renewing driver's licence

Somtamnication

Last time no medical certificate needed (9 march in BKK) this was for renewing my 5 year license. They specifically told me they did not need a health certificate. But they are only 100bt or so I would get one to be sure. The passport and copies of visa + certificate of residence is real important.

Did mine in BKK took 2 hours arrived at 2pm left by 4pm

Application ( picked up at desk when you enter)

Doctors cert

Passport + copies (including Visa and Entry stamp)

Proof Of Address (Affidavit From Embassy)

Pay the fee...(No Bribe got a receipt)

Did the Silly "Test" line up the sticks, Press break peddle, red, green, yellow lights ...Pass Watched one guy try the reaction Test and he failed about 6 times the meter went off the carts before he reacted to the light change..."Tester Passed him anyhow" (shook my head in disbelieving)

Got to the last window and noticed they were only going to give me a 1 year when should have been a 5 year...

Talked to the grumpy lady that spoke English she said because my extension expire in 2 months...

I explained that is the first of the extensions and you receive a 1 year after that...

She was not going to change it

But Fortunately I had a copy of the requirements in Thai and English from the government website and pointed out that the only Visa requirement for 5 year is must have Non O nothing more..

She unhappily gave me the correct form

Had my photo taken with a happy fat lady and got my card

Then noticed they gave me an expire date that matches my Birth date so got a 5 year 8 Month Driver licence... YAY..

• Like 1

500 baht for the Certificate of Residency..................oooops we already covered that....Its free supposedly .....but thats another repeated topic!

Yep, this is what I paid this morning in Jomtien.

It was 300 THB exactly 1 yr ago...

Daniel Ingalls, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:

500 baht for the Certificate of Residency..................oooops we already covered that....Its free supposedly .....but thats another repeated topic!

Free and available from your local Police Station as well.

The proof of address must be a letter from the Immigration department.

You can't turn up with a Tabien Bahn, or a bill with your address on it.

Oh really

In am in the Changwat of Khon Kaen, I wonder what they will want

For everything I use the yellow book

I am not sure where you are but if anyone in Khon Kaen province could advise that would help me.

Regards

• Like 1

KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:

A Tabian Ban is ultimate proof of address. You need a C of R to get one.

What do you think Thais use; ID card and Tabian Ban. No different for farangs.

Transport departments should accept one of 3 possible methods of proof of address for a farang;

1. Certificate of Residence (available from Immigration, Embassy or Police Station).

2. Tabian Ban (obtained from local Amphur)

3. Work Permit.

• Like 1

dutchweller, on 11 Mar 2015 - 16:51, said:

Did mine in BKK took 2 hours arrived at 2pm left by 4pm

Application ( picked up at desk when you enter)

Doctors cert

Passport + copies (including Visa and Entry stamp)

Proof Of Address (Affidavit From Embassy)

Pay the fee...(No Bribe got a receipt)

Did the Silly "Test" line up the sticks, Press break peddle, red, green, yellow lights ...Pass Watched one guy try the reaction Test and he failed about 6 times the meter went off the carts before he reacted to the light change..."Tester Passed him anyhow" (shook my head in disbelieving)

Got to the last window and noticed they were only going to give me a 1 year when should have been a 5 year...

Talked to the grumpy lady that spoke English she said because my extension expire in 2 months...

I explained that is the first of the extensions and you receive a 1 year after that...

She was not going to change it

But Fortunately I had a copy of the requirements in Thai and English from the government website and pointed out that the only Visa requirement for 5 year is must have Non O nothing more..

She unhappily gave me the correct form

Had my photo taken with a happy fat lady and got my card

Then noticed they gave me an expire date that matches my Birth date so got a 5 year 8 Month Driver licence... YAY..

It's usual practice to use your birthday as the expiry date after the 1 year licence expires, which not only works to our advantage, but makes it easier to remember the renewal date in the future.

MAZ3, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:42, said:

A Tabian Ban is a valid certified document of proof of address.

I guess when they write these things in English they don't know their own laws allow farangs to obtain a Tabian Ban as well as Thais.

I often get an 'Ooh' when I use mine (in some kind of disbelief) but it's always gratefully accepted, just as it is for any Thai.

I was under the impression house registration was sufficient?

Every time I've shown my yellow house book for other reasons, it has gone down well. Somone I know has used his to renew a driving licence, but as we know, it can vary from office to office for the same rule.

