Im playing dota 2 please help

Lilouxd

guysssss please help me im playing DOTA2 and my internet here are sucks, im just thinking that if i buy a broadband this thing will help me am i right? whould you help me what to buy a fast broadband for gaming!? please guys help

If you are trying to game against opponents/players in other countries, you're not gonna find the International Internet Gateway throughput you're looking for -- unless you are willing to spend BIG money on a business account.

What ISP, type and speed are you currently using?

Broadband will most likely NOT improve your gameplay because it's dependent on ping/latency, not bandwidth. Your best bet would be to find a game server closer to home to play on like Thailand or Singapore. I play an online game on Australian servers and I get a ping of about 140ms using TRUE adsl.

If you are using TOT internet then your pings will be higher due to their woeful international routing. Switch to true or 3bb for better experience.

Regarding whether a new connection would help you. It might, it depends on what you're currently using, as although DOTA doesn't use much data, if you're currently playing on a 56k modem, or 256k ADSL connection, you might have some problems due to your connection speed, although even at 256k it's unlikely. Likewise, if you were playing via a service which uses wireless data transmission, you may be losing some data due to packet loss, which means information has to be resent, and thus slows down your connection. However, provided you already have a decently fast connection, chances are increasing your connection "speed" will make little/no difference to your ms/latency/ping.

I put "speed" in brackets there, as "speed" is often a misleading term in regards to internet connection "speeds", as technically it's not the speed which is being measured, well it is, but it isn't. As the speed actually refers to the data transfer capacity per second, as opposed to how quickly that data travels.

Think about a passenger jet flying to/from London to Bangkok, if only 10 people are going, those 10 people won't get there any faster, regardless of whether they take a plane with 10 seats, or a plane with 250 seats, because the planes travel at the same speed. However, if 200 people wanted to go, then it'd take them significantly longer to get to Bangkok on the plane with 10 seats, since they'd have to take 20 separate planes (and they can't all takeoff at the same time), whereas a 250 seat plane could take them all in a single flight so would be "faster", because it has a higher capacity, not because it is actually "faster". I don't think DOTA isn't a hugely data intensive game, and so you could think of it as a relatively small group of passengers (Although angry passengers who are all in a hurry lol, since having a high ms can get you killed).

Instead, your latency/ping/ms will be dependent on how the servers which data has to pass through before it reaches the server you're connecting to. So think of it as about whether the plane needs to make a stopover before it gets to it's final destination, and how long it has to stop at each stopover for (Different servers that it "hops" to/from relay data at different speeds).

So, if for example you are in Chiang Mai, your data probably has to goto Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Vietnam -> Japan -> LA in order to connect with a US West server. If you were in Bangkok already, you'd have one less hop, if you were out in the countryside of Chiang Mai, you'd probably have one additional hop.

Sometimes, when connecting to a game server, the internet will try to connect to it via a stupid path e.g. If the server was in Australia, it might go from Bangkok ->Vietnam -> Japan -> LA -> Sydney, which wouldn't be practical when they could instead just go from Bangkok -> Singapore -> Sydney. But of course, there are occasionally problems with the internet, like in late December there was a problem with an undersea cable near Singapore or Vietnam, I forget which, but if there was a problem in Singapore, that'd be the equvialent of having a 6h stopover in Singapore. As a result, it then might be faster for your "hops" to go via Japan/LA instead of via Singapore.

There are therefore some programs which optimize your connections to servers, often referred to as "tunnels". There's one which I downloaded, but am admittedly not currently using, called WTFast. This was reccommended to me by some guys in Malaysia, but as it turned out, my connection was already optimized so I didn't need it. How these work, is there is a company, who optimize a path to/from the various different gaming servers which they support, and they try to ensure the most efficient path (Usually you connect to their server, and then they direct your connection from there). WTFast seemed the best for Thailand of the 3-4 tunnel services I looked at, but I was looking with the perspective of playing wow, not DOTA, so there might be better ones for you, I'm not sure.