Do You Mind your own Business?

NoshowJones

I think I would have to ask myself some serious questions dependent on the scenario.

You are walking down a quiet soi and witness a car clipping a motorbike. The two girls are off the bike and on the road in front of you. Do you just walk past them and carry on?

You are walking down a busy soi and see a child in front of you about to run into the road. Would you ignore this?

You are in a bar and witness someone putting something into a girl's drink while she isn't looking at the next table. Do you just sit there and keep your mouth shut?

You are at the beach and see a child separated from their parents by about 10 meters or so. You see a dog approaching the child baring it's teeth, looking dangerous. As the parents haven't seen it yet, do you keep quiet about it?

In all the above, the answer would be no, I wouldn't mind my own business, I would get involved in things that weren't my business.

Something for the posters who live in their own little secure worlds and ignore what is going on around them........................wink.png

Protecting children from harm is everyone's business.

But let's face it, the girls off the m/c and drugs in the drink, you're hoping for a little 'white knight' reward.

4 weeks ago..i have a young neighbour in my Condo building..he is 2 doors down..his room was flooded with water...apparently he left the shower on...anyway I had asked him why he was crying in the hallway...never spoke to him before but just seen him going in and out.

He is a young Thai guy maybe 20yo ladyboy type.

So anyway he tells me in the hallway water has flooded his room and his Landlord wants money to clear it.

So i jump into action..took my mops..buckets etc up to his room..it was ankle high.

He was mostly on the phone continually yapping to someone as I tried my best to soak up the water.

Now other Condo residents were walking past most Thai just looking in but not bothering to help me.

SO I was soaking up the water and putting it in the bucket and emptying that..nearly slipping several times...anyway ok i made one mistake i put the bucket on his bed..as I was walking with the full bucket of water I accudently hit the corner of his double bed which half overturned the bucket onto his bed quilt...nothing dramatic...well not that i thought at the time !!! He was still on the phone and saw it but didnt say anything !!

Anyway to cut a long story short. .about 3 days after i got a knock on the door by a friend of his who was a Ladyboy too..he had the quilt in his hand..yes the same one i spilt the water into...asking me for 500 baht !! Omg ...never again !!!

So now i dont bother helping anyone..i just mind my own business...

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think I would have to ask myself some serious questions dependent on the scenario.

You are walking down a quiet soi and witness a car clipping a motorbike. The two girls are off the bike and on the road in front of you. Do you just walk past them and carry on?

You are walking down a busy soi and see a child in front of you about to run into the road. Would you ignore this?

You are in a bar and witness someone putting something into a girl's drink while she isn't looking at the next table. Do you just sit there and keep your mouth shut?

You are at the beach and see a child separated from their parents by about 10 meters or so. You see a dog approaching the child baring it's teeth, looking dangerous. As the parents haven't seen it yet, do you keep quiet about it?

In all the above, the answer would be no, I wouldn't mind my own business, I would get involved in things that weren't my business.

Something for the posters who live in their own little secure worlds and ignore what is going on around them........................

Protecting children from harm is everyone's business.

But let's face it, the girls off the m/c and drugs in the drink, you're hoping for a little 'white knight' reward.

Actually, I'm not, not that sort of person.

The first three scenarios I was involved in. The last one with the dog was just an example of the dog attack that happened recently on Ko Chang.

I think that in the 18 years of living here and the 10 years previous to that visiting, you can get to see there is little difference between Thai's and the general population of whatever country you originate from.

Good and bad everywhere. But, bad news being good news to the media, gives more examples of falang/Thai altercations to the local sources for others to blindly believe that the foreign 'helper' will end up suffering every time.

For clarity, I lost the rose-tinted glasses a long, long time ago. In the big picture, Thailand isn't that different from anywhere else...........................wink.png

• Like 1

When one, and or more, is, are, the victim, so to speak, of others minding their own business, it is a total different story.

Because, well at least a big part, due to trust/naivety, I lost my kids. They lost their father. This while others knew the mother of them was not acting in an appropriate way in time of seperation.

I only was told this recently by a fam member. Upon me asking ...when they knew the mother was not taking appropriate care for the children, why in heavensname did somebody not contact me...the answer was......we are more familiar with their mother.