I'll need to renew my licence later this year, so will look forward with interest as to what will be accepted.

All I know is that at the Phuket Licencing office, they want a Certificate of Residence from Immigration if you are a foreigner (if you don't have a work permit).

I have no idea about the yellow Tabien Bahn, but, I do know that they won't accept a Blue Tabien Bahn from a foreigner, even though you have to show this to Immigration to actually get the certificate.

Edited by KarenBravo

All I know is that at the Phuket Licencing office, they want a Certificate of Residence from Immigration if you are a foreigner (if you don't have a work permit).

I have no idea about the yellow Tabien Bahn, but, I do know that they won't accept a Blue Tabien Bahn from a foreigner, even though you have to show this to Immigration to actually get the certificate.

As a foreigner you cant be on the blue tabien bahn.. so that is why its not accepted. The yellow is a totally different one with the foreigners name on it.

• Like 2

Ok, that covers that. Thanks for all the replies. For the cert of residence with immigration, what do they want (paperwise)? Passport and?

Proof of address, should be on Immigration computer assuming your landlord has registered you with Immigration. Else you need to get house papers etc from landlord

To get the C of R I got told by the volunteer in Immigration that I also needed a copy of my landlady's ID card. Reason being my licence address is different to my current address. Doesn't seem to matter that my address was verified by my landlady for my Retirement visa.

“In general, a foreigner listed as the property owner with a yellow tabien baan does not need any proof of address from Immigration.

However, a foreigner listed in a yellow tabien baan only as a resident at that address, not as the property owner, definitely does need the letter from Immigration.

In your case, there might have been a mistake somewhere. It is possible that, in the past, our officers did not check carefully enough to see whether or not your name was listed as the property owner, or just as a resident at the address for which the tabien baan was issued.

However, if you are listed in the yellow book as the “owner” and our staff still asked for proof of address from Immigration, please come and see me and I will take care of it.”

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:55:55 PM Konlayut Jattutasri, Registrar of the Licensing Division at the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office. - See more at: http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1547#sthash.J5csVn72.dpuf
Edited by falkan

falkan, on 11 Mar 2015 - 22:11, said:falkan, on 11 Mar 2015 - 22:11, said:
KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 18:28, said:KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 18:28, said:

“In general, a foreigner listed as the property owner with a yellow tabien baan does not need any proof of address from Immigration.

However, a foreigner listed in a yellow tabien baan only as a resident at that address, not as the property owner, definitely does need the letter from Immigration.

In your case, there might have been a mistake somewhere. It is possible that, in the past, our officers did not check carefully enough to see whether or not your name was listed as the property owner, or just as a resident at the address for which the tabien baan was issued.

However, if you are listed in the yellow book as the “owner” and our staff still asked for proof of address from Immigration, please come and see me and I will take care of it.”

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:55:55 PM Konlayut Jattutasri, Registrar of the Licensing Division at the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office. - See more at: http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1547#sthash.J5csVn72.dpuf

The requirement is for proof of address, not ownership.

If that were the case a lot of farangs wouldn't be able to get a Thai Licence.

Quote: However, a foreigner listed in a yellow tabien baan only as a resident at that address, not as the property owner, definitely does need the letter from Immigration.

That's the only proof requested...........resident at what address.

My yellow Tabian Ban was accepted by the Tax Office, Immigration and the Transport Office as 'proof of address'

Furthermore a C of R only has a validity of 30 days from issue. A Tabian Ban has no expiry date.

Edited by Faz

Somtamnication, on 11 Mar 2015 - 19:35, said:

Ok, that covers that. Thanks for all the replies. For the cert of residence with immigration, what do they want (paperwise)? Passport and?

Passport and copy of homepage, entry stamp and current Visa/Extension.

Copy of your landlords ID card and Tabian Ban. Copies must be signed by your landlord and include their tele number.

take everything you have even the kitchen sink, my experience with all these government offices are if you have every piece of paper work they don't ask for it,as soon as you are one piece of paper work short they love to send you away and CAN NOT

Somtamnication, on 11 Mar 2015 - 19:35, said:

Passport and copy of homepage, entry stamp and current Visa/Extension.

Copy of your landlords ID card and Tabian Ban. Copies must be signed by your landlord and include their tele number.

You must also bring some passport sized photos, whatever other people say, they are very important.