Jalapeños... seen them anywhere?

NanLaew

Working on my Hooters-style wing sauce and getting close to their 'Bentley' (hotter than 3-mile island) standard. Now need some fresh jalapeños to make the final touch. Has anyone seen them around? I think I may have seen some on the freshies stand at Best @ Dolphin roundabout a while back so anyone knowing better, please advise.

Thanks,

NL

I used to buy them regularly usually from the Royal Projects shop ground floor of Central and sometimes from VIlla Avenue. Haven't seen any for months at the former but rarely visit the latter.

I can confirm bugger all at Villa (and Foodland, Best, TOPS and Friendship).

Plan B....

I usually get them at Royal Project (Doi Kham) stores, but they don't have them year round. Got a big batch two weeks ago, used it as a base to make a Chili Verde; lovely.

If you let them ripen to red and then harvest the seeds then they will grow.. You do need to shade them, and pests/disease are a problem. It's a little hit & miss if they take off or not.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for the scoop. Grabbed two packs. They were there tonight. Still some left. For now.

I am going get an extra couple of bags and pickle them. What do you do with them? Use them fresh?

The Thai ones usually don't have much heat and only a faint flavor compared to the "old country" but better than nothing. I used them raw in salads, side vegetable garnishes, and also cooked in Chinese stir fries. In the U.S. a lot of Asian restaurants use them! I don't actually cook anything Mex or Tex Mex here. I can live without jalapenos here but still buy them when I see them. I can't seem to live without avocados which are a luxury item here ... gotta have 'em!

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the scoop. Grabbed two packs. They were there tonight. Still some left. For now.

I am going get an extra couple of bags and pickle them. What do you do with them? Use them fresh?

The Thai ones usually don't have much heat and only a faint flavor compared to the "old country" but better than nothing. I used them raw in salads, side vegetable garnishes, and also cooked in Chinese stir fries. In the U.S. a lot of Asian restaurants use them! I don't actually cook anything Mex or Tex Mex here. I can live without jalapenos here but still buy them when I see them. I can't seem to live without avocados which are a luxury item here ... gotta have 'em!

We bought two and half kilo of avocados at the market north of Chiang Mai. Big buggers too... 80 baht/kilo so only 200 baht!

I will let you know when I am making my next trip!

PS. Saw the 79 baht each 'baby' avocados at Villa yesterday.

I used to buy them regularly usually from the Royal Projects shop ground floor of Central and sometimes from VIlla Avenue. Haven't seen any for months at the former but rarely visit the latter.

2 days ago, I bought some at the Royal Projects shop in the basement of Central Festival mall. 30b for a bag containing about 10

Edited by cigar7

2 days ago, I bought some at the Royal Projects shop in the basement of Central Festival mall. 30b for a bag containing about 10

Me too ... it's in the thread.

Some of the jalapenos grown in Thailand have considerable heat. A friend brought me some he bought at the market in Sattahip that were among the hottest I've ever tried. I sliced them without gloves and my hands were on fire. I normally don't experience this

Edited by bangsaenguy

I've been buying jalapenos at Pattaya stores for several years now. Not once, not even once, did I get one with considerable heat, not even moderate heat. My experience outside Thailand is pot luck ... the heat varies a lot from mild to wild, and I have no way of telling before buying. Why these Thai market jalapenos are so weak I haven't a clue. Any farmers here?

Edited by Jingthing