My dog just ran in my neighbors yard..

LarryBird

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, dog owners never see their own dogs as a problem, as they are always the nicest dogs etc. The same goes for parents and their kids etc.

I agree, but the breed of the dog is at least an indication of its temperament, though. (Please don't cite the one lab out of 1,000,000 that you know that's aggressive.) If the dog was aggressive, I wouldn't have kept him as we have young children. I grew up around aggressive dogs, have some in the neighborhood, and I despise them. And I can remember as a kid, people holding back their doberman's or german shepherds that were foaming at the bit while they said 'oh, don't worry, he doesn't bite. The thing is, the neighbor was never threatened, nor did he feel threatened, he just didn't like the dog running in his yard, which is why he went after him with a flimsy broom. Had he been scared or something like that, I could understand. While he is an average size dog, he's fairly strong looking.

We have lived in the neighborhood for close to 9 years, and the dog escapes once or twice a year. Although, he has been making more of an effort recently. I am not sure what the point of me coming on here and misrepresenting the facts would be. It's hard to imagine someone owning dogs and the dogs not escaping from a leash, running out of the yard, at least occasionally.

And do you believe the Thai neighbour has a list of alien dog breeds telling them which are dangerous and which are docile?

Your neighbour, and you apparently already have problems with aggressive dogs.

One thing for sure, they all shit where they please.

Labs may well kill a cat.

You are responsible for your dog and should not allow him to trespass on neighbour's property.

Did you apologise?

Labs are bred to be killers. Of birds. My neighbor has a lab that is absolutely a sweetheart with people. I really like the dog. But one day it got in with another neighbor's chickens and killed almost all of them in a matter of moments. The owner of the chickens said the dog ran around just quickly biting each chicken and releasing to bite another. It was doing what it was bred to do.

Fortunately the chickens weren't pets and the dog owner was able to quickly pay for them and offer to bury them.

I would trust no bird dog such as a lab or golden retriever or any other around birds of any kind even if I trusted it with my kids which I doubt unless it was my dog and I knew the dog well.

Maybe the Thai neighbor overreacted but hey, it's his home, not the dog's.

Labs are bred for retrieving game, not killing it, the killing is done by the shooter. Sometimes 'townies' don't have a clue about field spirts.

Man, there are a lot of dog haters on this form.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are a lot of Thai dogs running loose. There are many reasons why driving in Thailand is so dangerous: one is the dog problem. In my small circle of friends and relatives, I know three who have had accidents because of strays. My step-daughter was brought off her motor bike & knocked unconscious in this way. I wonder how many possible fatalities are down to dogs?

Other than working dogs, I would ban the lot. They are barking nuisances; disease carrying; muck-spreading vermin.

This will be unpopular, but too bad. I hate dogs. I loathe dogs. I can't stand them, big or small. I had a '70 Dodge Charger, freshly painted, and a neighbor's dog ran into my yard, friendly as all get out, and scratched the driver side door trying to climb in. I was FURIOUS, but was never compensated. "It's just a few scratches," the owner whined. It's your responsibility to keep your dog controlled. Perhaps this neighbor had an experience similar to mine. My bet is you won't let your dog do a repeat.

You don't like dogs? Get bitten when you were a kid, or something? Oh, well. Your "hell" will be to spend an eternity in a dog kennel with millions of dogs. lol

cheesy.gif

Never was bitten from what he says... his paint job on his '***ymobile got scratched and he thinks he lost his only chance!

Man, there are a lot of dog haters on this form.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are a lot of Thai dogs running loose. There are many reasons why driving in Thailand is so dangerous: one is the dog problem. In my small circle of friends and relatives, I know three who have had accidents because of strays. My step-daughter was brought off her motor bike & knocked unconscious in this way. I wonder how many possible fatalities are down to dogs?

Other than working dogs, I would ban the lot. They are barking nuisances; disease carrying; muck-spreading vermin.

I agree with mike bell...

Why do dog owners think every body is a dog lover...needless to say I am not a dog lover.

I might be tempted at some stage to keep a dog to protect my property if we ever had any problems in the area.

However, it would be a guard dog, not aggressive but barking at possible intruders, living outside all the time, not a pet to be carried around (like you see some people do).

If we had visitors, especially children, it would be locked in a pen.

i gave them the finger and kept on walkin'

thanking my lucky stars i picked up that stick.

yeah, lots of soi dogs are passive, drained by the heat.

don't think there ain't some that would tear you to shreds.

