Couple sentenced to 18 months imprisonment for forest encroachment

webfact

Couple sentenced to 18 months imprisonment for forest encroachment

3-3-2558-16-23-43-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former immigration police chief of Samut Sakhon and his wife were sentenced to one year and six months and fined 375,000 baht each after they were found guilty by the Criminal Court of forest encroachment and illegal land holding in Ratchaburi’s Suan Poeng district on Tuesday.

The couple, Pol Col Kowit Muangnuan and Mrs Sudathip, were charged with encroaching over ten rai of forest land in Suan Poeng district and of illegally building a concrete weir across a stream.

The couple confessed to the charges and were initially sentenced to three years imprisonment and fined 750,000 baht each. The sentence was however halved due to their confession.

Earlier, Mrs Sudathip was given two years and six months jailterm for lese majeste.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/couple-sentenced-to-18-months-imprisonment-for-forest-encroachment

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-03

wow, seems that they are finally really coming down/jailing these people but the fines are pretty pathetic, they should be seizing all their assets and selling them to compensate for all the damage and financial gains they have made.

• Like 1

wow, seems that they are finally really coming down/jailing these people but the fines are pretty pathetic, they should be seizing all their assets and selling them to compensate for all the damage and financial gains they have made.

I'm pretty sure that has happened, or is in the process. These guys were caught up in that mess with Pongpat.

• Like 1

Of course, they are far too important in the community to be shamed with their photos shown, or are there other publications where they can be seen?

Has the concrete weir been dismantled/demolished or was it actually of some benefit?

Has their encroachment been dismantled if of a physical nature with buildings etc? The fine is probably small change to these types. Still, all in all, a move in the right direction.

I wonder if we might get a 90 day report on their progress and conditions in jail?

Exactly, just about every other person accused of a crime has the photo parade with several willing police used as the back drop, how come these people can hide? Evidence that the two rule system is still in place here, either show all face or show none.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm pretty sure that has happened, or is in the process. These guys were caught up in that mess with Pongpat.

I'm sure your right Craig, they've only been nicked because of that...

The army traditionally was involved in the "management" of forests in Thailand - especially those on the border. They have overseen logging, smuggling etc.

Immigration is of course a police division.

One really needs to look at the whole picture of prosecutions regarding encroachment - in particular in the WFC. it may turn out that there is a bias in who is actually being prosecuted under these regulations.

The army of course have said that they have just claims on large areas of forest in that region.

• Like 2

How can you not like this news?

Why? Cos it involves a top immigration officer?............Karma eh?

I like it also..............

The fact that you like this has a Karmic consequence. Obvious, you not a Buddhist so please quit talking about Karma, as though you were an expert on it.

So when will they take back the wifes land stolen by next door neighbour who believes he cant be touched......And jail him too for a while.

Great to see this....

What was the reaction of the authorities when your wife reported this theft of her land? Were there investigations and survey checks etc. "They" won't take it back, but if there is sufficient proof that your wife has been wronged, perhaps there is a chance , but then again, TIT.

BTW you never mentioned how much land has been seized by your neighbour.

illegally building a concrete weir across a stream.

A bridge?

A dam

Neither really......a weir is a barrier used to control the flow of a river or create a controlled level behind it - it allows water to flow over the top once that level has been achieved.

the problems with weirs can be that they change/impede the flow of water, altering the environment of the stream/river and interfere with the natural migration of fish and other marine life. It may even have been used for fish farming which can be incredibly damaging to the environment.

• Like 2

So when will they take back the wifes land stolen by next door neighbour who believes he cant be touched......And jail him too for a while.

Great to see this....

What was the reaction of the authorities when your wife reported this theft of her land? Were there investigations and survey checks etc. "They" won't take it back, but if there is sufficient proof that your wife has been wronged, perhaps there is a chance , but then again, TIT.

BTW you never mentioned how much land has been seized by your neighbour.

No one around here will standup and be counted for what this neighbour does.....(They like living).

Me , i am only a guest in this country, so have to stay out of it....

Rotten part this guy took Government land also , which was originally donated to the community (by wifes family) for the building of a Temple....so there you have it....untouchable!!!!

I think this is a very naive interpretation of what is happening. Look into the background of the case, look at the map and then look at how much land the army "owns or controls" in that area and I think you'lll come to a very different appraisal of what is actually happening there.

• Like 2

I think this is a very naive interpretation of what is happening. Look into the background of the case, look at the map and then look at how much land the army "owns or controls" in that area and I think you'lll come to a very different appraisal of what is actually happening there.

Does "naive interpretetation" mean he doesn't buy your conspiracy theory? Have you any proof that these people are actually innocent, or are you claiming that the bias of those pressing charges is more important than the crime?