UK immigration. What would happen if..?

I am currently living in Thailand with my Thai wife and a child. I am a British citizen and thus my child is also. I have been thinking about what would happen if I took the both of them back to the UK with her on a visitor visa and she overstayed? All along my intention was for them both to live in the UK. I didn't apply for a settlement visa because I was not sure I could secure employment at £20,000 a year in the area I want to live. If 6 months down the line the wife declared she was overstaying would she definitely be required to leave or would she able to stay on the basis that she is the mother of a British citizen? I have no great desire to go back to England but I do worry about what would happen if things go t*ts up here in Thailand. I also worry about my child's future and if it is best for them to come to the UK why should the family be split up because of this arbitrary financial requirement?

I do know of someone in a similar situation, however the child had only a Thai passport, the mother overstayed and was deported with the child, she reapplied for a visa, but lied on the application form and now has a 10 year ban.

The husband and father of the child is still in the UK

you just run to one of those shengen countries and overstay there ... if my home country accepts illegal workers and not deport them, why would they deport a UK citizen and his legal family... you might even ask for social security ... family allocations, free house

I wonder what would force you to return, what does 'if things go tits up' mean?

It depends on how you and your wife feels about the life you have here in Thailand. Does she have a circle of family and friends because that is irreplaceable in the UK? The UK, like marriage to a Farang, isn't always all it's cracked up to be. I've been visiting Thailand and have friends over more than thirty years and have found that one has to face some truths about oneself and ones situation which are not always palatable.

On topic: the UK is a great place for illegals who have nothing to lose, who the authorities can't touch, but not so good for people like you and your family if you break the rules. If things go tits up here and you can become a refugee then you are in 'hog heaven' so don't worry about that scenario.

It depends on how you and your wife feels about the life you have here in Thailand. Does she have a circle of family and friends because that is irreplaceable in the UK? The UK, like marriage to a Farang, isn't always all it's cracked up to be. I've been visiting Thailand and have friends over more than thirty years and have found that one has to face some truths about oneself and ones situation which are not always palatable.

On topic: the UK is a great place for illegals who have nothing to lose, who the authorities can't touch, but not so good for people like you and your family if you break the rules. If things go tits up here and you can become a refugee then you are in 'hog heaven' so don't worry about that scenario.

Interesting that you say you have to face some home truths about yourself but wouldn't you have to do that anywhere as an expat? I don't get why some people think Thailand is special. It really isn't. I find that Thai people as a whole suffer from the delusion that they are special and a few farangs reinforce that. I don't like the culture here, that would be something I want to get away from.

Things going tits up could mean I run out of money, emergency medical situation etc.

I also don't get what you mean about becoming a refugee and would then be in hog heaven...

you just run to one of those shengen countries and overstay there ... if my home country accepts illegal workers and not deport them, why would they deport a UK citizen and his legal family... you might even ask for social security ... family allocations, free house

You would not have to overstay in a Shengen country as your wife will be entitled to, and get, a visa as the wife of an EU citizen. Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

Interesting that you say you have to face some home truths about yourself but wouldn't you have to do that anywhere as an expat? I don't get why some people think Thailand is special. It really isn't. I find that Thai people as a whole suffer from the delusion that they are special and a few farangs reinforce that. I don't like the culture here, that would be something I want to get away from.

Things going tits up could mean I run out of money, emergency medical situation etc.

I also don't get what you mean about becoming a refugee and would then be in hog heaven...

hog heaven = american slang. Check here and here. Hope he's not saying refugees are pigs.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Being in 'hog heaven' is to be forced to live in the UK as a refugee, with all the help that the state has to give you plus, if your wife missed Thailand, without the option of returning she would have to make the best of it.

One unpalatable truth is what I feared, you are in a culture that you "want to get away from", marriage makes getting away problematic.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

His wife would need visas for any Shengen country. To obtain one you need to show return tickets, hotels booked, money etc. Its not that easy unless you arrive by dangerous, overcrowded boat from Libya. Never lie to the Brit Embassy or Immigration, they will find you out and then you are scuppered.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Great how countries shit on there own citizens and ignore the illegals. Maybe if they deported all the illegals there would be a job for you and your wife.

That's the UK for you.

• Like 1

His wife would need visas for any Shengen country. To obtain one you need to show return tickets, hotels booked, money etc. Its not that easy unless you arrive by dangerous, overcrowded boat from Libya. Never lie to the Brit Embassy or Immigration, they will find you out and then you are scuppered.

He is a UK citizen, they are married, they travel to an other EU/EEA country -> they are covered by freedom of movement (Directive 200438) and eligable for a free visa, issued ASAP with minimal paperwork (basically just the marital papers, no need for flighttickets, bookings, Insurance, showing financial solvability etc. etc.). This could be for just a short holiday or settlement, aslng as you won't be a burden for the EU state concerned.

More info: see the Schengen sticky on this forum (or those from a Schengen nation who wish to go to the UK, see the British EU/EEA permit)

Thank you EU. smile.png

The UK is not in the Schengen.

