Tropical clothing? Seersucker/linen fabrics?

Cheesekraft

Where can these be bought ? It is starting to get hot, and I would like to look a tad classier than wife beater singha shirt+flip flops. These fabrics do particularly well for hot tropical environments, but I am not sure where to pick them up. Thanks!

In CM folks? Many fabric shops down near Waroros Market and some specialize in natural fibers, like hemp, cotton, linen, silk, wool, etc. These nat fibers so good job wicking away the wet, but some get wrinkly too. One shop sells many bolts of shirt cotton from various lands eg, Japan, India, Hong Kong. Look around, find the fabric you want, get 2.5 running yards, and then find tailor and if needed, a shirt to copy for good size. May pay 100 baht per yard for cloth, or much more.

Oh yeah, for the best sun protection, think long sleeves and surely a wide brim hat. It ain't Glasgow here.

Cotton cheesecloth - Seersucker ???

what is it ?

I know I hate polyester as it does not wick the sweat away from you

I normally just wear loose fitting button down cotton shirts as the breath a little.......

What is it ? >>>> Look here.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Cotton cheesecloth - Seersucker ???

what is it ?

I know I hate polyester as it does not wick the sweat away from you

I normally just wear loose fitting button down cotton shirts as the breath a little.......

Indian cloth seller will know

I find Rayon an excellent fabric and long fibre cotton (does not wrinkle). mercerised cotton is also really nice. Cotton can also be quite uncomfortable as it varies a lot in feel. I have tried hemp, bamboo and linen but they were all too hot for me. The linen was comfortable but looks shabby quickly. So now stick with Rayon, Rayon/cotton blend and mercerised (Egyptian - made in India eg Lliberty) cotton. The Indian traders really know their fabrics.

I find Rayon an excellent fabric and long fibre cotton (does not wrinkle). mercerised cotton is also really nice. Cotton can also be quite uncomfortable as it varies a lot in feel. I have tried hemp, bamboo and linen but they were all too hot for me. The linen was comfortable but looks shabby quickly. So now stick with Rayon, Rayon/cotton blend and mercerised (Egyptian - made in India eg Lliberty) cotton. The Indian traders really know their fabrics.

linen has a peculiar look but it can be acceptable, I would like some linen shorts and a white shirt in linen, although they kind of look like they need to be ironed all the time, its super comfortable and breathes like nothing else. Seersucker seems to be unavailable here; Rayon I dn't know much about but it sounds good, are there any brands/clothing that sell rayon clothes here? For the others talking about tailors, would t hey be able to fashion something up reasonably well for cheap?

I second the OP. Does anyone know where one can purchase a Seersucker suit in Bangkok?

I understand there is a gay tailor shop in Soi 11

And it has your recommendation ?

saw Uniqlo had a very nice light, long sleeve linen shirt, just what I was looking for (1290). They had some 800 baht short sleeve linen shirts as well, but unfortunately no shorts of this especially cool fabric.post-153497-0-64385900-1425699936_thumb.

Edited by Cheesekraft

I have bought pure linen, and a linen with some polyester in it at Seacom ,and had it made into trousers at the tailors i go to in Sukhumvit Rd. Works out about a 1000 thb for a pair of linen trousers.

linen has a peculiar look but it can be acceptable, I would like some linen shorts and a white shirt in linen, although they kind of look like they need to be ironed all the time, its super comfortable and breathes like nothing else. Seersucker seems to be unavailable here; Rayon I dn't know much about but it sounds good, are there any brands/clothing that sell rayon clothes here? For the others talking about tailors, would t hey be able to fashion something up reasonably well for cheap?

Rayon is a remarkable fabric. Very hard wearing and feels cool and soft like silk. It is extracted from the cellulose of trees and then processed to make yarn. Typically I have seen it mostly worn in Hawaii where it is commonly made into floral shirts for men. It handles tropical heat and humidity well. Washes easily and dries fast. It is virtually crease free if you hang it out straight after washing. However, it is not so easy to get so you need to buy the fabric and get it made up. It is also not particularly cheap but has a very long life. I have had a shirt I wear regularly for over ten years and it has way outlasted some pretty expensive designer cotton shirts.

