Sending/Bringing prescription drugs to Thailand

phinick

I haven't been able to find anything definitive about this, so thought maybe one of you might have the info.

In a few weeks I'll be retiring to Thailand, and I'm concerned about my prescription meds. I understand that upon arrival, a 30 day supply is allowed. All of my medications are in packages of a 90 day supply (and there are many of them). These are for treatment of diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, so none are narcotic.

Additionally, I have my prescriptions mailed to me in the U.S, and I planned to change my address to my brother's address, and have him forward them to me by mail.

Since I am on medicare, the drugs are paid for, and I am trying not to have to buy them in Thailand (there are about 14 different ones).

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'd appreciate any info.

Seems as if it would be illegal from point of issue regardless of Thai laws (which are also a possiable problem) - Medicare does not provide such coverage outside the US AFAIK

Believe you would be better served with local doctor and medications as for these conditions expect there are reasonable priced alternatives available (even if you are now taking some that are expensive here). At least worth checking to prevent any possiable future legal issues I would think.

• Like 1

Why not take out 2/3 of the 90 day supply than it is 30 days?

Beside I doubt someone would care about cholesterol or diabetics medication.

(I mean for bringing with you. Sending is something different)

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

I too take the risk of bringing them with me from Europe.

Not for the price - I don't have a clue what the price is here, I presume more cheap here, even with European healthcare refunds.

But even in Europe there are fake medecines - so I am not going to take my chances buying medicine in The Hub of Imitations.

• Like 2

I have two glaucoma eye drop meds mailed to me here from Singapore. Six month supply purchased from company in Canada but shipped from their branch in Singapore. Meds are prescription, tiny vials each for a month. generics made in India but work very fine. Small package sent direct to my house in Phuket, I send full payment (no insurance or Medicare) to the Canada company; cost is considerably less than same generics available here in TH. No hassle re postal.

• Like 1

I once had a package of meds mailed from US intercepted by Thai Customs. When I went to Customs to claim the box, I was told to meet with a supervisor. The boss told me it was illegal to receive any foreign meds in Thailand. She explained the only exception were meds being brought into Thailand through the airport - which was to allow tourists to have their meds available while on holiday in Thailand.

My wife stays here six months out of the year. I send her meds via express mail (US). I put them into plastic bags and include a copy of the script printed from the pharmacy due to the size of the bottles. Never had any problem, maybe just lucky but have been successful over the years. As for the OP's meds usually prescription are only good for a year and have to be seen by a physician to renew!

I have 7 different medication for the csame conditions as you,I am on Medicare and drugs cost me zero for 90 day supply.my daughter picks up my 7 perscriptions at Walmart pharmacy and sends via us mail . No problem sofar.

Lefty

• Like 2

I have a letter from my GP in Australia which states my prescription drugs, and their purpose. I pack anything between 3 and 6 months supply in my hold luggage. I've never been questioned or had to produce the letter to Thai immigration/customs over the last 5 years.

Very occasionally, I have miscalculated the amount of meds required during my stay in Chiang Mai. When that happens, I simply take the empty pack to my friendly pharmacist in Ratchadamnoen road near Thapae Gate, and get the same med or a generic equivalent at a competitive price.

I don't think the Thai authorities are going to worry too much about legitimate meds, they have their hands full with yaa baa.

• Like 1

Please don't take this the wrong way- but once you are out of the rat race, retired, have a good diet and some exercise and relax, you might not need quite so many pills?

Sounds like you are keeping big Pharma alive and kicking?

• Like 1

All the Meds you are taking are cheaper here

quite right . Metformin 500gr bt5 per tablet. Ameryl 4mg generic BT4 and many others from Chinese Pharmacies in Bangkok. These two drugs are the most common used for diabetics and very

effective. Usually metformin dose is 2x 500 mg per day and 2-4 mg Ameryl. So why bother with getting from abroad./?

Cost in Thailand varies with individual meds. Diclofenac ( anti-inflammatory ) and Somac ( reflux inhibitor ) are inexpensive here. In contrast,

Micardis ( blood pressure ) is very expensive.

The other thing which distorts prices is where you get the medication. Hospital pharmacies charge like wounded bulls. Retail pharmacies are much less expensive for an identical product.

so none are narcotic.

You'll be fine. Thais can be random, but they're pragmatic about stuff like that.

No customs official is going to give you hassle about those sort of medicine. Bring the full 90 days worth, and extra if it makes your life easier.

have your doctor note and prescriptions handy.

Posting your medicine via certified mail or fedex is a good way to deliver it.

It's more likely to get stolen by postal employees, than siezed by customs. Nobody steals books though.

When I first retired to Thailand I brought a 90 day supply of medication, blood pressure and pain killers for arthritis. As they were prescription medicines, I left them in their sealed packets, labels upright and all sealed in a large plastic bag. Also, I obtained a letter from my doctor attesting to the need for the medication and then placed this upright in the plastic bag so it could be read and then put everything in the one suitcase.

