Paying sterling cheques into a Thai bank

I'm sure this has subject has already been covered previously, but any up-to-date information would be appreciated.

I have just received thirty two sterling dividend cheques which have been re-issued by the company's registrars in the UK in respect to my UK shareholding. A shareholding which I had completely forgotten about from 1997.

My question is, would Krungsri or Kasikorn bank accept these sterling cheques for clearance and if so what are their fees? Time to clear is not important or,

open an offshore bank in sterling in either Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have cashed many foreign currency cheques at SCB, Krung Thai, and UOB banks. I'm given the tt rate on the date of deposit and the wait to clear times have been anywhere from 14-21 days.

There is no problem cashing those cheques in Thailand. I've never been charged a fee for cashing cheques either.

Take your cheques to your branch and speak with your manager.

Hello Viewers!

I put a sterling cheque into my Kasicorn account a while back.The nice lady ( rather pleasing to the eye may i add..) quoted me up to 40 days to clear and the charge was around 150 baht.She did have to make rather a lot of photocopies.It ended up clearing about 21 days later.( i was " overjoyed " )

F.J " in touch with reality " ....wai2.gif x

• Like 1

I too had dividend cheques in GBP and put them through my Bangkok Bank account to clear. First time the branch had done a transaction so a lot of fussing, phoning and reading of SOP manuals, endless photocopies but eventually concluded. The time to credit was given as up to 35 days and from deposit to credit it took 32 days but the UK Christmas bank closures extended the time as did Thai New Year.

• Like 1

With no idea of the value of the cheques, difficult to comment on the cost:value benefit.

Kasikorn did - and probably still do - accept GBP cheques, and for a long time, cleared them same day. Then things changed, and they required, I believe, two months to clear - which you say doesn't concern you. I recall they charged stamp duty, plus a fee - in USD, believe it or not - of $10 per cheque.

I've been depositing US-cheques in my Thai bank (SCB) - no problem, but takes up to a month to clear, normally 2-3 weeks - presume it's the same for any foreign cheques. wink.png

I used to receive my state pension as cheques, which were credited to my account at Bangkok Bank there and then. Now it is sent by SWIFT, which is a great deal more convenient.

• Like 1