Correct, (sadly IMHO) Britain is not part of the Schengen agreement. Hence why I wrote that those EU nationals who from a Schengen (or more precise: any EU nation) who wish to travel to the UK with their THai spouse should get a free EU/EEA permit as the UK is still bound to Directive 2004/38. Freedom of movement (people. goods, property etc.) being one pretty much the founding principle of the EU.

Your post that he as a UK citizen would need a Schengen visa with all the usual requirements for his Thai wife was incorrect so that is what I tried to point out. Infact in theory you could apply for a visa at the external border (not that an airliner would let a Thai board though without visa or residence papers) or you could even travel around the EU without visa (MRAX ruling of the ECJ, European Court of Justice), but that would open a whole can of worms, so it's best to get a visa in advance and not to overstay.

I didn't mean he would need a visa, she would.

'I am a British citizen and thus my child is also.' Are you sure about that? That's only recently been made automatic.

As for overstaying: she being the mother of a 'British citizen' would, as in Thailand, be no basis for claiming the right to stay (might work better if she started out as an illegal immigrant). But the basic visa is, in any case, of six months validity, and longer-term ones are available. So a moot point, I should have thought.

I understand the OP is just "thinking aloud" but to me it is the lack of any flexibility in the existing rules that forces people that want to keep their family together to find workarounds like the SS route or getting a 6 month visa and overstaying.

I am in a similar position. After around 10 years in Thailand, I have decided that the time is right to return home. I would like to take my wife and 2 young British children with me. I am not short of motivation. My parents are in ever declining health and need me to offer more by way of hands on help, my children are in need of a better education than they can get here plus I could probably do with a few more years of National Insurance contributions to boost my state pension if my retirement lifestyle aspiration is beyond a couple of cups of coffee a day.

I am not worried that I will be able to find employment at £18,600+ but I don't imagine that I will be able to accomplish it before I arrive back home which means that, I have to go first and leave my wife and children here for however long it takes me to secure said employment and then immediately ask for time off to come back to Thailand to help my wife juggle the kids in the school holidays and possible multiple trips from Chiang Rai to Bangkok for the settlement visa application process.

Or worse, if my prior year's variable amount overseas income is not deemed 'acceptable', it will take me 6 months at least to get the necessary pay slips to even be in the position where I would be able to apply.

My own idea of the workaround, would be apply for a 6 month's visa for my wife in the first place so that we could all be together in England whilst I got all my ducks in a row and had accrued some holiday entitlement and then return to Thailand with them to submit the settlement visa together and while it is extremely unlikely that we would be able to accomplish that in around 2 to 3 weeks, a short separation at that time wouldn't be the end of the world.

But the problem that we have is that we would need to convince an ECO that a woman who does not have a job (although she owns 3 fully paid for houses) and has 2 children with British passports and one at University in Thailand "would have reason to return and not overstay".

If only being innocent until proven guilty applied to Immigration matters.

Anybody considered or done similar to this or think it is worth trying?

• Like 2

as Donutz has pointed out for British nationals spouses (because they are married to someone who is from a member country of the EU) all Shengen visas are free there are no tickets, money, insurance requirements. I know I've done it, I did however have to explain the rules to the embassy of the country I got the visa from. I guess the Norwegian embassy in Tokyo doesn't have many people like us applying:)
  • Like 1

as Donutz has pointed out for British nationals spouses (because they are married to someone who is from a member country of the EU) all Shengen visas are free there are no tickets, money, insurance requirements. I know I've done it, I did however have to explain the rules to the embassy of the country I got the visa from. I guess the Norwegian embassy in Tokyo doesn't have many people like us applying:)

A friend of mine, British, lived in Thailand for 20 years, Thai wife, children etc. I emailed him today. This is what he said:

In a nutshell, she gets a UK non settlement visa, which is a pain in the arse to get, dealing with an impersonal, chaotic, outsourced agency who don't process the visa on time and only give it out when you beg them and write silly letters to explain why she needs the visa to fly to the UK the next day.

For France its a Schengen visa. Less stupid repeating questions to answer on the online application than the UK visa, but the same disinterested agency hoops to jump through, except in French.

That's pretty much it.

The OP needs to address his "support network" back in the UK to fully realise his options.

Where will he live, what area, schools in the area, level of family support, does he qualify of any welfare benefits*, etc?

(*Take it from me, claiming Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) is a chore and just Google that word plus the word "Sanction" for the full import of how the DWP operates. And as he returning to the UK from outside of the EU he doesn't qualify for JSA for 3 months after returning - He needs to prove Habitual Residency requirements.)

The OP needs to keep looking for further changes to rules and regulations which seem to be becoming stricter on a day by day basis.

Slightly astray but for those who say that the £18,600/annum figure is too high it should be noted that £27,000/annum is the figure claimed to differentiate if you are a giver or a taker regarding tax in the UK. And I think the latter was once proposed as the former until overturned after some debate. The question is will this requirement figure increase this year?

• Like 1