PM rebuked for punch remark

Lite Beer

PM rebuked for punch remark
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE prime minister was criticised yesterday for saying he felt like punching a reporter for asking him a question he disliked. Thai Journalists Association spokesman Manop Tip-Osod said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's remark during his weekly TV programme on Friday night that he "would almost punch the reporter in the face" was unbecoming given his status.

Manop said he understood that the premier was perhaps frustrated with his work, but he still should not have made the comment because it demonstrated his lack of respect for human dignity and was not helpful amid the current mood in the country.

"Thai people and society have given the premier a good amount of time [to do his job]. The premier should now look into himself as a leader," Manop said. BBC Thailand said the remark was symbolic of the intimidation of the press.

In response to the BBC comment, Manop said past Thai leaders had various styles when dealing with the media, but none had used [physical] intimidation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-rebuked-for-punch-remark-30255551.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-08

• Like 1

"felt like punching a reporter for asking him a question he disliked"

And this guy is a PM???

Yes, he is the coup leader and junta boss, GENERAL, and Prim Minister. Apparently he is also very statesmanlike as well.

• Like 2

The western press has described him as "splenetic". Had to look that up myself as English isn't my first language.

Spot on -

Splenetic

splɪˈnɛtɪk/

adjective

1. 1.

bad-tempered; spiteful.

"a splenetic rant"

synonyms:

bad-tempered, ill-tempered, ill-humoured, angry, wrathful, cross, peevish,petulant, pettish, irritable, irascible, cantankerous,

choleric, dyspeptic,testy, tetchy, snappish, waspish, crotchety, crabby, crabbed, querulous,

resentful, rancorous, bilious, sour, bitter, acid, liverish;

spiteful, malicious, ill-natured, hostile, acrimonious, malevolent, malignant,malign;

informal bitchy;

rare atrabilious, envenomed

• Like 1

The western press has described him as "splenetic". Had to look that up myself as English isn't my first language.

Methinks 'churlish' is a better word. wink.png

churlish (ˈtʃɜːlɪʃ redspeaker.gif )
Definitions
adjective
  1. rude or surly
  2. of or relating to peasants
  3. miserly
Edited by Commerce
  • Like 2

you're correct they do. Just Googled splenetic prayuth and it comes up, even has his pic. Not just one news agency either.
  • Like 1

Most of us can be proud of the defence forces of our home countries, when they go out they make a difference if the cause is right.

The armies of many developing nations are often used as little more than crowd control bullies and who is the former leader of the Army?

Prayuth is supposedly 'a man and a hardened soldier' and 'coup leader and junta boss, GENERAL, and Prime Minister'. He has worn too many hats.

Unfortunately he is not proving to be a statesman which is a pity, because IMO I think he is genuinely trying to do his best for Thailand, but he continually says the wrong things. Professional PR assistance would really make a difference.

Spot on -

Splenetic

splɪˈnɛtɪk/

adjective

1. 1.

bad-tempered; spiteful.

"a splenetic rant"

synonyms:

bad-tempered, ill-tempered, ill-humoured, angry, wrathful, cross, peevish,petulant, pettish, irritable, irascible, cantankerous,

choleric, dyspeptic,testy, tetchy, snappish, waspish, crotchety, crabby, crabbed, querulous,

resentful, rancorous, bilious, sour, bitter, acid, liverish;

spiteful, malicious, ill-natured, hostile, acrimonious, malevolent, malignant,malign;

informal bitchy;

rare atrabilious, envenomed

ill - humoured? .. But he himself declared himself a funny guy.