How much is a thai style apartment in Bangkok?

tuonsai

I live in Phnom Penh and here you can get an okay 1-2 bedroom Khmer style apartment in the center for around 300 USD, or about 10.000 baht per month,

which you can fix up a bit and live there for a couple years. These apartments are usually 50-70 square meters in size and are in shop houses, but sometimes not

shophouses.

I'm curious how much the same would cost me in a downtown location in Bangkok ? Do they rent thai style apartments to foreigners or is it just condos there?

What areas are these apartments most prevalent?

I don't want to go to the outskirts, somewhere in the downtown area only, not necessarily prime location though.

Thanks

Ok thanks for the answers. So basically it's possible but I would have to be at the end of a soi for this price. That sounds like a bit of a walk though. Too much.

I know may sound like a ridiculous question, but I'm afraid to drive a motorbike in the city. However, if I buy just

an old motor bike to get between the main road and my apartment up and down the soi, do you think I would have a safe way to store it

next to the main road while I'm away from home? What would be my options for that ?

I would take the BTS or taxi from the main road. Thanks!

Edited by tuonsai

Saying you want to live downtown is a bit loose..Bangkok downtown is huge

I know, and I wasn't asking about a specific location, just about prices in general. I can see from the map

that Bangkok has mazes of sois opening to large roads. My question is if I live buried in one of those mazes, and

get an old motorbike just to get out to the main road, will I be able to put the motorbike somewhere safe along the main road?

I know motorcycle taxis and they are a pain, so I would want to get my own motorbike just to get to the nearest main road. I'm talking

about some piece of junk I would just use not to have to walk to the main road 2-3 times each day.

Thanks

The girlfriend pays 5125b a month for her room. It's a basic studio near On Nut station. I'm quite happy to stay there.

Here old place was by Phra Khanong market and was a bit rougher and she paid about 2800b a month. I could bear it, but no aircon and a neighbouring mosque.

I live in a studio apartment in the middle of Bangkok. A five minute walk to the MRT or subway. A one minute walk to the bus stop on Rama 4 road, I would say I am 100 yards in the Soi. With a yearly lease I pay 4,500 baht a month rent and another 450 baht a month for maintenance which includes security, cleaning the halls and trash service which I drop in baskets at the elevator on my floor. I have a car so I pay 600 baht per month extra for indoor covered building parking in my building, they also have motorcycle parking. I would say the residency is 95 percent Thai people which is fine with me. We have 4 laundry mats, one drop off laundry, restaurants, massage shops, internet cafes and a morning fresh market in the next Soi which is very handy. I installed an air conditioner in my room and my last electric bill was 1,254 Baht for the month and they charge me 6 Baht per unit, my water was 154 Baht. If you would like more information feel free to private message me.

Edited by BobTH

I live in a studio apartment in the middle of Bangkok. A five minute walk to the MRT or subway. A one minute walk to the bus stop on Rama 4 road, I would say I am 100 yards in the Soi. With a yearly lease I pay 4,500 baht a month rent and another 450 baht a month for maintenance which includes security, cleaning the halls and trash service which I drop in baskets at the elevator on my floor. I have a car so I pay 600 baht per month extra for indoor covered building parking in my building, they also have motorcycle parking. I would say the residency is 95 percent Thai people which is fine with me. We have 4 laundry mats, one drop off laundry, restaurants, massage shops, internet cafes and a morning fresh market in the next Soi which is very handy. I installed an air conditioner in my room and my last electric bill was 1,254 Baht for the month and they charge me 6 Baht per unit, my water was 154 Baht. If you would like more information feel free to private message me.

Cleaning and security? Lol. Well, I guess that's one way for mgmt to explain costs away.

I'm ten min, safe walk from MRT. Central BKK. Decent area but no amens (lots of massage joints). Older bldg but well kept. Full sliding door and smaller window (not ez to find). Clean, safe. Grouchy but efficient office. Has parking. Upper floor, facing east. B4900. Elec is b7 and water for two incl washing machine b175. Good and cheap resty in.the bldg. Know staff by face abdrhey know me. I really like it. Its as good as it gets for this price.

Farangs have found the place. So a bit of dread. You are all such a weird lot.

Really funny, was here years before saw first farang. No one says hello when they pass. The Thai do of course. All on secret missions I suppose. Funny how the teachers come and go so quickly, 555.

Edited by Mencken

Ok thanks for the answers. So basically it's possible but I would have to be at the end of a soi for this price. That sounds like a bit of a walk though. Too much.

I know may sound like a ridiculous question, but I'm afraid to drive a motorbike in the city. However, if I buy just

an old motor bike to get between the main road and my apartment up and down the soi, do you think I would have a safe way to store it

next to the main road while I'm away from home? What would be my options for that ?

Get a new job if you cant walk a km or 2 to the main road, basically.

If it does not have to be downtown, but still easy access to downtown via BTS or Buses --->>> Thai style apartments start at 2.500 a month, that price will probably not get you an AC but Fan only. all student areas (Ramkhamhaeng, Lat Phrao, Rangsit, Bangna) have an abundance of cheap units available. In my older style Condo complex in the suburbs, with easy access and plenty of Malls and hypermarts in the vicinity of 5 KM, you can have a double unit (76 sqm) for 10K

craigslist is unknown to most Thais, but there are a plethora of rental / real estate websites in Thailand

If it does not have to be downtown, but still easy access to downtown via BTS or Buses --->>> Thai style apartments start at 2.500 a month, that price will probably not get you an AC but Fan only. all student areas (Ramkhamhaeng, Lat Phrao, Rangsit, Bangna) have an abundance of cheap units available. In my older style Condo complex in the suburbs, with easy access and plenty of Malls and hypermarts in the vicinity of 5 KM, you can have a double unit (76 sqm) for 10K

craigslist is unknown to most Thais, but there are a plethora of rental / real estate websites in Thailand

There's plenty of places that are cheap in BKK. You can get decent places with AC and a pool and minimart on site for less than 7k / mo

Get a new job if you cant walk a km or 2 to the main road, basically.

