Time to banish plastic bags in Thailand?

cranberry

Neither plastic bags or paper bags are required.

In Canada, we now use tote bags made of cotton, hemp, heavy-gauge plastic, almost any material.

Plastic bags are still available (if you forget your tote) but there is a nominal charge for them.

One supermarket chain that I go to maintains a bin near check-out where they put the empty boxes that their products arrive in. This system works very well.

Remembering to take your tote along takes a bit of getting used to. But the benefits to the planet make it a great cause.

Even though what you are buying has been flown half way round the world eh? ITS NOT THE BAGS thats are the problem, its the people using them and how they use/discard them
The bags are the problem. Take away the bag and you take away the problem of discarding them. If I go on a regular shopping trip I can return home with maybe 20 or more bags. All of which I have no use for. The garbage truck people would rather I not tie my crap up in bags. Just put the crap in my bin they say. Easier for them to sort through to find anything of value. Some of the bags I get might be very small just big enough to hold a drink can. What use does that have for the future except to go to the land fill. While I agree with you about irresponsible bag deposal take away the bag and you take away the problem of disposing of it.

My local tesco express has a garbage bin outside the door. It is constantly overflowing with plastic bags little tiny small ones that maybe held a stick of gum. There are so many the overflow ends up being blown down the street. None of these bags were need. They got used for just a few seconds. Please don't tell me the bag is not the problem where it most certainly is.

put a billion bags in a warehouse and lock the door?? the bags arent the problem its the mis use and disposal thats the problem, in that case take away the human and the problem is gone.

And where do you think that bin full of crap ends up anyway?

Exactly take away all the bags, lock them up in a warehouse and the problem is gone. The bag is the problem. How people use them etc is still a problem but only if you allow them the bags. Even if you could train the people to use them and dispose of them better the bags are still there somewhere being environmentally unfriendly.

But no bag no problem.

What do yo want to do, dispose of the humans. Are you related to Hitler by any chance.

That biodegradable crap, potato peel, banana skin, all the stuff my dog won't eat, ends up in the landfill. Mulching down into good compost. Put the bags there and you have a different problem.

it will take yrs to happen i can remember when i was young it was a 6pack to drive some where and bottles out of window in oz

after 50yrs we have clean country now a small step at time my wife now gets angry to see people throw stuff out of car

Thank you. This is one of my favorite stories. I'm native NYC. Our family built and miantained Cabins on Lake George, NY where we spent much of our summers.

We'd always have side trips. The first time when I was still a very young boy we went to and through Canada VIA Niagra. It was late June, I was cold. I'd keep asking Dad, what's so different here. He would always answer the same, one day you'll understand. Now being unable to recall that day or my thousands of times to Canada. It eventually dawned on me. There isn't any litter. One of the countless treasures that is Canada. Clean.

In B.C. Canada. Bring your own bag, get a brown paper bio-degradable bag or buy a plastic bag.

Got to be practical. If you want a bag pay for it. Give the customer a chance to refuse a plastic bag.

Educate the kids. When the kids are properly educated can have a significant influence on the parents.

Now there's a novelty. Educate the kids and let them educate the parents. In my time it was my parents who educated me about such things as this. School was mainly the 3 Rs.

But it might work if you can get the Thai schools on board.

The whole system teaches not to question older folk so it wont work......kids telling parents not to drop rubbish.......its simple really , many people here simply do not care on iota about ANYTHING except he who cant be mentioned and who could do a lot to stop this but it seems the whole..........I cant go there

Anyway Thais dont give a damn and its "their" country as they like to proclaim daily at 8 and 6! The fact their crap ends up on others beaches means bugger all to them.

What matters is if they can drop it without anyone seeing them do it , although here by me they dont care about that either, out the window or off the bike, crap is everywhere

May I ask, what are you doing to help?

• Like 1

In B.C. Canada. Bring your own bag, get a brown paper bio-degradable bag or buy a plastic bag.

Got to be practical. If you want a bag pay for it. Give the customer a chance to refuse a plastic bag.

Educate the kids. When the kids are properly educated can have a significant influence on the parents.

