite interesting, looks comfy 2up and riding 100-120km/h but has good torque/hp.

Yes I have read the reviews and they're mostly positive. It's the same "old" 650 Kawa engine used in a variety of other bikes, but this one is tuned and mapped differently for more low end torque. It's lacking at the high speeds (as per reviews) but that shouldn't be a big issue in Thailand, it will comfortably cruise at the above speed limits with extra power to spare.

I have a Honda CRF250L ... It is not the fastest bike in the World, but for riding the rough Thai roads it is great. Soaks up the pot holes at 80Km's no trouble.... Also gives you flexibility to do some dirt tracks if you fancy it... cruises at 110Km/ hr on good roads.

Not much good for touring without an Airhawk seat to cushion your rear end, but for day to day stuff it is great.

Also has huge list of 3rd party supplied extras .... check out CRF.com

Good luck !

post-221998-0-76072600-1425290773_thumb.

• Like 1

Yes the new Vulcan have different cams than Er6 & Versys that also have different cams, so each type of bike has it's own type on cams.

Now AllanB: heaps of choices man so which one do you prefer/like the most?

Looking forward to your ride report next weekbiggrin.png

Buy a CB500.

That would be exciting.

"How many posts have a started trying to figure out what bike you want?" You tell me I don't recall any.

What I should have added is that I have zero experience on anything other than a few smallish Hondas and wondered what the other three had to offer? Unlike buying a car it isn't possible to try anything out here and most KK dealers have a very limited range of bigger bikes to even sit on.

The R3 looks nice, but is there anything else that has the upright riding position of the CB and perhaps with more than a token pillion seat? Yes, the CB500 does look good and think the local dealer has one to look at too.

Someone made a point on another thread that buying a new bike only to find it boring means you will lose a big chunk of money when you sell and suggested a secondhand CBR250 instead. I know two people who bought a CBR250 and then looked to sell immediately and both bikes ran fine.

Kawa is coming out with the Z300. Naked version of the Ninja 300, should have a more upright seating position. Unfortunately it will likely have the same tiny pillion seat as its predecessor.

The V's are very good touring bikes as long as you don't want to go over 200km/h 2up, because they can't.

En6 can also be had very very cheap now.

Honda 500x is also worth consider, there must more 2nd hand around by now.

How about Honda Forza, slow but very comfortable, huge storage under the seat, but okay not the most beautiful thing I seen on the road.

Exciting is a very fine word to use for above bikes/scooter but it all depends of the eyes eying them.

I was exciting about my V650 I bought in Jan this year because no big bike for about 4 years, I still love the bike, I really do, it's fun and comfortable to ride but I will not call it super exciting but good enough for my needs/budget and I will keep it for the next 5 years minimum. Many call it a poor mans do it all bike and I think that description fits quite well.

Exciting for me would be a Ducati Hyperstrada or MT09 Tracher but since I have a family, I can't just spend big bucks on bikes, my family always comes first.

Guzzi, I can assure you that even after 5 years, you will still be enjoying your V. I just got back from Pattaya today (read my other post in the group ride thread). Got caught twice in thunder storms. The Versys handles flooded roads like a dream. You are sitting high up enough as it is but when you stand on the pegs, you get to see so much more and it absorbs the bumps so well.

The mods that you can easily do to your Versys can in fact be real life savers. LED driving lights for instance - the ride leader (on the post) was saying how easily he could spot me in his rear view mirrors. This can only be a good thing as that means other drivers can see me clearly too.

A top box (48 litres) on the back actually makes the bike better looking in my opinion and boy, did that come in useful today. I had a raincoat and rubber gloves bought on my recent North Thailand trip which I was too lazy to take out of my topbox. When I got caught in the rain, I couldn't pull over as I was on the highway so had to forced myself to continue riding. As I was only wearing mesh textile jacket, I started to get very cold in an instance and could not ride above 70 kph without freezing. When I finally managed to pull over, I put the raincoat on was immediately much warmer and was able to cruise at around 120 without a problem. I should have put the rubber gloves on as well but forgot.

If I had done this trip on my Ninja, I would probably have sworn off riding forever already.

• Like 2

I would like to mention that Allan B did not say he wanted to tour nor did he say he had a passenger in mind in his original question. He is large though.

I had a great experience with Honda's CBR 250 and it has just grown a little now to 300cc with more models too. I saw a motard version yesterday. I assume it is great like my CBR 250.

I am recovering from a motorcycle accident, one of the very common slow speed kind. Sunday was a very busy day at Big C. Usually I park my Honda CTX 700cc automatic among the cars instead of going into the special area for scooters. Because there were a lot of cars I went in the scooter area where they expect me to go. My mistake. It was a tight turn going in but coming out there were the back to back 90 degree turns with an ankle high railing along a to narrow path. Scooters went in and out with ease but I got stuck because my 220 kg long full size motorcycle couldn't make the tight turns. As I tried to unstick it it fell over on me. Because my leg was also stuck in the tight quarters I fell hard on my back. I have a sore spot on the left and a right kidney that hurts. I think that CBS 300 would wiggle in and out of there okay, not as easily as a scooter. But I usually ride back and forth to BKK, and Pattaya from Surin and this Honda CTX is great on the highway. I learned my lesson and won't try to go every where the scooters go.

Don't forget next weekend's International GP Motocross. Google it if you are a motocross fan. It is near Pattaya and Chomburi on March 7 & 8th. I'll be there with a sore back - but there!

Buy a CB500.

That would be exciting.

Oh god, now your gone and dun it! facepalm.gif Next week it will be about the best colour for the not to expensive Yamukida Procrastinator. Due in show rooms as soon as they get around to it. cheesy.gif

Better you buy an electric scooter for 40k to 50k.

Driving with no sound at all is a lot of fun and no vibrations also.

I love their selling points:

Switch

Speed handlebar

light

meter

front

brake

fender

front and rear suspension.

Ground breaking stuff! thumbsup.gif

Copy the Honda Zoomer X by any chance?