What goes on Facebook, stays on Facebook, sadly ...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/florida-man-faces-up-to-five-years-in-jail-after-complaining-about-his-employers-on-facebook/story-fnjwnhzf-1227251802250

This is the part I find interesting :

Pate’s congressman, Rep. David Jolly, intervened on his constituent’s behalf, lobbying the State Department and Emirates officials for help. In a letter to the Emirati lawyer general, Jolly emphasised respect for the sovereignty of the country, but argued because the posts occurred while Pate was on American soil, those laws shouldn’t apply.

“It is deeply troubling that Mr. Pate now faces judicial proceedings over an action that was done legally in his home country,” the Republican said.

Er, no, Congressman - that's not how the net works. You're a cyber citizen from the minute you log in and (state-sponsored censorship aside) everything you type can be read by people all over the world if you decide that's how you want to proceed. He didnt just bitch to his Facebook inner circle - he publicly slammed his employer and warned other contractors against working there. One can only assume that the Police back in Abu Dhabi received a complaint from his employer and things went downhill from there - five years seems like a particularly harsh sentence to me, but I doubt that he'll avoid a conviction on the basis that the First Amendment to the US Constitution guarantees him free speech on 'US soil' : even the US has slander and libel laws and newspapers are constantly threatened with legal action by people like Tom Cruise and Donald Trump.

How many who work for the Thai government - as teachers etc - would publicly criticise them under their own names and not expect some sort of backlash ? It's one of the reason Stickman must have been mortified when he was outed by an extremely petty and vindictive little man from Nakhon Nowhere : every comment he had ever made about teaching in Thailand was on the Net 24/7 for his employers to read at their leisure. Awkward is one word for it - must have been fun rocking up to work the day after that little grenade was dropped in his lap.

FWIW, I trashed my Facebook account several years ago and havent missed it - I'm guessing Mr Pate dearly wishes he'd done the same. I have no desire to see him do time, but its a reminder that keystrokes can have consequences, particularly in a country that doesnt subscribe to notions like 'free speech'.

facebook sucks ass plain and simple... they collect your info and sell it to the highest bidder... they monitor your thoughts and actions and use it to sell you junk... why even use it?

Agreed thats why i renamed it to Faceache before i quit using it.

I log-off Facebook, do a phlishing/ privacy scan...4 results.

I log-off ThaiVisaForum, do a phlishing/privacy scan...2316 results.

I know nothing about computers.

You tell me...

• Like 1

You tell me...

Thai Visa is no saint when it comes to cookie monitoring. However, on Thai Visa you aren't required to provide your phone number nor do you store all your family and friend and contacts as well as telling everyone what you do each day, etc. Thai Visa also does not take your info and use it to recommend you hook up with this or that person sometimes many times removed through other contacts. I wouldn't be concerned with 2000 vs 4 you can bet the 4 are selling to thousands anyway.

Never been on it never will,controlled by the United states,NSA,delivering freedom and democracy,around the world folks,and if you don't agree?

'launch that drone private'

'Sir,yes,sir'.

using a computer means you WILL BE controlled if they want to... using a credit card means you can be monitored... using a mobile phone means you can be monitored... booking a flight, hotel, car means you can be monitored... that IS our technology society.

Edit to add... do you have a newer car with built-in navigation system? This system is in constant contact with the car manufacturer...exchanging data about how you drive, where you drive... of course all the date is fully anonymized and only used to ensure your safetey... cheesy.gif

Edited by Swiss1960

but actually, the Emirates is not the only country that does enforce it's laws to actions of people worldwide... Thailand does it with the lese majeste law...

and the worst of all is the US of A... THEIR laws apply worldwide... and they have no problem kidnapping people and killing people worldwide if the feel to do so...

• Like 1

You tell me...

Thai Visa is no saint when it comes to cookie monitoring. However, on Thai Visa you aren't required to provide your phone number nor do you store all your family and friend and contacts as well as telling everyone what you do each day, etc. Thai Visa also does not take your info and use it to recommend you hook up with this or that person sometimes many times removed through other contacts. I wouldn't be concerned with 2000 vs 4 you can bet the 4 are selling to thousands anyway.

I'm using your phone number buddy...hope you don't mind! B)