Prayut warns monks against protest march

Lite Beer

"Conflicts among monks are monks' own affairs. The government will step in only to do laymen's work," added Prayut, who also heads the National Council for Peace and Order.

Bringing down this abbot and his fellow monks whom Thaksin Shinawatra supported during his time as PM is priority number 1.

The daily conflicts, murders, bombs, beheadings, vandalism, arson, threats to children, schools, teachers, hypertension of the people living in the deep south of Thailand is priority number two.

Great governance.

While I don't doubt that some of these monks buns are twitching because of the search light being firmly focused on them, I can't help but feel disturbed at their right not to protest. It is especially hypocritical when Buddha Isara himself had protests yet nothing happened to him.

I wonder why.....

Edited by lildragon
  • Like 1

The quickest way to lose power is to take on the monks. If you threaten them and they still protest and they are not locked up - you lose face, if they protest and you act against then you lose face. The inexperienced junta leader have put his foot in it again.

....these men in their saffron robes are not monks...they are simply tourist attractions....

That's a remarkably uninformed statement. Most temples in the country never see tourists

• Like 2

If other monks than watthammagaay would be protesting, I would support it.

But Watthammagaay is one of the most controversial and rich Buddhist organisations in Thailand and a cleanup would be more than welcome.

I do however support the right on freedom of speech and I think they should have the right to protest (I am against the martial law),

just like the government should have the right to cleanup corrupt organisations.

The monks threatening to protest were from the monastic universities, not from Wat Dhammakaya. In fact, Wat Dhammakaya forbade any of their members, both monks and laiety, even commenting on the issue.

The threatened protest was to be a show of support for the SSC and acting Supreme Patriarch, who is universally respected among the Sangha (except for 'activist' Buddha Issara).

Why the sudden backdown on the part of the 'Government'?

Probably the simplest explanation is the most likely.

The PM has shown his superstitious side several times; in the ritual cleansing of Government house, and his claim of being attacked by black magic. He just does not want to jinx himself at this juncture.

That's my best guess.

So when the Mad Monk held a demonstration and protested in blatant breach of martial law, nothing was said and all was ok. The Mad Monk along with suthep helped Prayuth gain ultimate power and are close friends. The other side of the coin wants to do the same and it is sooooooo bad and they are threatened. This definately is not reconciliation but an ultimate display of supreme power and control. Talk about hypocicy, law only applies to some in Thailand.

Phra Buddha Issara is calling for a radical overhaul of Thai Buddhism, fearing millions of dollars in temple donations and a rapidly modernizing nation are corrupting monks.

" Needs .... better oversight of temple finances and to shake up the fossilized structure of Thai Buddhism."

" Buddhism in Thailand is a poisoned fruit. The highest level of the Buddhist religion has turned out to be the devious one," he told Reuters in an interview.

"He wants the government to check the accounts of all temples and seize assets from those suspected of mishandling donations. He is also calling for the state to restructure the Sangha."

Most TV members' comments seem to agree that Thai Buddhism is not up to acceptable standard. IMO Phra Buddha Issara is doing the right thing.

The point is that he broke martial law by doing it, and there is a selective applying of the law.

These monks wanting to defend themselves or some students protesting for an election = threats of arrests (or actual arrest in the students case) and attitude adjustment.

Buddha Issara leading protests or people protesting outside of the US embassy because they dared speak bad about the junta = no action.

It's the immense double standards people aren't happy with.

"The people " don't seem upset about either of the events you mention.

The ban is on political gathering.

Edited by draftvader
Removal of formatting

So when the Mad Monk held a demonstration and protested in blatant breach of martial law, nothing was said and all was ok. The Mad Monk along with suthep helped Prayuth gain ultimate power and are close friends. The other side of the coin wants to do the same and it is sooooooo bad and they are threatened. This definately is not reconciliation but an ultimate display of supreme power and control. Talk about hypocicy, law only applies to some in Thailand.

Phra Buddha Issara is calling for a radical overhaul of Thai Buddhism, fearing millions of dollars in temple donations and a rapidly modernizing nation are corrupting monks.

" Needs .... better oversight of temple finances and to shake up the fossilized structure of Thai Buddhism."

" Buddhism in Thailand is a poisoned fruit. The highest level of the Buddhist religion has turned out to be the devious one," he told Reuters in an interview.

