Tipping Government Officers in Phuket

Bogan Koori

As I travel a lot through work, I find the best way to grease the wheels of commerce in most countries is to tip.

In Phuket during my time here, I generally tip immigration officers to get me through immigration cues fast.

I tip my lawyer if he gets my paperwork done quickly.

If I need to go to Phuket immigration and get some documents sorted, I tip Immigration. (They actually know me quite well there now)

Also when I have had motor vehicle accidents or had property stolen I have tipped the local police. When setting up businesses I tip the local Or Bor Tor. I have tipped Customs in Phuket Town when there was packages there for me. I have even tipped people at the Post Office for finding lost mail.

I dont see it as a bribe, becuase they havent asked for it I see it as reward for services well done...Generally its about 300-500 baht per problem. Up to 1000 baht if its a big problem.

My question is...Is it illegal to tip people in positions of authority in Phuket when they havent asked for any money?

nothing like screwing it up. now you know why all these "government officials" want money for a job they are already paid to do

There are those who think people of your ilk have screwed up the system.

I'm a very impatient man. I hate standing in queues or waiting for many hours/days to renew a permit. I've stated previously I'd be happy to pay for the fast line at the airport. I would tip immigration people a fair amount to get in and out quickly with a new permit. I don't want to pay exorbitant agent fees.

I believe the people, who stirred up the hornet's nest by complaining about a service fee of a few hundred baht for something that should be free, caused all the problems we are now getting from Immigration.

I want the old system back, as I don't think these small minded public servants are going to back down on their infuriating go slows.

• Like 2

I've been informed that tipping everybody shows that a foreigner has a lot of money to throw around and doesn't necessarily make the foreigner look so good. Arrogance matter.

Once tipped some motorcycle mechanics who did quite an efficient job on my carburetor, a job I thought would run me 800thb or so, only was charged 400 so tipped the two guys 100thb each only to have one of them cover his mouth whisper something derogatory about me ( I understand a bit of Thai and overheard it) and the both looked at me and laughed. In retrospect i shouldn't have tipped them. Buying a two pack of big beer Changs probably would have been better.

Especially if you have a business, inevitable to "tip" sometimes. No reason to complain, being a citizen of a squeaky clean country who settled here voluntarily being fully aware of this.

Tipping is not inevitable.

I tip workers, very well. Get about the same results. I've offered soft drinks and such to uniformed personal and become friendly.

When I clear Suvarnabhumi. I always have a water and maybe chips for border patrol, but not until I'm in country.

You start tipping G-men , you're asking for trouble and will sooner or later get some. There are eyes watching, everywhere. Reason you can't tip a G-Man, it is against the law. Break the law, did I say sooner or later. It also doesn't really add to a peaceful life. For any of the parties involved. Those aren't ten suggestions.

It would be called stealing.

Edited by nithisa78

I don't know about Phuket. Never been there, never expect to go there.

The general custom is if you want to give a "gift of the heart" you put it in an envelope. I think white envelopes are preferred to government officials.

Back when Prem was prime minister they didn't dare be seen accepting an envelope. I'm talking about the ministries in Bangkok, that is.

The custom goes back to the days before Rama V, when government ministers ran their ministries out of their homes and did not get a government salary. Every couple of decades the King had to crack down on the out-of-control "gifts." The courts, too. Being King wasn't easy.

Edited by Acharn
  • Like 1

I tip if it means I'm quick through whatever department I'm attending. Nobody likes sitting for hours waiting and if a few hundred baht gets me in and out service I'm paying.

Yea that is very smart,let some other poor bastard wait a bit longer because you paid to get in first . bah.gif

• Like 2

I tip if it means I'm quick through whatever department I'm attending. Nobody likes sitting for hours waiting and if a few hundred baht gets me in and out service I'm paying.

Yea that is very smart,let some other poor bastard wait a bit longer because you paid to get in first . bah.gif
Bad luck to the poor bastards waiting. Just because I take advantage of greasing some greedy palms so I can get out in minutes is entirely up to me. Fast track at the airport is another example of there being a market for impatient souls like myself. Wish it was implemented everywhere.
  • Like 1

Bad luck to the poor bastards waiting. Just because I take advantage of greasing some greedy palms so I can get out in minutes is entirely up to me. Fast track at the airport is another example of there being a market for impatient souls like myself. Wish it was implemented everywhere.

Ever consider that bribing officials is illegal? That makes you an criminal.

• Like 1

Its like the FastPass at Universal Studios or Disney World

You tip a lawyer? That's a first as far as I know!

Sure do. My paperwork always goes to the top of the pile then

Sure you do.... 5555. The outer office authority IE. secretary, gets right on to your paper work 55555 dream on. You must think the actual time it takes is your tipped rush time... 555555. Love to have you as a client..w00t.gif

• Like 1