Swell.

I mind only my own business everyone else's is of no interest to me.

Ah, another poster with the same mindset as me. Anyone else?

People with several thousand posts do NOT mind their own business, specially on ThaiVisa clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Very true, but I'm referring to where Thai people are concerned, and Farangs staying safe through minding their own business.

I have decided to not get involved in this topic. I am ignoring it all.mfr_closed1.gif

Depends on what others actions . People who drive like idiots and cause accidents. I would without a doubt Grass them up. If someone robbed a bank and I had their Licence plate number I would NOT Grass them up.

If someone robbed a bank and I had their Licence plate number I would NOT Grass them up. Not even if they had weapons and terrified innocent people??

The correct term is "come forward to testify"; grassing is what you do to your accomplices and trusted friends, not anonymous hoodlums. We all have a duty to uphold the law and protect our fellow members of society from criminals

SC

You need a better analogy. If you witness a crime it sorta becomes your business, doesn't it?

Doesn't "mind your own business" mean stuff like passing on gossip or trash talk? Or giving your own opinion on others behaviour loudly?

~

Not really, If you see a crime getting committed and does not involve you, then you could be accused of sticking your nose in if you interfere in any way. I suppose you really have to be in that situation before you decide what to do. If you saw a Thai shoplifting, and you tried to stop him, or you reported him to an assistant, that is taking a big chance with your wellbeing. If I saw anything like that, I would not get involved.

IMO, it may be different in your own country, but in Thailand, never get involved with anything that does not concern you.

Witnessing a crime in which you are not involved with does not become your business. Passing on gossip or giving your opinion is nothing to do with minding your own business. Other posters may disagree, but that is the way I see it.

Quite so,

But the Thais seem to mind their own business, even if an event is crime related.

Neighbour across the road witnessed three times thieves stealing from my motorbike during the night... Owner of a muslim restaurant.

Was just happy to talk about it the next morning...

• Like 1

My personal mantra for living in LOS is simply this - Never Get Involved - ...I don't mix with Thais beyond necessity,I remain calm,polite and cheerful in all my dealings but have no interest in neighbor/moo baan happenings nor local/regional politics et.. After 15yrs here I've grown to love this unique quality of freedom that comes in maintaining a state of "aloofness",its a step beyond just "minding your own business" yet it's not isolation nor indifference . And yes,I do speak Thai - in fact I'd have to say that after having some idea about what's going on around me is what led me to not wanting to know...knowledge = bliss.

• Like 1

You need a better analogy. If you witness a crime it sorta becomes your business, doesn't it?

Doesn't "mind your own business" mean stuff like passing on gossip or trash talk? Or giving your own opinion on others behaviour loudly?

~

Not really, If you see a crime getting committed and does not involve you, then you could be accused of sticking your nose in if you interfere in any way. I suppose you really have to be in that situation before you decide what to do. If you saw a Thai shoplifting, and you tried to stop him, or you reported him to an assistant, that is taking a big chance with your wellbeing. If I saw anything like that, I would not get involved.

IMO, it may be different in your own country, but in Thailand, never get involved with anything that does not concern you.

Witnessing a crime in which you are not involved with does not become your business. Passing on gossip or giving your opinion is nothing to do with minding your own business. Other posters may disagree, but that is the way I see it.

Back in the pouch possum where you will be safe and secure.What if a crime was perpetrated against you,would you like somebody to step up or at least be a witness.I treat people and situations how i would like to be treated.

How would anyone know that you'd reported an accident? I'd do that

Domestic arguments I'd stay out of

"so would I", that would apply to both your points.

So both of you are living in the dark ages where beating a woman(usually) is ok,because your scared to get involved.What if it was your wife's sister and she was murdered because you never raised a finger.Pathetic.

if the aussie ( Mark Hamilton Pendlebury),in phuket, the other night, had minded his own business and moved along when asked,

he would NOT be on MURDER charges.

on the other hand, i was knocked off my motor bike a few weeks ago, and literally every vehicle stopped, closing the road until me and the bike were moved to the side, and first aid applied by a nurse travelling past.

there is a time to mind your own business and a time to get involved, IMHO

I suppose you wouldn't mind Aussie Mark vdo that,and passing it on.