"He wants the government to check the accounts of all temples and seize assets from those suspected of mishandling donations. He is also calling for the state to restructure the Sangha."

Most TV members' comments seem to agree that Thai Buddhism is not up to acceptable standard. IMO Phra Buddha Issara is doing the right thing.

The point is that he broke martial law by doing it, and there is a selective applying of the law.

These monks wanting to defend themselves or some students protesting for an election = threats of arrests (or actual arrest in the students case) and attitude adjustment.

Buddha Issara leading protests or people protesting outside of the US embassy because they dared speak bad about the junta = no action.

It's the immense double standards people aren't happy with.

"The people " don't seem upset about either of the events you mention.

The ban is on political gathering.

Protesting outside of an embassy isn't political then?

Edit - And why is it ok for Issara to protest having an investigation into the monks but it is NOT ok for the monks to protest to defend themselves? (surely then it is also 'non' political)

Please defend these double standards.

Edited by draftvader
Removal of formatting
  • Like 1

The mad monk Issara has a twitter account and is a keen follower of the yellow shirts. The abbot at the UFO temple was Thaksin Thai Rank Thai affiliated during his premiership. The reds hate the yellows and the yellows hate the reds. This divide in the nation will never be solved by the current PM Prayut until he stops his crusade against Thaksin. Reform has been one sided, a true patriot loves all his countrymen.

• Like 1

If other monks than watthammagaay would be protesting, I would support it.

But Watthammagaay is one of the most controversial and rich Buddhist organisations in Thailand and a cleanup would be more than welcome.

I do however support the right on freedom of speech and I think they should have the right to protest (I am against the martial law),

just like the government should have the right to cleanup corrupt organisations.

Agreed - I still find the cost of over $1 billion for a temple outrageous.

• Like 1

Pra Suthep has lost some weight, and the bad shoulder he got from stretching his arm to take the bank notes that people donated must be almost healed by now so maybe he's up for some more street marching biggrin.png

yes nice to see Taksins mob and red shirts gutting a dose of their own medicine and in a war which is is/was against megalomaniac would be dictator Taksin in my book anything is justified

Is he going to warn the whole world ?

Cannot stand all his BS anymore.

feel free to leave I my thai wife her family and many thais we know fully support his actions words and clampdown and my wives family are very very poor. hiso we know are wives of politicians of the Taksin government and they drive around in their BMW's Mercs have lots of houses and are ones totally opposed to the now PM. ?? wonder why that is but they still have their immense wealth and wives even boast how much their husbands screw out of system literally hundreds of millions of baht each.

• Like 1

There seems to be a conflict between different branches of Thai Buddhism at the moment, each slandering the other. I say let's introduce a pay per view grudge match. Each can either try to out chant the other or go head-to-head beating each other with their fashionable handbags..............LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

The mad monk Issara has a twitter account and is a keen follower of the yellow shirts. The abbot at the UFO temple was Thaksin Thai Rank Thai affiliated during his premiership. The reds hate the yellows and the yellows hate the reds. This divide in the nation will never be solved by the current PM Prayut until he stops his crusade against Thaksin. Reform has been one sided, a true patriot loves all his countrymen.

I bow to your reverence except for one thing -

can you please take the time to explain to me (and probably everyone else thab) what a yellow shirt is ?

I remember the term years ago but I'm not sure what it means today or how anyone can identify with it

I remember when there were factions in Thailand like reds (which supposedly still exist) and yellows which no longer exist - just the rest of the Thai people that have become wise and disassociated themselves from red anything or yellow anything - just Thai people

please explain what a yellow is

as far as I can understand in Thailand right now - we have the redshirt terrorist movement sponsored by the Thasksin criminal on the run and the rest of the Thai people that are basically the victims of said red terrorists

On a side note - creating factions is exactly what creates division, I think a fair amount (majority) of Thai people have realised this and moved on

Edited by smedly

Why aren't the anti money laundering organisation going after the 2.5 billion baht given to Bluesky channel a pro democat party channel?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/AMLO-to-seize-Bt4-billion-in-assets-from-former-co-30253946.html

seeing as you seem to be aware along with everyone else on the planet (I have not read the link) it is hardly money laundering is it - money laundering is usually a well kept secret