Ice Cream

beau thai

always surprises me that, in a hot country where natives have a sweet tooth, it is hard to find good ice cream. Easy to find Unilever or General Mills brands (Walls, Haagen Daaz etc) but that stuff doesnt hit the spot.

My small domestic Kenwood Icecream maker was too big/heavy to bring over and Robinson charge 4300 baht for the Kenwood that costs 1400 baht equivalent in UK.

Lazada list a Zmart but give little detail but it may be worth a punt at only 1290 baht.

2 questions: Anyone found a good locally made ice cream here (dont mention iberry)-if so where please?

Or bought a small icecream maker here at a reasonable price, that works well - or has one to sell maybe?

TIA

Edited by beau thai

There's a nice ice cream shop over the river. on the corner of the street which runs down to the British Council/Consul

I assume you mean Bud's Ice Cream. It's available in Tops. I tried the grocery store version and I wasn't impressed. The best I've found is by way of buying hand-packed containers in the Swenson's ice cream shops. The selections isn't as good as in US (and I assume European) ice cream shops, but I think that what they have is good. It's not cheap, but it's much cheaper than buying Haagen Daaz in Tops.

Ice Cream consumption isn't always revelant the climate. My home state of Massachussets is cold and they eat the most of any state in the US.

I really like "Ice Love YOU"

(https://www.facebook.com/pages/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A1-IceLoveYou/368293539910320)

I must mention that it is vegan something a rather, but as I happily devour raw blood soup I assure you it's my new favorite cause it's great!!

We bought our ice cream maker from Lazada. It is a Disney Mickey Mouse (manufactured by De Longhi); without compressor. At that time the price was around B2'790.

It works perfect and it's fun to make your own ice cream.

You only need to make sure that your freezer department is of big enough size in order to hold the freezing container and that the freezer achieves the minimum temperatur set by De Longhi.

Mainly we use recipes from the book "The perfect scoop" from David Lebovitz.

We love the ice cream results. Now the seasonal favourite is Mango ice cream. Next one on the list is Durian ice cream.

If the friends from our kids pass by they always request some ice cream from "daddy cool".

Cuisinart ice cream makers are on offer for about 5000 baht. This is the non-compressor version. With a compressor I think there is one for about 10,000 baht. Été

brand ice cream made in thailand is excellent.

Many thanks for all your help so far, and I will track down the Lebovitz book. Thank you.

If you are really interested in more ice cream recipes, I can recommend you my second favourite book:

"Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones" from Bi-Rite Creamery.

From Ben&Jerry's ice cream book I was fully disappointed. Most recipes in the book do not match the ice cream sold by Ben&Jerry's.

The two books Perfect Scoop and Sweet cream I ordered through Amazon. The bill including shipment & tax & handling was USD 43.

You could also get the Perfect Scoop in Asia Books stores, price around B700 at that time. Sweet Cream was not available at Asia Books at that time.

Many thanks for all your help so far, and I will track down the Lebovitz book. Thank you.

If you are really interested in more ice cream recipes, I can recommend you my second favourite book:

"Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones" from Bi-Rite Creamery.

From Ben&Jerry's ice cream book I was fully disappointed. Most recipes in the book do not match the ice cream sold by Ben&Jerry's.

The two books Perfect Scoop and Sweet cream I ordered through Amazon. The bill including shipment & tax & handling was USD 43.

You could also get the Perfect Scoop in Asia Books stores, price around B700 at that time. Sweet Cream was not available at Asia Books at that time.

Thanks Robert- looks as though I can get them for my Kindle. Now I will defo buy a small machine to make my own...

To me, Hagaan Daaz and Ben and Jerry's are great, but way over priced. I will only pay for them once every blue moon. IMO, the best ice cream for the price in CM is the home-made stuff at Butter is Better. It is excellent and (used to be) relatively inexpensive.

Edited by Ulysses G.

To me, Hagaan Daaz and Ben and Jerry's are great, but way over priced. I will only pay for them once every blue moon. IMO, the best ice cream for the price in CM is the home-made stuff at Butter is Better. It is excellent and (used to be) relatively inexpensive.

Unfortunately, they aren't currently making it.

Home made icecream is the best! Brought a Philips icream maker over 2 years ago from Belgium and haven't regretted it...