Man that blows, I had a similar experience outside a 7-11, a lady with an aggressive dog on a leash permitted it to attack me. I defended myself with several kicks to its head when it lunged. Strangely enough the lady yelled at me to stop and didn't restrain her dog.

The dog after the next blow didn't want to come back for more. I returned to my friends apartment only to find it's the same dog that had bitten him.

He said the owner told him. Oh you won't have rabies the dog bites plenty of people. I am told the dog is still around now muzzled.

Useless people

Edited by jcisco

You do not like soi dogs but when YOURS acts like one, you get upset if others treat it like a soi dog.

My 4 junkyard dogs stay inside the fence and no new dog can come in without being chewed badly or worse. Intruders deserve anything they get.

dogs do not know borders as such so if you leave your gate open and someone walks in is it ok to chew them to pieces in your eyes obviously...

go round to your neighbors and introduce them to your dog, show them it is a calm and friendly animal. explain you try to keep it under control all the time but if he'she escapes ask them to bring it home.

Hmm ... See #6

It was just an accident and these things happen. Use an intermediary and apologize and explain. Keep the peace at home Brother smile.png

'Keep the peace at home Brother'... or... or what will happen do you imagine?

• 5 months later...

Re read this post, and it's amazing what people read into things. Anyway, my dogs haven't been loose in the neighborhood since this happened, despite the assumption it was an everyday occurrence. I have also had little interaction with this neighbor, if I've seen him once since the incident.

I am really glad I am not some of you.

You allowed dog to potentially attack your neighbors on there property and find them being upset to be abnormal? In the US even a human would have been shot. That they only yelled seems to be rather restrained to me.biggrin.pngwai2.gif

dog_attack.jpg

Shoot the neighbours not the dog, I say. In the US they probably would have shot both.

Labs are bred to be killers. Of birds. My neighbor has a lab that is absolutely a sweetheart with people. I really like the dog. But one day it got in with another neighbor's chickens and killed almost all of them in a matter of moments. The owner of the chickens said the dog ran around just quickly biting each chicken and releasing to bite another. It was doing what it was bred to do.

Fortunately the chickens weren't pets and the dog owner was able to quickly pay for them and offer to bury them.

I would trust no bird dog such as a lab or golden retriever or any other around birds of any kind even if I trusted it with my kids which I doubt unless it was my dog and I knew the dog well.

Maybe the Thai neighbor overreacted but hey, it's his home, not the dog's.

Labs are bred for retrieving game, not killing it, the killing is done by the shooter. Sometimes 'townies' don't have a clue about field spirts.

Bird dogs have soft mouths and can carry a live bird without harming it. Basically, with one or two exceptions, there are no bad dogs only bad owners.

'there are no bad dogs only bad owners'.

Except most dogs here dont have owners, are rabid and like to chase walkers,cyclists,bikers especially when the dogs outnumber the humans.

Cull the soi dogs and soon. Numbers are growing

Most Thai will see a large dog as a threat - often for very good reason. Rabies series is not a pleasant experience.

Rabies shots are no different to any other shots. There is nothing unpleasant about it

Those of us of older years have vivid memories of the several dozen shots in the stomach required - this has been reduced to a handful in normal locations now but it is still not a pleasant experience for anyone. I imagine most Thai can also recall this ordeal - as virtually all dogs here used to be reported as rabid and required those bitten to obtain shots.

Fortunately, the days of getting a series of dozens of rabies shots straight into the stomach are long gone, but there's still no magic pill. If you have not had rabies shots before, you will get a series of five injections over the course of four weeks, typically in the arm (or for children, in the thigh). It takes seven to 10 days to produce an immune reaction, and immunity lasts about two years. If you've had any rabies shots in the past, you may receive only two injections.
You may also receive a single shot of rabies immune globulin that will give you immediate antibodies to fight the infection because once the rabies virus enters the nerves and starts to travel towards the brain, the immune system isn't able to fight it. This shot will be given near the bite mark. If you've been vaccinated for rabies before, you may not need the immune globulin shot but should still get a series of two vaccine injections.

http://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/diseases-and-conditions-15/misc-diseases-and-conditions-news-203/rabies-648405.html

If the Thai people in our moo baan are anything to go by, they are terrible at looking after their dogs. I regularly see dogs wandering around the streets and one dug our flowers up. I've no reason to believe our neighbours are wildly different to Thais in other areas so I reckon the OP's neighbour seriously overreacted. If Thai people are such sensitive flowers who are scared every dog they see will give them rabies, why are they so hopeless and irresponsible when it comes to their own pets?

