"Illegal" Bikes in used Bike Shops

wowjudo

So after visiting few used Big Bike shops with my friend that is in search for a ducati i have seen alot of bikes that have invoice document only

I am not sure what this means when the seller says "Only have Invoice paper"

Does that mean if you buy the bike you won't get the green book or any evidence of you owning the bike ?

Or what is the logic behind buying these bikes. 70% of all the shops are invoice only bikes

correct me if I am wrong, but I think nowadays it is practically impossible to get a green book on an second hand imported bike,

People will still ride them, fake plates etc. just a risk because if you crash your are screwed and if the cops want to they can heavily fine you for not having a road legal bike.

Good for a track bike though, cos they should be cheap if just the invoice.

So they can just confiscate it and perhaps it ends up in some auction ?

Or are they just legal to own (like u said for track-only use) but prohibited to ride on the streets

correct me if I am wrong, but I think nowadays it is practically impossible to get a green book on an second hand imported bike,

People will still ride them, fake plates etc. just a risk because if you crash your are screwed and if the cops want to they can heavily fine you for not having a road legal bike.

Good for a track bike though, cos they should be cheap if just the invoice.

So they can just confiscate it and perhaps it ends up in some auction ?

Or are they just legal to own (like u said for track-only use) but prohibited to ride on the streets

Yes

Without a green book you can't be insured or taxed, and no plate - so very much illegal for the street.

I have heard they can take the bike if you are riding it on the road illegally - I mean if a cop likes the look of you bike and it is illegal, what are you going to do about it? Not worth the risk.

For a track bike it is OK cos you are not on the road, and you have proof of ownership from the invoice, but make sure you have the tax receipts to show tax was paid when it was imported in.

As many people have said on here, it is just not worth the hassle riding invoice bikes around, there are plenty of legal big bikes you can buy new or second hand now.

• Like 1

I wouldn't risk riding around on an invoice bike. If you live far enough out in the sticks the police might not really care, but you won't be able to insure it, and if you ride somewhere like Bangkok, Pattaya, etc. there's a good chance the cops will fine you or even confiscate the bike. It's worth it to get a bike with a legit green book, unless you just want it for a track bike as mentioned above.

Hi-So Thais sometimes buy bikes with invoice only or they used to.

The major of Pattaya had a big Harley without plates, several police chiefs too.

They could get away with it before but maybe not anymore, they have been confiscating very expensive cars for a while now, a lot of them

I think it's good that they do it, why can a super rich Thai drive a Ferrari and not paying the import taxes?

As a foreigner forget it man unless as mentioned you want a track bike and ferry it on a truck.

• Like 1

since the law changed and bikes imported by companies without an official import license cant be registered anymore it became a coomplete diffrent story about invoice bikes they are still around but most don't sell/ buy them anymore. also the whole big bike market in the last 2 years changed completley which also makes grey imports less intressting. you can still buy them if you know the risks up to you...