Now there's a novelty. Educate the kids and let them educate the parents. In my time it was my parents who educated me about such things as this. School was mainly the 3 Rs.

The whole system teaches not to question older folk so it wont work......kids telling parents not to drop rubbish.......its simple really , many people here simply do not care on iota about ANYTHING except he who cant be mentioned and who could do a lot to stop this but it seems the whole..........I cant go there

Anyway Thais dont give a damn and its "their" country as they like to proclaim daily at 8 and 6! The fact their crap ends up on others beaches means bugger all to them.

What matters is if they can drop it without anyone seeing them do it , although here by me they dont care about that either, out the window or off the bike, crap is everywhere

Actually my grandkids tell their parents things all the time. Jeez they can even show me a thing or two about my phone, my tablet. My kids and I have taught them to be like that because that's the way I was brought up. They can still respect but educate at the same time.

As for beaches sometime last year my favorite beach was awash with rubbish. I spoke to the food and drink vendor who said he had already had many Thais complain and he had phoned tessaban were send down cleaners. I found a syringe and needle. Just them the garbage truck came and I showed then and they produced a box full of the same for me to add the one I had. Another day school kids all came down and cleaned he beach. So I think its a little unfair to say all Thais litter. Some do, some don't. A recent survey (I know they ain't up to much) did show the environment as one of the major concerns of the general public. Just to have it as a question or possible answer is something. The tide is changing, slowly, there's a long way to go. Don't give up on them yet. Efforts have been made by the new government to. I hope that lasts.

I am not in any way interested in helping a nation that womt help itself, the bag is STILL not the problem its the person using it all bags could be used multiple times and all could be recycled there is no need to ban the plastic bag in itself already recycled form millions of years ago

• Like 1

I am not in any way interested in helping a nation that womt help itself, the bag is STILL not the problem its the person using it all bags could be used multiple times and all could be recycled there is no need to ban the plastic bag in itself already recycled form millions of years ago

Very appropriate user name

kan not

kan not

run out of sensible arguments I see

kan not

What's the point in discussing you've obviously made up your mind to do nothing about the problem. But refreshing to see that you thought my arguments sensible. Thanks.

Time for Thailand to establish a proper recycling / repurposing of plastic bags... Many countries - including the USA have enterprising businesses that shred millions of plastic bags weekly to make a hybrid construction product of ground up plastic bags and sawdust with epoxy to extrude 'lumber' ... boards that will last 30 years, that will not rot, will hold added coloring for years and is useful in constructing dozens of different aspects of a house or in commercial construction... In America these 'boards' are used in decking for patios, porches and for many other projects.

Thailand just need to encourage this.... And no - the non wood cladding your see on housing in Thailand is not this product .. what you see is just 'boards' made from plastic - made from standard petroleum fractions.

Over 10 years billions of plastic bags could be turned into construction materials... Thailand has many by products that could substitute for sawdust in the manufacturing process - such as coconut coir and other cellulosic products.

The Japanese have a process that turns plastic bags into oil.

Even Ethiopia

Too hard for Thailand????? Hub of Asian technology???

Greenpower emission & dioxin free waste to diesel fuel process.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Time for Thailand to establish a proper recycling / repurposing of plastic bags... Many countries - including the USA have enterprising businesses that shred millions of plastic bags weekly to make a hybrid construction product of ground up plastic bags and sawdust with epoxy to extrude 'lumber' ... boards that will last 30 years, that will not rot, will hold added coloring for years and is useful in constructing dozens of different aspects of a house or in commercial construction... In America these 'boards' are used in decking for patios, porches and for many other projects.

Thailand just need to encourage this.... And no - the non wood cladding your see on housing in Thailand is not this product .. what you see is just 'boards' made from plastic - made from standard petroleum fractions.

Over 10 years billions of plastic bags could be turned into construction materials... Thailand has many by products that could substitute for sawdust in the manufacturing process - such as coconut coir and other cellulosic products.

The Japanese have a process that turns plastic bags into oil.

