Getting a Scooter For a Week in Chiang Mai?

TravelTeach

Hi guys,

Kind of a two part thing here: problem and question.

I want to rent a scooter for a week in CM for a long trip. But on that trip I'll need my passport for hotels. So is there a way to not leave my passport with the company? Anybody know a company that would agree to just a copy?

Second thing is the trip itself. Gonna take the 1095 to the 108 then back to CM. Maybe take 5 days? Any thoughts on this? Any particular things any of you have seen on the way? The national parks look amazing.

I have rented from the guy directly across from Kad Suan Kaw in the computer cafe... He is friendly and if you leave a 3,000 baht deposit you can keep your passport...

Btw... I wrecked one of his brand new Honda Click!.. Scratched it all up and a wonky mirror... He only charged me an extra 600 baht!... $20 bucks US!

Note: you will most likely be stopped and searched at a few military/police checkpoints... Mainly they are looking for drugs that are smuggled from the North

Edited by sfokevin

OP, you didn't ask, but have you ever ridden a bike for 5 days straight in the wind and heat? Not only is the physical part tiring, but there's a lot of continual mental activity.

I'd allow extra time in case I needed to lay up and take a break for a day or so. I've ridden bikes all my life and I wouldn't enjoy that ride especially on a scooter unless time wasn't a factor.

Definitely don't give them your passport. It's not a requirement. Also, make sure you've got proper insurance. Many accidents happen on that loop. Take it easy and drive slow. It's a beautiful ride. If you get stopped, you'll probably have to hand over some money. Normally 200B or so. I'd keep that amount in a separate pocket ready to hand out. Keep it with your license.

Does your home country driver's license have an endorsement for riding bikes?