Mt Biking on Samui

Heading over next week for a few months with my Mt Bike.

Any tracks or good places to ride would be appreciated.

Is doing a loop on the road with slicks fun? Dangerous?

Any place people hook-up for riding?

Anything helpful advice really.

Maybe I'll see you riding there smile.png

Thanks,

JC

Going up in the hill/mountains there are a few nice viewpoint restaurants up there worth stopping at. Several paths leads up to the area, both from Maenam soi 1 and soi 5, but a bit closer from Lipa Noi. There’s a patch, beginning with good concrete road, opposite the traffic light for Niki Beach/Raja Ferry road leading up to the highest point 600-something meters with outstanding views to both Lamai and Maenam Bay with Koh Phangan way out in the back (have a photo from one of the private 600m peaks, unfortunately a bit cloudy that day).

post-122720-0-56712900-1425889369_thumb.

There are some nice viewpoint restaurants up there, so you can get refreshment and enjoy the scenery. That’s also the area with “Magic Garden” filled with Buddha figures.

There’s also a path from Nathon – starting back of town about mid down the main road – that leads some 400 meters up and down to Maenam. Took that in s mall 4WD jeep years ago, and if still exists, there is an excellent view top restaurant with a single bungalow room on it’s own mountain peak. My memory says it was called Samui Everest, but that does not fit with any map today – perhaps it has changed owner and name.

Samui Guide Map, which is free and can be picked up many places, has most of the paths drawn, but the map may not be completely accurate.

Wish you a good mountain bike experience... smile.png

• Like 2

Bringing your bike with you....where from? The general view I've read on here is that is cheaper to buy a bike here than bring one from home, depending where you live obviously, but when you said coming for holidays I imagined far away.

Opposite Lae Lay restaurant just out of Bangrak towards Bophut is a large area with lots of MTB tracks of different difficulty levels marked out. Some go through the grassy area and some through the woods. They occasionally hold competitions there and it is very well maintained.

• Like 2

Bringing your bike with you....where from? The general view I've read on here is that is cheaper to buy a bike here than bring one from homearrow-10x10.png, depending where you live obviously, but when you said coming for holidays I imagined far away.

I believe that it's cheaper to buy some S.E. Asian manufactured bikes (as many are) here then to buy one it home (depending on where one is from but let's assume the in West somewhere) and bring it here.

As for bringing one here I've shipped bikes here from Bolivia and USA to Thailand for not too much and way less then replacing especially as they were better models.

I've also flown with my bikes which can be a minimal fee or even free.

But to answer your question I'm driving down from Chiang Mai and bringing a bike I bought in BKK with me.