Local leader caught red handed receiving bribes

Thaivisa News

Nan: – Anti-graft busters have arrested and charged a local government leader for receiving Bt29, 400 kickbacks in exchange for the approval to disburse the money for a work contract.

Dechawut Senya, 34, chairman of Tambon Namtok Administrative Organisation, denied the charge, arguing he received a gift not meant for a return benefit.

In his complaint, contractor Withaya Temduang said Dechawut had sought and received bribes.

Withaya said he was the winning bidder for the construction of a local road in Tambon Namtok, Na Noi district.

Before awarding the contract, Dechawut demanded the kickbacks worth 5 per cent of the construction cost, he said.

He said he agreed to pay Dechawut because he wanted to avoid any delay in getting paid for the work.

The bribes would be paid in two instalments, one for Bt15, 000 paid after advance payment for work and another for Bt29, 400 paid before getting the final payment.

Due to time constraints in organising the sting operation, anti-graft busters suggested for the contractor to pay the first-instalment of kickbacks in order to prevent Dechawut from suspecting any attempt to catch him in the act.

Before the second instalment payment, the contractor had finalised the formal complaint and the authorities had marked and recorded the banknotes as evidence.

Police rushed into the Dechawut’s office while Withaya was paying him. The banknotes in Dechawut’s wallet matched the serial numbers recorded as evidence.

Police took custody of Dechawut although he said the money was gratuitous gift. He refused to answer any question and would claim his right to testify in court.

Any chairman of any Tambon's Administrative Organisation should refuse all gifts until they are first openly declared and cleared by an independent ethics committee.

Right... Not even in America.

• Like 1

Lets not get to carried away with progress , as soon as the place sorts itself out and we have un appointed Senators and Prime Ministers , in thirty years time corruption and pinning the tail on the donkey will still make the headlines every now and then.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I love it.

More of that, please, dear government.

The turning point against corruption and kickbacks is not far away.

Yes.

More of this.

In an effort to instill confidence in the Thai populace,

Let's start with investigating the head of the "government", the Chief of Police, (hand-picked by the head of the "government")

And the head of the Army.

Then, there may be turning point.

Being impartial and all, would you not agree?

• Like 1

anyone else find this story quite funny - can you just see the guys face as they burst in the door

That's not my wallet it's his -

Or - diving out the window as he tries to empty his wallet leaving a trail of 1k notes

Or - it's my birthday

Hilarious but unfortunately the Anti Graft Buster Squad would need to have more manpower than the Police Army Navy and Airforce put together to have any real impact on Graft in Thailand - stiff penalties for those caught and convicted would be a start and the addition of a fast track special court system that only deals with Graft cases

• Like 1

I love it.

More of that, please, dear government.

Finally I learned why you left Greece

• Like 1

Whooo Hoo! 29K. What about the thousands of millionaires created by rampant corruption over the past 10 or 20 years!

29,400 Baht, if i read correctly, wonder what the 400 Baht was for, a gift to the temple,''forgive me my corruption''

Whooo Hoo! 29K. What about the thousands of millionaires created by rampant corruption over the past 10 or 20 years!

29,400 Baht, if i read correctly, wonder what the 400 Baht was for, a gift to the temple,''forgive me my corruption''

No soalbundy! Your corruption is far more serious. If you really want to be forgiven of sin... then we need you to agree to pay three million baht to have your name written in roof tiles on the roof of our Wat. ;)