Heretofore, i have summarily rejected the various synthetic fabrics, if you can remember the polyester double-knit pants and suits of 1976 you will know why. But lately i have been surprised by the utility of the imitation nature made by the chemists. I have seen many nice Rayon shirts at the 2nd hand shops so maybe i will buy a few and test them out this summer.

• 3 months later...

What/where is uniqlo?

What...

Uniqlo Co., Ltd. (株式会社ユニクロKabushiki-gaisha yunikuro ? ) (pronounced "YOU-nee-klo" in English) is a Japanese casual wear designer, manufacturer and retailer. The company has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Fast Retailing Co., Ltd. since November 2005.

Where...

Inside most major shopping malls, paragon, central plaza, central world, etc.

http://www.uniqlo.com/th/

uniqlo is a great shop for clothes, the best I have ever found actually. Great clothes and they are cheap, they have shops in all of the big malls here except KSK

Does that include Maya?

I believe there is a Uniqlo in Maya.

uniqlo is a great shop for clothes, the best I have ever found actually. Great clothes and they are cheap, they have shops in all of the big malls here except KSK

Does that include Maya?

I believe there is a Uniqlo in Maya.

Thanks, I'll look for it next time I'm there.

I find Rayon an excellent fabric and long fibre cotton (does not wrinkle). mercerised cotton is also really nice. Cotton can also be quite uncomfortable as it varies a lot in feel. I have tried hemp, bamboo and linen but they were all too hot for me. The linen was comfortable but looks shabby quickly.

Well, it looks a bit more relaxed/casual than a pressed dress shirt, but for your typical Chiang Mai day-to-day your fashion competition comes from Chang wife beaters.. A linen shirt looks a lot better than those. ;)

(I just bought one a couple days ago to see if I like it.. $15, good deal.)

It's a personal choice...

This link will give you better, up to date information.

Old hat logic is that cotton is better. Actually..it retains water...and does not really wick moisture. That is why, you will look all crumpled up, with large circles of soaking sweat (that never disappears)...if you stick too strictly cotton. Cottton also retains your odors (by retaining moisture) and ...basically..you will smell just awful. You will feel cooler..for a short time...and then you are soaked in sweat.

Wool makes you feel warmer....but does wick away sweat. However..a very light weight wool will wick away moisture...as well as body heat.

Pure polyester DOES wick away sweat..(wicking means transporting your sweat to the surface of the material, where it then dries out). Cotton absorbs sweat..and it stays there....even though you feel initially cooler... You will look, and feel, like a wet rag.

Sporting industries go with a blend of cotton and polyester....for the above reason...combining the advantages of breathable cotton and

wicking polyester.

Actually...modern textiles wick and provide cooling more by the new method of "weaving" the material...scientifically. This allows your

wetness to reach the surface of the material much better.

Read here.... http://www.styleforum.net/t/40143/polyester-breathability-vs-wicking

poleyster and other synthetics are used in hiking because of both their superior wicking and their ability to dry quickly. Cotton takes forever to dry. It may breathe better, but if you're going to sweat you're better off with the wicking/drying action of a synthetic fabric. I think the weave of synthetics used for hiking is specially designed to make it breathe better also. You may also be able find shirts that meet your needs made from Merino wool, I know I've seen hiking t-shirts made from them, I'd guess there are button shirts as well.

Here is another link............. http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/men/sweating-odor/clothing-materials-reduce-sweating.htm

"Many wicking fabrics are made from polyester blends, and we already know that synthetic materials don't retain moisture like natural fabrics do. Polyester holds on to only about 0.4 percent of moisture; cotton just 7 percent. Unlike regular polyester, though, wicking fabrics are woven in such a way that the moisture is forced into and through the gaps in the weave so it can find the outer shell of the material. The weave itself makes the material highly permeable. Many of these materials are also chemically treated so that moisture won't soak into it. For purists, there are also non-treated versions of these fabrics."

Edited by slipperylobster