Stuck on the Malaysian side of the Sadao border checkpoint. What to do?

I have to do a visa run in about a week and it will be my second 2 month tourist visa (from penang). That alone might be not so bad but I have 3 years worth of other BA visas and extensions as well.

Things will probably be ok but IF I were to get refused entry to Thailand I need to have a plan so I am not left standing at the border looking sad and confused.

What is the best thing to do in this situation? Try to find accomodation in the area which may be a long shot or try to get a taxi to Penang or somewhere? Or is there buses?

I would also have to stamp back into Malaysia, could that present a problem?

My stuff is all in Thailand as well so how long until I could go back to retrieve it?

It may seem stupid being hypothetical but i'm sure it is going to be alot easier to work out laying on bed than with no ringitt and no phone, tired and hungry on the Malaysian border.

A few days ago, I entered through Sadao border for a 30 days visa exemption after a 2 months tourist visa (stayed about 2 weeks in Malaysia). Was a bit stressed because my cash had been stolen a few hours before I got on the bus in Kuala Lumpur, thus I only had 500 bath to show. No questions asked, went through even with a smile from the immigration officer.

You cannot be denied entry for having to many tourist visas or exempt entries. You can only be denied entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common denial is is for lack of financial proof (20k baht) and/or suspicion of working here illegally.

Under Thai immigration law, persons entering Thailand are required to provide the appropriate visa or requirements for the intended purpose of stay.

As such if a person cannot produce the relevant documents required then that person may be refused entry under Thailand Immigration Law.

You cannot be denied entry for having to many tourist visas or exempt entries. You can only be denied entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common denial is is for lack of financial proof (20k baht) and/or suspicion of working here illegally.

My friend (an oil and gas worker) was told at the airport 'last time' recently when coming here..

He has since relocated to Phnom Penh leaving behind a mess of motorbikes, house possessions etc..

I advised him to simply test the 'last time' entry as it was possibly just an officer having a bad day but he has decided to avoid Thailand if they dont want his money. He had the usual oil and gas workers passport full of in and out stamps not back to back.

My friend (an oil and gas worker) was told at the airport 'last time' recently when coming here..

He has since relocated to Phnom Penh leaving behind a mess of motorbikes, house possessions etc..

I advised him to simply test the 'last time' entry as it was possibly just an officer having a bad day but he has decided to avoid Thailand if they dont want his money. He had the usual oil and gas workers passport full of in and out stamps not back to back.

Immigration officers saying you cannot have more than 6 exempt entries or 90 days total has been covered in other topics. There is no such rules. They are just meant to an alert for the officer to look back and see what the entries were.

They can then ask for financial proof and proof you are not working here.

Immigration officers saying you cannot have more than 6 exempt entries or 90 days total has been covered in other topics. There is no such rules. They are just meant to an alert for the officer to look back and see what the entries were.

this guy is working illigal and braking the immigration and visa rules for years !!

No one should give him recommandation

and he should go back from where he comes !!

this guy is working illigal and braking the immigration and visa rules for years !!

You need to try reading the post again. He is not working here. He is working outside the country on a rotation like many oil and gas workers are.

I have to do a visa run in about a week and it will be my second 2 month tourist visa (from penang)

Entering at Sadao is not a big problem, at worst give Bt 200.

If you have been here 2 months you can extend for 30 days at immigration, cost is Bt 1,900.

If you need more than 90 days you should consider going to Vientane, Laos, do double entry.

Edited by paz

Actually considering scrapping this whole trip to penang now and doing it via air to vietnam. The only benefit of doing it to penang was that if you do it through a certain visarun company they somehow manage to get you a visa without proof of onward travel...

Silly me however forgot that I am leaving for australia in april so can provide this anyway.

so thanks for the answers. Still a pretty crap situation to be in stuck at the sadao border so maybe the thread could help someone in future.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi

Old Guy from Australia. Last week I did a border run at Sadao only wanted to stay ten days in Hat Yai from KL so I did not bother with a tourust visa. Generally I have had a Tourist Visa. I was going for a 15 day visa exempt. Sadoa is the worst visa crossing in my experience. The female immigration officier was not happy that I dd not have a TR visa. Why you no have visa. Only staying for ten days. You come to Thailand many times. So what I stated I am retired. She counted every page in my passport with me just waiting there and a Q behind me. I had left $ 2 malay in my passport but I ask for my passport back and remove the cash. So we just stood there. I move to the side so that she could see the Q and I could see her computer screen.

Listed was all my visit to Thailand in the last 7 years...about 2 per year. After a while she made a lot of noise but stampt my passport. So if you think that throwing your passport away in the washing machine will do you any good...maybe not as they have a list . I am glad that I am coming to the end of my visits to Thailand. Good luck to the rest of you guys.