Even Ethiopia

Too hard for Thailand????? Hub of Asian technology???
Depends if they can make a lot of money out of it. And I'm not just talking profit over cost if you get my drift. And would any Thai businessman want to be known as the garbage king. Maybe. Go ahead and see if you can find an investor. Edited by Keesters

Only the rich and middle class can launch stupid ideas to ban plastic bags or start banning the use if plastic. Plastic is gods gift to mankind. It's the perfect product. It is extremely durable, readily available, can be used for numerous purposes and is extremely cheap. It has literally elevated the lives of billions of poor people across the globe.

There should never be ANY ban on this fantastic product, but initiatives to recycle would be most welcome.

• Like 2

The Thai's would rather live in filth,than get of their asses and do anything,that's why they never got colonised,envoy's took one look and thought,"there's no benefit for us here' and left them to it.

I hope that is a joke because it is just so incorrect except perhaps the asses bit.

Only the rich and middle class can launch stupid ideas to ban plastic bags or start banning the use if plastic. Plastic is gods gift to mankind. It's the perfect product. It is extremely durable, readily available, can be used for numerous purposes and is extremely cheap. It has literally elevated the lives of billions of poor people across the globe.

There should never be ANY ban on this fantastic product, but initiatives to recycle would be most welcome.

I don't think anyone would deny that plastic was a fantastic discovery. But the bags. We can well do without them. We had perfectly good bags before there was plastic ones. We could easily return to them. We could even use longer lasting stronger plastic shopping bags rather than the flimsy ones. But the plastic that makes our TV remotes, our phones, our bits and pieces of everyday objects we need to keep.

Someone told me a few years ago that 7/ll alone were getting through something like 90,000,000 plastic bags a day. Now that is one big figure, 32,850,000,000 a year! I questioned those figures and personally don't think they are far off ..... but then I have never been good at maths! wink.png

its enough for continual round trips to the moon on a zip line.

something about the 'service' annoying aspect in thailand requires the bag more then other countries. i chuck it or flick it back on the counter :)

Chuck or flick

That would be considered more than a little rude. Why not just learn how to say you don't want a bag in Thai. I've found most checkout personnel happy to oblige.

because i dont like having to explain why i dont need a small plastic bag 10 times a day

Good god how lazy. It is not an explanation it is a request. Very quick takes 2 seconds like saying thank you. Or don't you say that either when getting your next Chang or 99 baht brekkie.

in thailand its usually an explanation unless you speak thai.

where i grew up the clerk at the grocery would ask 'paper or plastic' which made things easy. too bad they stopped doing this. the tree lovers started objecting to cutting down all those trees to make grocery bags.

Someone told me a few years ago that 7/ll alone were getting through something like 90,000,000 plastic bags a day. Now that is one big figure, 32,850,000,000 a year! I questioned those figures and personally don't think they are far off ..... but then I have never been good at maths! wink.png

its enough for continual round trips to the moon on a zip line.

something about the 'service' annoying aspect in thailand requires the bag more then other countries. i chuck it or flick it back on the counter :)

Chuck or flick

That would be considered more than a little rude. Why not just learn how to say you don't want a bag in Thai. I've found most checkout personnel happy to oblige.

because i dont like having to explain why i dont need a small plastic bag 10 times a day

Good god how lazy. It is not an explanation it is a request. Very quick takes 2 seconds like saying thank you. Or don't you say that either when getting your next Chang or 99 baht brekkie.

in thailand its usually an explanation unless you speak thai.

where i grew up the clerk at the grocery would ask 'paper or plastic' which made things easy. too bad they stopped doing this. the tree lovers started objecting to cutting down all those trees to make grocery bags.

And the Thai would not take you more than an hour to learn. In fact if you were good with languages you'd get it in under 5 minutes. You do live here don't you.

kan not

What's the point in discussing you've obviously made up your mind to do nothing about the problem. But refreshing to see that you thought my arguments sensible. Thanks.