I know my bag was opened as someone had cut the lock off and no doubt examined the contents but nothing was queried and I passed customs without a problem. That was two years ago. Since leaving Australia, I am not entitled to any subsidised medication so I sourced similar medication here, at an increased price but what cost is your health. Look for a well stocked drug store outside of the big shopping centres, get to know the chemist, stick with them and believe me, they will look after you. For some reason they are able to obtain medication that even the larger chains cannot. I get Micardis at 1350 baht for one month and Tylenol for 100 baht but from hospital pharmacies the Micardis cost 2300 baht.

If you do not speak Thai then take someone with you who can, it will be most beneficial. and if you stick with the one shop you'll not have any problems. The chemist I deal with gives really good service, even to the extent of ringing me three days before I need to make my monthly purchase to ensure he has stock. You will find that most chemists do speak some English but try to learn and speak some Thai and you will find the world of difference in the way you are treated.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 1

All the Meds you are taking are cheaper here

quite right . Metformin 500gr bt5 per tablet. Ameryl 4mg generic BT4 and many others from Chinese Pharmacies in Bangkok. These two drugs are the most common used for diabetics and very

effective. Usually metformin dose is 2x 500 mg per day and 2-4 mg Ameryl. So why bother with getting from abroad./?

Again it is where you shop..... my Pharmacy I have used for years closed before Christmas, asking around found another, they supply many Dr, dentist, Vets and other Pharmacies

just on the item Metformin 500gm, I used to pay 299 baht for a tub of 500, this new wholesale Pharmacy I went to last week the price is 145 baht for 500 tub of tablets..

Always buy by the tub of full unopened box all my pills, always paid between 2 - 2,300 baht per 5 months, last week needed everything bought the same, same amount, same brand, total bill 1,456 baht..

Another good thing about the wholesale Pharmacies is the pills are always new.. eg use before date on all are late 2017, of course they will all be gone by mid 2015 anyway.

As a P.S.

When I came here I brought with me 90 day supply + the Dr Prescription and a note by my Dr to cover, but that was back in 2003.

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Before you come OP it might be worth listing your meds for TV members to review. I take 2 hypertension meds and bought a 90 day supply of each when I came. One is readily available in Thailand, the other is not. I went to a clinic and the Dr said I would have to go to Burma to get it. I got a list or generics from my med insurance company, went to a hospital here and got a Dr to write a script and advise me on taking the right size mg of one of the generics. Now I can get both of those meds anywhere here. So my advise is see your Dr before you come and see if he will give you some alternatives and dosages before you come. Could come in handy if one of your packages gets held up. And bring copies of all your prescriptions as I believe it will strongly influence any Dr you visit here, who always speak and read English in my experience.

I take Atenolol 50mg and Loranta 100mg daily (the Loranta was the generic replacement for Edarbi 50mg) Just because they are non-narcotic does NOT mean you can readily get what you want here.

Stay healthy!

Oh OH!!! Don't forget Benadryl (capsules and cream) and Neosporin and Nyquil capsules and a little oracle also maybe!!! You cannot get them here and will need them I can bet. Bug/ant stings are common as are cuts and scrapes as is an occasional cold/flu. These items will save you a lot of grief.

I came in with 6 months of medical supplies, wasn't checked at the airport... 5 pils a day....180 + pills...anyway some of these pills are not available in Thailand. as far as I know.

For some reason sending when sending meds/vitamins/supplements from the U.S. via the postal system there's never any problem with Thai customs, but there always is when sending via FedEx/UPS/DHL. They seem to use different channels for clearance and the FedEx/UPS/DHL customs people will tell you how it's illegal for individuals to import meds into Thailand.

I found all the meds I was taking in the U.S. to be available here -- no problem and dirt cheap. However, vitamins and supplements are hugely expensive, so I have those sent via USPS priority mail.

While you may be getting the medication free, you would have to p[ay for the mailing and it is quite possible that for the same amount as the postage you can buy locally made equivalents. Plus there is the risk of customs confiscation because indeed it is not legal to have foreign medication mailed to you.

These types of medication do not require prescription in Thailand. Suggest you list the names of what you are on.

Bring your meds back with you in a checked bag.

Include copies of your prescriptions with the meds.

Don't bring codeine.

Don't travel with a guitar case.

I bring 3-6 months worth back almost every time I fly back here. I've never had anyone look in my bags, except when I was traveling with a guitar.

Edited by Guitar God

I assume you have medicare part D? Hate to break it to you but it is illegal for you to keep that plan if you live outside the US.

If you ever move back you can start it again after a few months.

You and your brother would be guilty of a felony if you ship those drugs to Thailand and lie about your address to the SSA.

I pay for my own insurance and I'm coveted worldwide so that doesn't apply to me but what a bullshit law, you pay into Medicare your entire life and then don't receive the benefits you paid for because you don't live in the US 12 months a year. I figure as long as I have US citizenship, with all the duties and obligations that goes along with it, that I should also get the benefits, especially the ones I've paid for.

• Like 1

I agree with you and something expats have been fighting for years.

Medicare is useless if you live outside the US but you even have to keep paying the $104/month for part B if you think you might need it one day. 10% penalty per year if you cancel it.