Safest parts of Pattaya and Jomtien for Family

Jeff1234

Lol for those answers. There's nowhere to hide from bars and prostitutes in pattaya. And you will probably have a higher chance of being robbed in your own hometown than here. Chiang mai.pattaya.phuket.hua hin. All the famous places in Thailand have prostitutes. Another country would suit you bettrr

How old are the kids?

We had a family come to stay at our house in Jomtien- had a brilliant time- lots of things to do, Art in Paradise, if they are young Teddy Bear Museum, water park ( it's very expensive) Tiffany etc, go- karting is good. Day out snorkeling- very reasonable.

Trip out to the open zoo- great day.

Nong Nooch , Wat Yarn.

Avoid the tiger zoo , dreadful place.

As other advise I would stick to the pool, or perhaps go swimming at the islands, you do heard of eye/ ear infections which can be miserable for children.

Cinemas, ten pin bowling is good. Ripley's at Royal Garden.

Loads of restaurants- such as Hard Rock if you want Western food, go to Cabbages & Condoms if you want somewhere very pretty and the rabbits there are fun for kids.

The place is safe, certainly a lot safer than inner city areas in most major cities.

I can't imagine you are going to be wandering around at 4 in the morning in some dodgy part of town, take no notice of the Pattaya bashing brigade who think they are holier than thou because they live in the back of beyond achieving enlightenment by watching rice grow.

Think your out of date mate, as I was till last month.

Tiger zoo is the best of the lot for what you get for what you pay.

kids loved it.

it was total crap years back said I would never go again.

very good now, elephant show is way more funny than Nongnouch !!!!!

Edited by onemorechang

Ban Amphur. 15km from Pattaya. Beautiful family orientated beach. No jet skis, no speed boats. Safe for swimming. Has vendor area but also a large no vendor area. Plenty of Thais from Bangkok use it at the weekend and it was popular with the Russians until recent ruble crash. Accommodation: there are a few but I have no details. Try googling. Nearer to Nong Nooch than Pattaya, near to some place that has dolphins. Once you are out of the village and on the highway, there are baht buses to take you to Pattaya passing mimosa, floating market, macro, ocean world, tesco lotus. Get off at threpasit road. You can walk down a bit and there is good night markets. Further down great off road street food. From anywhere along there you can get baht bus to end of road where it joins Thappaya. Another baht bus can take you to Pattaya park. Good day out with the kids. Further on along thappraya takes you into Pattaya proper. Check out Google maps and Facebook. Many of the places I've mentioned have pages. Masses to do around Pattaya just avoid the beach, and walking street. Although many of the smaller soi also are also a bit risky for kids. Especially soi 8. Jomtien beach while better than Pattaya is still terrible in comparison to the many other wonderful beaches Thailand has to offer.

Have a nice holiday.

I would like to avoid drug trafficking, prostitution, robbery, and live in a quite community.

Thanks for the laugh...I know your are serious...but this is a matter of everyday life for the Jomtein/Pattaya area...I would not recommend taking young children to that area...try Hua Hin...nothing ever happens there...

I would like to avoid drug trafficking, prostitution, robbery, and live in a quite community.

Thanks for the laugh...I know your are serious...but this is a matter of everyday life for the Jomtein/Pattaya area...I would not recommend taking young children to that area...try Hua Hin...nothing ever happens there...

This is true . nothing ever happens

But your kids will be so bored they will just want to play games on the internet all day, or on your smart phone all day

Hua Nin is so boring for kids !!!!!!

don't do it.

Edited by onemorechang

You can not avoid drug trafficking and prostitution anywhere in Pattaya or Jomtien. I have heard in news about few problems in Jomtien with people been out late at night. I think the best area to stay in somewhere in North Pattaya (Nauklua) in one of the Soi between 2nd road and beach road. It is more quite and you have access to baht bus on both side. One of the best area in Pattaya is called Pratumnak. But I don't suggest you stay there if you want to be late out at night. It is very quite and can be dangerous if you drive bike at night.