I can safely say there are MUCH more important issues in my life ( but obviously not yours) than plastic bags, let me know when you have succeeded..................i might be in for a long lonnnnnnnnnnnnng wait

There is a difference between Kannot and Willnot.....just so you know

kan not

I can safely say there are MUCH more important issues in my life ( but obviously not yours) than plastic bags, let me know when you have succeeded..................i might be in for a long lonnnnnnnnnnnnng wait

I too have many things on my plate but at least I give this one a try. 3 less plastic bags to my account today. About 15 less on the families. Not bad. Small acorns grow big .....

And at least I'm doing something. I won't be telling you when I succeed as your not taking part in the exercise.

kan not

I too have many things on my plate but at least I give this one a try. 3 less plastic bags to my account today. About 15 less on the families. Not bad. Small acorns grow big .....

And at least I'm doing something. I won't be telling you when I succeed as your not taking part in the exercise.

Ill look forwards to it.....................u seem to have trouble with the quote button maybe a plastic bag is stuck on your keyboard?..................instead of wasting your time on this pointless exercise why not train them to put their bags in an appropriate place which isnt "anywhere they chuck em" most of which end up in my lake

kan not

Ill look forwards to it.....................u seem to have trouble with the quote button maybe a plastic bag is stuck on your keyboard?..................instead of wasting your time on this pointless exercise why not train them to put their bags in an appropriate place which isnt "anywhere they chuck em" most of which end up in my lake

You'll not be notified so you have nothing to look forward to from me. You could look forward to the end of plastic in your lake if you joined in and did something instead of nothing.

Nothing wrong with my quote button. Using latest ThaiVisa app on my android tablet. Everything looks good my end and after hundreds of posts you are the only one to complain. Maybe it is your end.

If you had read fully this forum you would see some of my examples of training regarding littering. Littering that includes plastic bags, ice cream wrappers, drink cups etc. Plus my large family is fully aware and properly trained. How many have you trained or scolded when you caught them littering? As you have already stated that you intend to do nothing about the problem I would have to assume it is also none. The only action being to complain about the litter ending up in your lake.

Edited by Keesters

The big retailers need to take the lead. And they need to cooperate with eachother to present a united front. Then they can charge for bags. The public will soon get the message.

Some of the retailers have taken action. Tesco in Phuket have had a couple of campaigns on trying to reduce the number of plastic bags. Don't know how it got on as I don't live there. Tesco countrywide have a reuse your plastic bag system that gets you extra points on your Clubcard. I have used it and have only observed one other farang with his family use it. Lately however the girls seem reluctant to use the special barcode sheet to give you your points not that that stops me from reusing my bags. Tops too I have seen something about special days, special something if you shop using an eco friendly bag. Not done that as I buy little from them and never take a plastic bag anyway. Friendship in Pattaya will charge you for extra bags over and above what the checkout girl thinks reasonable. Some motorcyclists always ask for extra because they are concerned about breakages when the bag is slung over the handlebars. Friendship is the best in my books as they always let me use my cotton bag without hassle. Tesco won't let me take it in and round to the checkout. I've actually repacked my shopping from plastic to cotton bag and thrown the empty plastic ones at and around the guard who wouldn't let me take the cotton one in. Do you think he got the message? No next visit same hassle. Moron.

Most of the reusable bags I have seen here for sale are useless being very badly designed and made. The cotton ones my friend brings from Australia is perfect. I get at least a years use from it before I need to change to another one. They also have special ones for bottles. The 7-11 girls love that one. The Thai bags are also expensive. About 3 times the cost of an Australian one.

So some effort is being made here by the retailers. Bringing them altogether would take government intervention as they have done with the mobile phone companies.

Try this to help the situation - do something and not just talk ... I am a member of the Trash Heros. This group meets every Sunday and cleans up a section of the beaches in Ao Nang, Krabi. This activity goes on in other resort areas here in the greater Krabi, Phuket, Koh Samui area. We recruit Thai people, short and long stay tourist and expats.

We show my example of what the problem is and one method to combat it. The reaction is good... many Thai families picnicking on the beach see us, take photos, help out, talk about the situation. Many tourists do also. The example is catching on - many Thais approve and join in ... some guide their children to pick up trash around their area on the beach. It is a small start but it catches on.

