Why do so many girlfriends want to go to Norway? Anyone elses gf spoken of this?

I have had 3 girls tell me that they might go to Norway as they have a "cousin" living there or a friend working as a maid or something.

The first girl that told me this, said her cousin had married an old man and he has a friend apparently available to marry. Her mother was pushing her to go and marry this guy who she never met but she said she didn't want too.

Second girl seems to have no confidence, desires or aspirations to go anywhere or be anything but one day randomly blurts out to me that if she doesn't go to Australia (where i'm from) that she will probably go to Norway. I know she doesn't know a lot of westerners and fairly certain nobody from Norway. She cannot speak a word of English.

Third girl (a Nurse) told me last night that her friend is a maid in Norway and she is thinking of going over there as well... she says this knowing I would like her to go to Australia and have already sent her the forms to fill out???

This is only 3 girls over the course of 5 years but I get a strong sense of bulls__t when they are telling me and it makes me wonder how they are all on the same page with this Norway rubbish. Are they all reading the same book?

Wondering if anyone else has heard this before?

I think Jip99 got it right. They hear about how much a maid earns there and think that's all money in her pocket.

About ten years back the girls were talking about moving to America.

A lot of this probably has to do with the strength of the particular country's currency at a given time.

Edited by mesquite

I have had 3 girls tell me that they might go to Norway as they have a "cousin" living there or a friend working e against thas a maid or something.

The first girl that told me this, said her cousin had married an old man and he has a friend apparently available to marry. Her mother was pushing her to go and marry this guy who she never met but she said she didn't want too.

Second girl seems to have no confidence, desires or aspirations to go anywhere or be anything but one day randomly blurts out to me that if she doesn't go to Australia (where i'm from) that she will probably go to Norway. I know she doesn't know a lot of westerners and fairly certain nobody from Norway. She cannot speak a word of English.

Third girl (a Nurse) told me last night that her friend is a maid in Norway and she is thinking of going over there as well... she says this knowing I would like her to go to Australia and have already sent her the forms to fill out???

This is only 3 girls over the course of 5 years but I get a strong sense of bulls__t when they are telling me and it makes me wonder how they are all on the same page with this Norway rubbish. Are they all reading the same book?

Yes a, I am open to correction here, but I believe that the Norway Kroni has held it's value against the Thai Baht, despite a recent slight downturn. However, I believe that the state

pension for a retired Norwegian is circa 80,000 B per month. The transfer of this pension to a Thai wife on demise of the husband is easier then elsewhere.

Either this or Norwegians are hung like cart horses.

OP, I wonder if you have spoken to my extended inlaws....many of them live in Norway. Amongst them 3 sisters between 45 and 55 yrs old, extended inlaws, all married with with old, drinking, norwegian males...houses in the village.....mamma happy toooo much !!

I'm Norwegian , we have a mix of nationalities living there due to immigration laws are not so strict compared to other EU countries.

But I think the main reason is they hear stories from friends and relatives that they earn good money , it doesn't matter if it's Norway , Sweden or Australia. As long as they can find gold in the other end of the tunnel , they want to go there.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

I'm Norwegian , we have a mix of nationalities living there due to immigration laws are not so strict compared to other EU countries.

But I think the main reason is they hear stories from friends and relatives that they earn good money , it doesn't matter if it's Norway , Sweden or Australia. As long as they can find gold in the other end of the tunnel , they want to go there.

yes money is good but isnt cost of living and taxes high?

• Like 1

yes money is good but isnt cost of living and taxes high?

One of the highest in the world, but it doesnt matter as long as they can send money back to Thailand every month, I know a few that married to Isaan girls , about half of them divorced after a few years and then they remarried or could continue to live in the country and work or they could apply for financial wellfare support in Norway, especially if they brought the kids over. Then the rest of the relatives will try to do the same. When you look at it from the outside it feels like a game to some of them. Having said that you'll find many successfull relationships as well.

• Like 1

glad you are open to correction.....you are totally wrong, the krone is way down against the baht in the last year( around 5.5 to 4.2, more than 20% !!!!!!)...why do ppl post stuff b4 they check???

I have had 3 girls tell me that they might go to Norway as they have a "cousin" living there or a friend working e against thas a maid or something.

Yes a, I am open to correction here, but I believe that the Norway Kroni has held it's value against the Thai Baht, despite a recent slight downturn. However, I believe that the state
pension for a retired Norwegian is circa 80,000 B per month. The transfer of this pension to a Thai wife on demise of the husband is easier then elsewhere.
Either this or Norwegians are hung like cart horses.
  • Like 1

In case you haven't noticed, Thai girls wet their panties for tall white guys with blonde hair.

At any rate, this doesn't sound very different from the kinds of things girls say back home. I remember being 22 and hearing girls say stupid stuff like, "I want to go to [insert foreign destination of the month]", not knowing anything about the place. They hear a friend talk about these places and see em in a movie and become fascinated with em. No biggie.

For the record, the Thai girls I know that went to Norway eventually admitted the hated they place. Too cold, too dark, and too lonely.

Edited by eldragon

There's a substantial Thai community in Svalbard of all places. Last place you'd expect to find them.

If I remember right, it's something to do with visa. If thai people visa on Norway expires, she/he can still go to Svalbard? Many I talked were divorced norway man and come there to work, salary there is great.