Surprisingly, this is a great place for family travel. There are far too many attractions to list, but anything and everything is here: aquarium, wildlife parks, elephant treks, go karting, water parks, beaches, boat rides, boat tours, video arcades, fun restaurants, reasonably priced shopping, and hundreds of other things and places to go. All reasonably priced. Also Mini Siam park, a few botanical gardens, and post-179467-0-89936700-1426273030_thumb.day boat trip to Koh Larn (this is a must see, as the beach water is crystal clear), 20 minutes by speedboat 400 baht one way, or 45 minutes by ferry boat (30 baht per person one way)... boats leaving from Bali Hai pier, just past Walking Street... boats leave about once an hour. Koh Larn is beautiful, like paradise... almost.

As people have stated Jomtiem or Naklu areas are best for families lodging, just stay out of Central Pattaya.

http://www.kohlarn.com/getting.htm

I suggest Same (Samay) Beach see attached photo

You could always stay at one of the up market resorts and be perfectly safe.

Woodlands, Sheraton, Cosy Beach .

The real issues, drunkeness, katoey hassles and pick-pockets are in particular areas you need not wander.

I would recomend not living in central Pattaya at all if you have a young family. I dont think you would have any problems, it just wouldnt be conducive to a very enjoyable life for a young family. Even down at Jomtien (depends how far down you are), daytime is good but nightime is a bit out there.

Would either recomend Naklua way, Na Jomtien or east Pattaya over the railway line - Is not on the beach but some very nice estates outside of the usual hussle and bustle but still only a short drive into central pattaya.

In terms of what the kids notice, I have a 8 & 9yr old and to be honest the only things the kids notice are the ladyboys and after the first couple of weeks they just ignore them - Kids dont judge anywhere as much as adults. The main thing the kids notice is how dirty the place is, the unfinished construction everywhere (reo bar sticking out of concrete sidewalks etc) that is dangerous. There is the risk of needles on Jomtien beach etc and the risk of infection from the ocean around Pattaya.

We have never been offered drugs or prostitution on streets outside of the usual soi's or walking street - same as anywhere really, pick the time and places to visit and you wont have any problems.

I would concur with previous comments that if you have any feelings towards how animals are treated try to stay away from most of the animal attractions in Thailand - Sri Racha tiger park is one place I would not go back to - Chiang Mai tiger park is a much nicer place to visit. To make this clear - I am not a PETA supporter or expect animals to be treated the same as humans but I don't condone mistreating animals (extremely small enclosures, hitting animals for crowd enjoyment etc).

I would like to respond to the poster who called Pattaya a "City of Whores". Yes, there are call girls, and boys, available should you want one but that's true of any sizeable city. It shouldn't mean that you avoid a city just because of that. It's all about what you are looking for. You can go to Las Vegas and have a nice time and not gamble once--there's lots of other stuff to do. The same with Pattaya. As one poster noted, there is plenty to do here for families. The beach, obviously, but also boat trips to the islands, Pattaya Floating Market, elephant shows, the aquarium, Cartoon Network Waterpark, Nongnooch Gardens, Ripley's, snorkeling, museums, and dozens of other things. Where I live in Jomtien I see plenty of tourist families having a great time. It's important, I think, to distinguish between tourists visiting here and expats living here. As an expat living here, I would like to see better sidewalks, traffic control, city administration,and so on and I have posted here about them sometimes. But, when I travel as a tourist those things don't really concern me. I'm sure when I visited Hanoi and Beijing and other cities the local residents could tell me that this is bad and that is bad but I was just visiting and on an adventure and I always had a great time.

• Like 1

I think North Pattaya is pretty safe

Was there with GF, daughter and my Mom

Stayed there last month

Nice a quiet

Few nice hotels to choose from

Mercury, Amari Gardens, Holiday Inn

All right across from the beach

Few nice places to eat between soi 1 and soi 5

I'm still taken aback when I see people with young kids in Walking St, but as someone pointed out they are more resilient than we give them credit for - even as a regular bargoer, WS is my least favorite part of Pattaya but all that neon probably looks like a circus to a kid : definitely a zoo for most adults ;)

I would like to respond to the poster who called Pattaya a "City of Whores". Yes, there are call girls, and boys, available should you want one but that's true of any sizeable city. It shouldn't mean that you avoid a city just because of that. It's all about what you are looking for. You can go to Las Vegas and have a nice time and not gamble once--there's lots of other stuff to do. The same with Pattaya. As one poster noted, there is plenty to do here for families. The beach, obviously, but also boat trips to the islands, Pattaya Floating Market, elephant shows, the aquarium, Cartoon Network Waterpark, Nongnooch Gardens, Ripley's, snorkeling, museums, and dozens of other things. Where I live in Jomtien I see plenty of tourist families having a great time. It's important, I think, to distinguish between tourists visiting here and expats living here. As an expat living here, I would like to see better sidewalks, traffic control, city administration,and so on and I have posted here about them sometimes. But, when I travel as a tourist those things don't really concern me. I'm sure when I visited Hanoi and Beijing and other cities the local residents could tell me that this is bad and that is bad but I was just visiting and on an adventure and I always had a great time.