What?? Dude (or dudette) do you know how much a kilometer is ? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

No I don't want to walk multiple kilometers a day in the Bangkok heat just to get to the main road and back.

And how is this related to my job? It's so funny some of the ridiculous nonsense some people post here.

But thanks a lot for the great answers from the others !!

Edited by tuonsai

1 km is like a 15 minute walk or a 3 minute moto-taxi. Damn you're lazy.

Yeah but I usually go out 2-3 times a day, so add that together and it would be walking 1.0 - 1.5 hours just to get to the main road (not including walking in the city)

per day sometimes in 40+ degress celsius or rain. Motors taxis are not going to wait for me in front of my house in some back soi maze,

plus I hate taking them anyway. Not cheap either.

So damn, I'm not lazy, you must by CRAZY!

But if you enjoy spending 10% of your time awake walking in Bangkok, good for you, you can save money

compared to going to the gym.

Edited by tuonsai
  • Like 1

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Moto taxis are closeby to most all big apartment blocks. There are also lots of stores and other things off the main roads. Bangkok is not exactly a one destination city. How do you think people who live deep in the soi survive? You really think everyone is spending a huge part of their day walking around?

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Moto taxis are closeby to most all big apartment blocks. There are also lots of stores and other things off the main roads. Bangkok is not exactly a one destination city. How do you think people who live deep in the soi survive? You really think everyone is spending a huge part of their day walking around?

In fact, the deeper in a soi an apartment building is and the less it costs, the more likely there will be a motorcycle taxi stand near it. Since parking a bike safely at the mouth of a soi is difficult and not free(for safety)....

BTW if you don't ride a bike at "home". You certainly shouldn't even on back streets in BKK

There are lots of condos in Ratchatewi/silom which are pretty much dead centre, costing about 25k/30k for a 2 bedroom place. As far as I know that's the two most expensive areas to rent in BKK.

But honestly the BTS/MRT is very fast and cheap, its not a serious inconvenience to live somewhere further out and a lot cheaper. You can be 8 or 9 BTS stops out of the centre and its still fast and easy to get around - and the rents are much cheaper.

Edited by razorramone

Okay so you think I'm wrong, but let me ask you, how much do you pay for a moto taxi to take you one kilometer?

Multiply that by let's say 5 times a day on average as I would say I go out 2.5 times on average.

How much would it cost me a month? Because I'm thinking I would be paying about the price of an old motorbike in 2-3 months.

And what if the motortaxi drivers are all busy or not available? This happens quite a bit in Phnom Penh, I'm sure the same is true in BKK.

Add the cost of my time looking for them, or walking when they're not available, plus the hassle of dealing with these guys and

the really unconfortable ride on the back of someone else's motorbike (I'm a big guy) and am I still wrong?

As for amenties in the area, I'm sure some areas are better than others, but I still need to move around the larger city every day.

Edited by tuonsai

30 baht round-trip cost and I'm 1.3 km in.

You might elect to buy a motorbike, some people do. Remember to factor in the added inconvenience and maintenance requirements.

Motor taxi drivers are constantly driving around. Even in the dead of night there are always regular taxis. It is not a treasure hunt to find one.

Add the cost of my time looking for them, or walking when they're not available, plus the hassle of dealing with these guys and the really uncomfortable ride on the back of someone else's motorbike (I'm a big guy) and am I still wrong?

Anyone can believe what they choose to and if you want to peg your heels in, then feel free. The bottom line is public transport in Bangkok is generally considered to be very good. Thais and foreigners alike use it.

To me it's clear from your post that you haven't really used the short range taxis for much, or you've already made up your mind about them and are looking for a justification.

Edited by Hal65

The OP sounds like a lazy, entitled pussy. He's complaining about walking 1 or 2 km to the main road. Did you know that in Africa even children and elderly people have to walk 20 km to collect water, on rough dirt roads and up hill (there are no hills in BKK) and then walk 20 km back to their home carrying gallons of water, every single day? He's a soft, feeble half-man, which is a creature that BKK is sadly bursting at the seams with these days. Grow a pair.

The OP sounds like a lazy, entitled pussy. He's complaining about walking 1 or 2 km to the main road. Did you know that in Africa even children and elderly people have to walk 20 km to collect water, on rough dirt roads and up hill (there are no hills in BKK) and then walk 20 km back to their home carrying gallons of water, every single day? He's a soft, feeble half-man, which is a creature that BKK is sadly bursting at the seams with these days. Grow a pair.

You're funny, but not really based in this world, are you?

Walking 20 kilometers takes about 3-4 hours, so if they walk it twice a day, there wouldn't be much time left for anything else.

I think these stories about the hardships the natives go through is usually BS. Most natives all over the world

are lazy as hell. They'll die of thirst before walking 20 kilometers.

You enjoy walking in the 40-42 degree Bangkok heat, like I said I'm happy for you! Keep walking, man, and ignore

all the thais in your street who think you must be mentally ill.

@Hal65 Actually I take motorbike taxis all the time and I don't like them. Like I said, very uncomfortable and not cheap either.

Thanks others, for the answers that made any sense.

Edited by tuonsai

because that is the state of affairs in africa (only some parts), then it makes it ok to critisise someone who doesn't want to walk such a distance? for god sakes all he asked was a simple question about leaving his bike on a soi

• Like 1