This is of course not a total solution. Fewer bags, proper recycling of bags, more education are. Showing by example will have an effect. It will work slowly but in time - things will change.

And no - we do not have work permits... the local authorities are very helpful and provide a place for us to dispose of the trash.

You don't have to have a beach -- just a public place like a park, rest area on a highway, riverside gathering places, etc. We wear yellow shirt with Trash Hero in English and information in the Thai language. We leave signs telling of how many kilos of trash we have removed.

Try this to help the situation - do something and not just talk ... I am a member of the Trash Heros. This group meets every Sunday and cleans up a section of the beaches in Ao Nang, Krabi. This activity goes on in other resort areas here in the greater Krabi, Phuket, Koh Samui area. We recruit Thai people, short and long stay tourist and expats.

We show my example of what the problem is and one method to combat it. The reaction is good... many Thai families picnicking on the beach see us, take photos, help out, talk about the situation. Many tourists do also. The example is catching on - many Thais approve and join in ... some guide their children to pick up trash around their area on the beach. It is a small start but it catches on.

This is of course not a total solution. Fewer bags, proper recycling of bags, more education are. Showing by example will have an effect. It will work slowly but in time - things will change.

And no - we do not have work permits... the local authorities are very helpful and provide a place for us to dispose of the trash.

You don't have to have a beach -- just a public place like a park, rest area on a highway, riverside gathering places, etc. We wear yellow shirt with Trash Hero in English and information in the Thai language. We leave signs telling of how many kilos of trash we have removed.

Don't worry me and my family do something similar. Often farang friends at the beach assist to. Only Thais that do it apart my family are school kids and boy scouts, girl guides. Most of the garbage we just bring back to our vendor friend and he disposes of it. We also help collect beer bottles etc and give them to the local garbage picker. He's getting on in years now and is struggling to make ends meet now that he's had two grandkids dumped on him.

I would estimate that 99% of the garbage is Thai generated while the beach is 20-50% farang depending on season.

Shame they can't keep their own beach clean. I tell some off if I see them walk away leaving rubbish behind. All sorry sorry and they pick it up, probably to dump it elsewhere.

We also do the park nearby. Plenty of action from me. Just don't like organised groups, schedules etc. Prefer to be on my own with my family & close friends.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

As bad as throwing plastic is burning it to dispose of it because many areas have no waste management in place. In fact I think I would prefer people litter. When it isn;t raining, it is often we are literally choking on acrid burning plastic smoke. People simply do not believe that it is harmful. "Oh smells bad..."

Even my neice who grew up in the village we live in came back for a visit from Bangkok crying last time, "The air is poison! The plastic smoke It's awful! How stupid, they don't even think there's any harm in it!" You know its bad if people come in from Bangkok not able to hack it. Plastic is making people sick, seriously ill and killing them, it isn't just about saving Flipper and sea birds. Anyone living in Thailand is just as helpless against being harmed or even killed by plastic as any creature at this point.

• Like 1

As bad as throwing plastic is burning it to dispose of it because many areas have no waste management in place. In fact I think I would prefer people litter. When it isn;t raining, it is often we are literally choking on acrid burning plastic smoke. People simply do not believe that it is harmful. "Oh smells bad..."

Even my neice who grew up in the village we live in came back for a visit from Bangkok crying last time, "The air is poison! The plastic smoke It's awful! How stupid, they don't even think there's any harm in it!" You know its bad if people come in from Bangkok not able to hack it. Plastic is making people sick, seriously ill and killing them, it isn't just about saving Flipper and sea birds. Anyone living in Thailand is just as helpless against being harmed or even killed by plastic as any creature at this point.

What about digging a hole and putting it in there. Make your own landfill. That's what my grandparents did right up to the 60 or 70s in the small village they lived in UK. Pre plastic, no styro, no fridge or TV to dump so a bit different than now. Pretty sure that's what we did in small village outside. Lampang in early 80s when I used to visit. Don't remember any burning or piles of garbage.

Just reread your post. Are you saying the burning is in Bangkok? If so are there still places with no garbage disposal?

Edited by Keesters