What you say is true but the beaches both Pattaya and Jomtien suck big time. Best to avoid them and find somewhere much nicer like Ban Amphur that is a truly family orientated beach only 15kms away. And back to the OP, be careful monitor your kids all the time. Accidents do happen and there are no life guards. In fact the number of adult, in the water swimmers, at Thai beaches is low IMO. Edited by Keesters

One post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

You been taking lessons from @JungleJim. Had my grandnieces & grandnephews over to Pattaya recently. Ages 2-14. They had a great time. Never went near walking street although their parents wanted a peek. Kept to Pattaya Park, Tesco, Big C, royal garden, central festival malls, ban amphur beach, nong nooch, khow keow open zoo. They really loved it and want to come back next year.

Pattaya is not a sh** hole. It is what you make of it. And many make out just fine.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply to troll post removed

A Pattaya Bashing Troll post has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

Try Bang Saray, about 23 K's from Jomtien with a nice beach (I'm a bit bias though, I live there).

Bang Saray's sort of OK but I've known residents there come up to Ban Amphur to go to the beach. I'm not biased. I live in Pattaya.

Why are so many people obsessed with the sex industry especially that in Pattaya. Is it because that is all they see, hear of, or experience. Well they should get out more. Pattaya has a thriving tourist industry containing many non sex related places of entertainment. Just a quick glance through this thread and you will find many examples of such. The OP is coming to Thailand for a holiday and bringing his family with him. Where is he supposed to go. Nakorn Nowhere with nothing to do. Like many places in Thailand or around the world for that matter where there is people there is a sex industry. I'm pretty sure you could find prostitution happening not to far from Disney world or Disneyland in the USA. Is that a valid reason not to visit those places. Grow up guys Pattaya is not just all about sex these days. It hasn't been for a long time.

Edited by Keesters

And that is but one example of many families who come to Pattaya for a holiday and know better than to walk along beach road or walking street.

@sir charles iv you may come here for a sex holiday but many don't. Not everyone has to or will behave as you do .... Thank goodness.

Edited by Keesters

Off topic troll posts removed, if you have nothing worthwhile to add in the way of suggestions for the OP then please move on to another topic. Thank you

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

deleted post

There are plenty of places in Pattaya where that is possible. You obviously know nothing if the place.

Edited by petercool

OP Jeff.

I regularly visit Jomtien together with my family.

Our " tribe" usually consists of 3 generations = kids, parents, grandparents ( a selection of ThaI and Farang)

Never an issue - always happy faces.

Memo to Sir Charles IV. No, sir, not ALL expats are living in Pattaya just for the sex and I didn't appreciate you making a blanket statement like that with no evidence to back it up except your closed, unenquiring mind. In my case I am living here because my partner works here. I've been here nearly 5 years and so far mostly like living here. There are some negatives like the traffic congestion and infrastructure growing pains but the positives outweigh the negatives. We visited Walking Street when we first arrived and haven't been back since. We just drove down Soi 6 for the first time a week ago when we were cutting over to Beach Road. There is plenty to do here year round that doesn't involve Walking Street or Soi 6. The climate is great, hospitals are good and not expensive, my pension lets me live better here than in America, movies in English are playing at the movie theaters, good shopping including book stores, lots of restaurants in my budget, a major airport is just an easy bus ride away with lots of countries to visit a short plane ride away, I'm in better shape than I've ever been swimming and walking every day, and I'll never tire of listening to the surf and watching the ocean activity from my balcony. If I wasn't here I'd probably be in a beach town in Florida but my everyday life wouldn't be that much different. For my partner and I, there's still lots to explore in the Pattaya area, Bangkok, and the rest of Thailand.

• Like 2