Next time you make chocolate icecream put some chili powder in the mix. Spicy chocolate icecream! Tastes like normal chocolate icecream but the spicyness only kicks in after a few bites...

No Name Durian ice cream blocks from various sites around Thailand. Yabba Dabba Do !!!!!

Just one of my many secret addictions !!!

I bought 4 tubs of yellow ice cream for my kids at the first airport we landed at in Indonesia.

I handed these out, and the airport crowd had a good laugh as four kids all screwed up their faces and spat out mouthfuls of Durian icecream into the nearest rubbish bin.

I had no idea they put such stuff into food!!! bah.gif

Janie Scoop on Nimanhaemin Lane/Soi.5 has really good ice cream.

You been there lately?? Went to their old venue further down Nimman with friends a few weeks back. Outside was a very large posh map showing their new location in Soi 5 as you said. Traipsed up there to find it closed Saturday afternoon, and it looked permanently closed. the quest continues....

Unfortunately, they aren't currently making it.

You are right. went there today having seen the previous post and all they had was some large containers of bought-in stuff. Questions about home made ice cream got a blank look then 'Mai Mii'.

But the Eggs Benedict were as good as ever so not a total fool's errand...

Try Johoney, just round the corner from Love at First Bite. Haven't been for quite a while but hope the young couple owners are still making their own ice cream. Google the name to find their Facebook page for more info and example flavours. Not expensive, I seem to remember.

Edited by CMMCB

Try Johoney, just round the corner from Love at First Bite. Haven't been for quite a while but hope the young couple owners are still making their own ice cream. Google the name to find their Facebook page for more info and example flavours. Not expensive, I seem to remember.

Thanks. From the FB page, that looks more like what we are looking for. I'll give it the taste test.

ok, so my tasting buddy is now in JoHoney and rates it the best so far at 8/10. 18 flavours (some unusual apparently!!) and good texture/flavour - 3 scoops for 85 baht. Beats Gelabar in Nimman which he rates 7/10!

And I have just ordered a maker from lazada- WaWa, down from 1890 to 1134, and extra 10% today so only 1021baht.

Now to sort out some recipes....

And thanks to all for their help.

Many thanks for that. Just back from my first visit to Love at First Bite.

We liked their food although mostly western but very good, and priced at about 150 for a main so not cheap by Chiang Mai standards. But their garden is a very tranquil oasis and a great place to while away some time flicking through their many mags.

AND they make home made ice cream! Great flavours-my coffee ice cream very good and my gf's Passion Fruit ice cream was very tasty. They let me try the salted caramel(!) didnt taste salt but good flavour, and the Ma Kiang that was a bit like raspberry. Marked at 70 for a big scoop, but only charged 60.

Didnt want a coffee but they have a very big coffee machine, and it smelled very good, so next time.....

Not so far from where we live and good to add to our 'GoTo' list. Near Rimping Village/Iron Bridge if that helps others to track it down.

Ok, an ice cream update. Gelabar in soi 7 Nimman. Not easy to find but worth the search, not so far from The Monkey club.

Just been there with a swiss guy and 2 thai girls, so we had many different scoops to share.

Creme Brulee Ice cream, choc mint, (like After 8), dark chocolate, mango were all winners. Very good flavours, very well presented, and service with a smile.

Lovely small place set up like an old fashioned ice cream parlour. And only 40 baht a scoop.

We now rate it 9/10. Definitely worth a try.

ok, so my tasting buddy is now in JoHoney and rates it the best so far at 8/10. 18 flavours (some unusual apparently!!) and good texture/flavour - 3 scoops for 85 baht.

I tried Johoney today and was very impressed. 30 baht a scoop for very good quality ice cream. Haggen Daz is better for 3 times the price, but Johoney is right in my price range and much better than other local ice creams I have tried for the money. thumbsup.gif

Janie Scoop on Nimanhaemin Lane/Soi.5 has really good ice cream.

You been there lately?? Went to their old venue further down Nimman with friends a few weeks back. Outside was a very large posh map showing their new location in Soi 5 as you said. Traipsed up there to find it closed Saturday afternoon, and it looked permanently closed. the quest continues....

Yes. I was there around the 18th of February. They have a facebook page with a phone number. I have found it closed before, but there was a note saying that they were going to open later that day. I am not in Thailand now so I won't have the opportunity to check on that. Sorry.