Edited by eaglesflight

If the Thai people in our moo baan are anything to go by, they are terrible at looking after their dogs. I regularly see dogs wandering around the streets and one dug our flowers up. I've no reason to believe our neighbours are wildly different to Thais in other areas so I reckon the OP's neighbour seriously overreacted. If Thai people are such sensitive flowers who are scared every dog they see will give them rabies, why are they so hopeless and irresponsible when it comes to their own pets?

Right, all Thais are like the Thais in your moo Bann. ALL of them. Or they are all like the OP's neighbor. Or they are all different. Hard to reasonably make the generalizations you make in your question.

Right, all Thais are like the Thais in your moo Bann. ALL of them. Or they are all like the OP's neighbor. Or they are all different. Hard to reasonably make the generalizations you make in your question.

Hence the word 'if' at the beginning of my post. However, I have obviously roamed a lot further than my own moo baan during my 12 years in Thailand and keeping dogs off the streets does not seem to be something at which the natives excel, from my personal observations. I mentioned my moo baan in particular because it is where I can most closely observe the behaviour of supposedly well-to-do locals. If you know of any areas where the locals always keep their dogs under control and never let them wander into the street, please let me know so I can go and see for myself.

I find it difficult to believe that the 4 or 5 places I have made my home during my time in Thailand just happened to be the 4 or 5 places where Thai people were unable to control their dogs. Despite your dislike of generalisations, it doesn't seem very likely does it?

Edited by eaglesflight

Hence the word 'if' at the beginning of my post. However, I have obviously roamed a lot further than my own moo baan during my 12 years in Thailand and keeping dogs off the streets does not seem to be something at which the natives excel, from my personal observations. I mentioned my moo baan in particular because it is where I can most closely observe the behaviour of supposedly well-to-do locals. If you know of any areas where the locals always keep their dogs under control and never let them wander into the street, please let me know so I can go and see for myself.

I find it difficult to believe that the 4 or 5 places I have made my home during my time in Thailand just happened to be the 4 or 5 places where Thai people were unable to control their dogs. Despite your dislike of generalisations, it doesn't seem very likely does it?

I much prefer to live with Thais and their dogs than with dissatisfied foreigners,

I haven't met a dog owner yet who didn't say, "He's really friendly, he never bites, he is only playing."

In addition, Thais are trained from an early age to scare animals with loud noises. You may be confusing the shouting of a Westerner which is connected with loss of temper with Thais shouting simply to scare an animal.

My dog is not friendly. He bites. He is not playing. If you see him run. wai2.gif Now you can say that you have met one.

I much prefer to live with Thais and their dogs than with dissatisfied foreigners,

If you're an example of a satisfied foreigner, I'm happy as I am thanks. Your comment has absolutely nothing to do with my post, so I can only assume you are well aware of how most Thai people 'take care' of their dogs and have resorted to childish and irrelevant comments in preference to trying to defend your indefensible position in this debate.

Edited by eaglesflight

Unworthy of debate. After 12 years in Thailand you are unaware of places where people take care of their dogs and generally keep them off the streets. Unaware.

In spite of your inabbility to grasp it, my comment does have to do with your post.

Every place I have lived in Thailand, dogs were not kept on their owner's land. Every neighbourhood I have ever visited has been the same so yes, I am unaware of any Thai neighbourhood where this is not the case. You still haven't named a single neighbourhood where this is not the case, so I would agree that you are not a worthy person with whom to debate this topic.

Telling me you would rather live with Thais and their dogs than dissatisfied foreigners has no bearing on this debate . Also you make silly assumptions about other's state of satisfaction or otherwise. The fact that my neighbours are irresponsible dog owners does not cause me any great dissatisfaction in my life here. I am happy for you that you enjoy your life with Thais and their dogs - you have obviously found your rightful place in society.

Edited by eaglesflight

Nice one.

You allowed dog to potentially attack your neighbors on there property and find them being upset to be abnormal? In the US even a human would have been shot. That they only yelled seems to be rather restrained to me.biggrin.pngwai2.gif

dog_attack.jpg

Are you serious? If so, please take a handful of valium...