Depends on what others actions . People who drive like idiots and cause accidents. I would without a doubt Grass them up. If someone robbed a bank and I had their Licence plate number I would NOT Grass them up.

What if it was your bank and they don't refund the money.

Yes you would have to assess each situation as it comes up. Do I care if someone shop lifts, no but a hit and run if I can get the plate sure I would help. Now a guy slapping around his girl, I may have to bounce his head off a tree.

I do see thai's helping out were they can in many things, like taking my money . clap2.gifcheesy.gif OK move along nothing to see here !!

Now a guy slapping around his girl, I may have to bounce his head off a tree. That's a real certain way to find yourself up against six Thais.

What if somebody was slapping your wife or daughter around,would you come out of the shadows for that!!!!

• Like 1

Something for the posters who live in their own little secure worlds and ignore what is going on around them........................wink.png

Good post mate,yes,you have made me think,the only thing,as i said before,and okay call me a cynic,is that Thai's see a falang,and see a chance with help from the bib to get money,not all Thai's but some will do this,as for the dog part,yeah i would do something,but would the Thai's see it as help,or a falang trying to snatch their kid,or cause them to loose face,because you saved the kid,while they where too busy eating to notice,then all hell could break loose,,Chris you just cannot apply your western thinking to these scenario's,the Thai could look at it in a totally different light.

If this is your opinion of Thais,how do you even stomach living here.It must be a living hell for you,trusting no one,always on guard.

Well, I consider it my duty to try and assist people who fell off their bikes etc.

And even as a teenager, I interfered when there was violence against a woman (a dozen adults having formed a circle and not one of them lifted a finger to protect the woman who was brutally beaten up by a drunk).

There is something like human decency.

Abuse of a child? Look the other way?

Yes, there might be trouble and potential regrets later on. But I hope all would fight crime in any form and any way they can!

Absolutely, I will pimp his ass if I saw something like happens and there is innocent people injured. If he only wrecks his motorcycle due to his own stupidness with no casualty I would just go on minding my own business yes...

on a trip to Bangkok we saw a bike rider and his bike lying in the middle of the road, I wanted to pull over and see if I could help but my wife told me to keep going as we would be blamed for the accident if we stopped, its how it works here, you report it you get the blame especially if you are a farang. We can come in here and bitch but to do so in real life can be bad for your health as life is not held highly. I see my wife having to pay off govt officials for her company and it really p*sses me off especially as they are doing everything legal with all the right permits but if they dont pay their goods are delayed and they have to pay late fees, I simply have to ignore it as this is Thailand and that is how they operate , sometimes it is better to ignore rather than react although in some cases it is very hard to do so.

As the saying goes "mind your own business". Sometimes other business becomes your business

I'm not disagreeing with you, but can you give an example?

You see the Kray twins cutting someone up, report it to the police, then they send someone to cut you and your family up.

This is correct.

I should add Reggie and Ronnie are still alive and well and running a string of go-go bars in Pattaya. It is certainly best to mind your own business.

• Like 1

Since moving here I've gotten into the habit of "minding my own business"... and my life has become so, so much more peaceful...

The only exception I would make is if I were to witness a serious crime (e.g. a hit-and-run and I could id the number plate, driver, vehicle, etc.), otherwise, I keep my head down and mind my own business... most (Thai) people do the same here and they all seem to be a million times happier.

Mind your own business! smile.png

• Like 1

The more people you talk to, the greater liklihood your stress will INCREASE. However, if you, like me, can either be 100 or 0% friends with someone, that is fine (imo). If they talk to me about problems on our first meeting, i decide 0 or 100. Usually 0, but not always. Why do i need to complicate my life. their problems are not my problems. a real friend who then has problems is different.....but sometimes they are never the same and the 0 and 100 decision needs to be made. life is too short to be dragged down.......trust me, there are tons of people without much baggage who bring you up. find them.

back to the real topic....10-years ago i might interrupt a fight, now no way. not my problem. i've seen to many bad mistakes by strangers. too bad, call me heartless.

Edited by puukao
  • Like 2