What is the best computer to buy

TheFishman1

A computer should not need to get fixed - but do not believe there is any magic choice in case the worst happens. Most computers are close to throw-away prices now and doubt there is much difference between brand service - some repair people will be better than others but this may not equate to any specific brand. I would base purchase on specs and price - in almost all cases fix if part available can be done on any brand but if part is not available there will be an issue - and virtually nothing in the way of brand spare parts is ever stocked in Thailand.

• Like 1

I bought a HP desk top; excellent quality, and as it has a 'non-registered' Windows system, had a few blue screens which their tech guys at CHI CHANG (off Chang Klan Rd) fixed at no cost.

They have a good range you could discuss with them.

buy the best value second hand computer you can, because they become obsolete so fast it is not worth buying higher-end, unless you specifically need it for some purpose. Asus is a very high quality brand, Acer is cheap and reasonable. Lenovo offers good value but you get malware installed.

Edited by Cheesekraft

My recent research led me to ASUS. Solid workhorse, medium price with ok specs. Also saved 1,000B by purchasing a white exterior compared to black.

Edited by scd
  • Like 1

Asus makes highly regarded motherboards, and have made some great netbooks. It appears that about half of computer trouble here is related to illegal OS, and/or non-updated OS. The only thing I wasn't able to use on my Samsung Chromebook has been Skype, but I quickly discovered I can call the US through Gmail for FREE, and that includes actual numbers. Never put any money on the account. Also, got 200 GB of cloud storage to use free for 2 years.

• Like 2

I know I will get a sheet-load of negative comments on this suggestion but: Get a Macintosh computer and you won't have to worry about it failing every time you turn around.

Outstanding recommendation. I have an iMac 21.5 . apple_imac_4.jpg

I have a 27 inch Retina iMac. However, I was not suggesting everyone go out and get that one. It's too expensive for a casual user. Mac's are practically immune to virus attacks. You can get a simple MacMini box, and use it with any stand-alone monitor, PC keyboard, USB (PC) Mouse, etc. Cost will be about the same as the low-end PC's which seem to be built to fail. Most professional Mac users never load any anti-virus junk on their systems as they are not needed.

• Like 1

Dell all the way . . . ! thumbsup.gif

i've got 3 . . latest (last week) eats Apples for breakfast. 24gb ram, core i7 4790 4ghz, 2tb 7200rpm + 32gb ssd drives, geforce gtx750ti 2gb DDR5 graphics. 1/3 price of anything apple gets anywhere near.

I haven't used a Mac myself since ~2005 but I am pretty knowledable when it comes to computer hardware (windows), and I have been shopping around a lot for laptops, and I have to say the quality of the Mac hardware is outstanding. They are so much better constructed than similarly priced laptops (talking about the macbook pro) that its worth considering them as an option; plus they look neat. You can even install windows on one now, in full, to use the many programs that Mac can't run!

It depends what you

Plan on using it for... For me it is just email and web surfing ...

So bottom of the line Acer does everything I need in a lap top...

Buying an apple or any other high end laptop would just be a waste of money for me...

Kind of like buying your own helicopter to commute to work.. When your office is 300m down the road...

It depends what you

Plan on using it for... For me it is just email and web surfing ...

So bottom of the line Acer does everything I need in a lap top...

Buying an apple or any other high end laptop would just be a waste of money for me...

Kind of like buying your own helicopter to commute to work.. When your office is 300m down the road...

i have had two Acer's both purchased in Chiang Mai both took a big shyt, total crap they are. Never never and I do mean NEVER will I own another Acer.sick.gif

• Like 1

Very much depends on your skill level. If you are in the novice category, get a Mac, that's their target demographic.

This is for the novice..

typewriter.jpg

Where do you put the disk in this printer?? tongue.png

• Like 1

I have had 4 acer laptops, never any problem good prices good quality.

Keep in mind that on THE pc or laptop is standing an brand name.

Inside could be anything, as harddisc from Western digital, samsung etc, wifi module, memory, bluetooth etc THE same story.

I build one desktop pc running as an champ all different parts from different brands

Ive got an acer laptop which I voided warranty on first day to swap in a ssd drive, works fine and fast despite lowish spec.

Self built 32gb ram, triple display pc powerhouse for work....

Owned and used macs, agree that their manufacturing design and quality is outstanding but not convinced that it is always worth the money, can get 2 machines of equal power in slightly less pretty cases for the cost. But currently considering an imac since the right tool for some upcoming projects.

And as for the suggestion of a typewriter for novices, novices need a spellcheck and backspace, typewriter is a tool that needs a professional to use efficiently.

Give a novice a mac and an expert a parker pen.

my wifes samsung i5 laptop has never missed a beat in 5 years

We may have the same model, also an i5 around 5 or 6 years old. Can't recommend it highly enough, and it's had a lot of abuse and a very, very hard life. Although the OP has asked for a computer, there really isn't any benefit from not buying a laptop nowadays apart from screen size, and that can be easily overcome by hooking it up to the TV if you really want a big screen (any video in HD will be limited by the maximum resolution of your laptop). The only money I've spent on mine has been a new keyboard when it decided to have a glass of beer a couple of years ago, a new battery a year ago (it's on about 18 hours every day) and a solid state hard drive about 12 months ago (which wasn't needed but is seriously the best money I've ever spent on computing).

Over the years I've had a top of the range Sony, close to bottom of the range both Acer and Asus and this mid range Samsung. My next one, whenever that will be, will be another Samsung. On past performance I honestly can't believe it's lasted this long. To balance things up, Lenovo are very good value for money and seem to go the distance, and perhaps I was just unlucky in getting a poorly constructed Acer and a lemon of an Asus (although I have to say I've heard so many people complain about Acer - in Thailand, Australia and England - that I would never advise anyone to buy one). If I were unable to buy a Samsung it would be a Lenovo.

Unless the main user is doing serious data crunching (the only reason for me buying the Sony) or is a very serious game player, there is absolutely no reason or benefit for anyone to spend the additional money on a high-end or expensive machine. You can do most things most people do with a $30 Raspberry Pi, TV screen, and a bit of knowledge, so I'd say to the OP pick something in-between those two or a higher-end second hand machine (not a bottom end one if not new).