renewing driver's licence

Somtamnication

You must also bring some passport sized photos, whatever other people say, they are very important.

Not in Phuket DVLC. They take the photo to embed into the license.

I think he was asking if a picture for the proof or residence is required.

• Like 1

KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:

The proof of address must be a letter from the Immigration department.

You can't turn up with a Tabien Bahn, or a bill with your address on it.

A Tabian Ban is ultimate proof of address. You need a C of R to get one.

What do you think Thais use; ID card and Tabian Ban. No different for farangs.

Transport departments should accept one of 3 possible methods of proof of address for a farang;

1. Certificate of Residence (available from Immigration, Embassy or Police Station).

2. Tabian Ban (obtained from local Amphur)

3. Work Permit.

''You need a C of R to get one.''

What if what I have is a T of V, I wonder.

Or perhaps a simply a D of S

KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:

Transport departments should accept one of 3 possible methods of proof of address for a farang;

1. Certificate of Residence (available from Immigration, Embassy or Police Station).

3. Work Permit.

There is a big difference between what we think that they should accept and what they will accept.

Thai's are not really famous for their logical decisions or way of thinking.

A work permit has in most cases the address from your employer or work place and not your home address.

Andre0720, on 12 Mar 2015 - 19:04, said:
Faz, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:30, said:
KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:

3. Work Permit.

''You need a C of R to get one.''

What if what I have is a T of V, I wonder.

Or perhaps a simply a D of S

If you have a T of V, plug it in, switch it on and watch it.

If you have a D of S, seek immediate medical attention.

Really Andre, if you bothered to read all the posts you'd know what we were discussing and what C of R is an abbreviation of.

merijn, on 12 Mar 2015 - 19:41, said:
Faz, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:30, said:
KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:KarenBravo, on 11 Mar 2015 - 17:03, said:

3. Work Permit.

There is a big difference between what we think that they should accept and what they will accept.

Thai's are not really famous for their logical decisions or way of thinking.

A work permit has in most cases the address from your employer or work place and not your home address.

The only way to find out for sure is to ask the at the office your going to deal with.

Some will accept a copy of your landlords ID card and Tabian Ban, such as Immigration or Banks.

Others want a Certificate of Residence (for which you need the above papers anyway), such as the Transport office.

That is usually all any office will request and as much as they think a farang will hold.

Next step is a Tabian Ban for which you need a Certificate of Residence and a translation of your passport into Thai.

As already mentioned, a Certificate of Residence only has a validity of 30 days to be used.

A Tabian Ban has no expiry date.

The offices that often request a Certificate of Residence will happily accept a Tabian Ban if you tell them you hold one.

Since holding mine I have at times been told I need a C of R (which is their minimum acceptance requirement), but on production of my Tabian Ban a C of R wasn't required. That goes for any government office I've had dealings with, Including my Transport Office who initially said they could only accept a C of R.

Many of these staff are poorly trained and don't realise that under the Thai Civil Registration Act a foreigner is entitled to hold a Tabian Ban whether an owner or renter. Thais hold a blue book, foreigners are issued with a Yellow book.

Thais hold an ID card, just as we hold a passport, as proof of identity

Thais use their house book (Tabian Ban) as proof of address...........guess what I use!

Ask to see a manager if you get blank stares........staff only ask for what their told to ask for.

• Like 2

I have a yellow house book for my house in Hua Hin. My visa is non O plus retirement issued at HH. I do though live alot of the time at my wife's Isaan house. Can I renew my 5 year driving licence at the local Isaan licence renewal office, or do I have to do it in Hua Hin?

I have a yellow house book for my house in Hua Hin. My visa is non O plus retirement issued at HH. I do though live alot of the time at my wife's Isaan house. Can I renew my 5 year driving licence at the local Isaan licence renewal office, or do I have to do it in Hua Hin?

Yes you can do it in Isaan. No problem. I also renew in PangNga and not Phuket.

• Like 1

bubblegum, on 15 Mar 2015 - 10:34, said:

Have to do my 1 year licence soon but still not sure when to do it, before or after expiration, anyone?

When I asked my transport office what date I should renew my licence they said anytime up to 2 weeks before the expiry date.

Have to do my 1 year licence soon but still not sure when to do it, before or after expiration, anyone?

When I asked my transport office what date I should renew my licence they said anytime up to 2 weeks before the expiry date.

I was told 90 days before expiry date and they told me this 9 march 2015, so its quite recent. However this was in BKK.

Yes you can do it in Isaan. No problem. I also renew in PangNga and not Phuket.

Is PhangNga more easy then Phuket to renew your DL?

I was told 90 days before expiry date and they told me this 9 march 2015, so its quite recent. However this was in BKK.

PHUKET:::

Just renewed my 5 year license today

was told u can do it 2 months before BUT

DONT

renew after

My license expired Marsh 15 2015

went in today

new license expires March 15th 2011 6 YEARS!!! same price

Need show

• residency certificate
  • copy front page passport
  • copy visa page

Original license

Passport

• Got there at 8:30
  • docs checked
  • went and brake test an light test ( red, yellow, green)
  • waited 40 minutes than a 1 hour video ( only watched part of the video for all people renewing 5 year license an those getting a new license with an IDP)
  • than paid 550 baht
  • got pic taken, paid 110 baht
  • got the license
  • out at 11:40

phuketrichard, on 17 Mar 2015 - 13:29, said:phuketrichard, on 17 Mar 2015 - 13:29, said:phuketrichard, on 17 Mar 2015 - 13:29, said:
robblok, on 15 Mar 2015 - 16:21, said:robblok, on 15 Mar 2015 - 16:21, said:robblok, on 15 Mar 2015 - 16:21, said:
Faz, on 15 Mar 2015 - 14:51, said:Faz, on 15 Mar 2015 - 14:51, said:Faz, on 15 Mar 2015 - 14:51, said:
bubblegum, on 15 Mar 2015 - 10:34, said:bubblegum, on 15 Mar 2015 - 10:34, said:bubblegum, on 15 Mar 2015 - 10:34, said:bubblegum, on 15 Mar 2015 - 10:34, said:

PHUKET:::

Just renewed my 5 year license today

was told u can do it 2 months before BUT

DONT

renew after

went in today

Need show

• residency certificate
  • copy front page passport
  • copy visa page

Original license

Passport

• Got there at 8:30
  • docs checked
  • went and brake test an light test ( red, yellow, green)
  • waited 40 minutes than a 1 hour video ( only watched part of the video for all people renewing 5 year license an those getting a new license with an IDP)
  • than paid 550 baht
  • got pic taken, paid 110 baht
  • got the license
  • out at 11:40

went in today

I think you meant 2021 smile.png

Better double check it, you know how they make mistakes.

Edited by Faz

went in today

I think you meant 2021 smile.png

Better double check it, you know how they make mistakes.

Yes, they do make mistakes. My last license was issued for 13 years. 2545 - 2558