Illegal Chinese photographer arrested at Phuket beach

webfact

Illegal Chinese photographer arrested at Phuket beach
Eakkapop Thongtub

1426158472_1-org.jpg
Ma Chuwan, 26, was caught taking photos of a newly-wed couple at Bang Tao Beach.

PHUKET: -- A Chinese wedding photographer was arrested on Bangtao Beach yesterday (March 11) while taking pre-wedding photos of a Chinese couple.

Immigration police arrested Ma Chuwan, 26, on a charge of working in Thailand illegally.

Police seized a Nikon camera from Ma and asked to see his work permit or prove that he is a professional photographer in Phuket, but he failed to provide either. He was taken to Cherng Talay Police Station.

Lt Col Tienchai Chompoo said, "We are aware of freelance Chinese wedding photographers who came to work in Thailand illegally. They take photos of wedding couples at tourist sites such as beaches, Phuket Old Town and temples. They get paid B5,000-B10,000 per job.

"We have warned some and arrested others in the past but there are still some of them who keep on doing this. They are competing against legitimate photographers, whose pain we want to lessen."

Legitimate Phuket freelance wedding photographer Supachai Limpakornkul said the problem of illegal competition from Chinese shooters is not new.

"No matter how many times officials arrest them," he said, "there is high demand among Chinese newlyweds for wedding photos taken in Phuket -- they all want to come here. Usually it's just the bride and groom who come to Phuket.

“They hire a Chinese photographer that they found working at a wedding reception or who freelance for wedding companies in the area.

“Most of these photographers barely know Phuket culture. They take photos of newly-wed couples who are dressed inappropriately inside temples, or have the couple sit or stand at a sacred place that many Thai respect.

“We have seen them take photos in Phuket old town without asking home owners permission or standing in the middle of the road without concern for traffic or drivers.

“I think it will be a long process to rid the island of illegal photographers, and right now we should focus on educating tourists in our culture, beliefs and acceptable behaviours,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-chinese-photographer-arrested-at-phuket-beach-51370.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-13

• Like 1

What about the American photographer that is documenting theaters in Thailand, or what about foreign tour operators in Thailand on fam trips making photos of Thai attractions? They are working illegally without work permits or proper work visas but are selectively ignored.

• Like 1

I am assuming in this case the photographer is supposedly living and working in Phuket and didn't just come over with the wedding party.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is for freelance photographers, lets say you do travel photography and you want to do a piece on Phuket for a magazine. You are not a Thai national. Can you come over for the assignment and do you get a work permit?

I am a professional photographer specializing in aerial photography and I have a work permit for it, the Chinese tend to bring their own photographers with them from China.

My problem is with photographers living here on tourist visas and working without a work permit, it is seriously affecting my business.

• Like 2

this is a difficult subject, the rule being "doing work is illegal if you don't have a work permit", whether paid or not, it is illegal. We try to get students as interns and we have each years tremendous difficulties.

now consider this:

1. an executive from an overseas organisation comes to Thailand on holiday and he visits his office in Bangkok and sits in a board meeting. He did not ask for a business visa and did not ask a work permit. He is not paid in Thailand, can he work?

2. A group of tourists visits Thailand from Holland, they have their own tour guide from Holland, they are all travelling together on the tour with a visa on arrival. The tour guide can or not guide them through Ayuthaya and explain the history?

3. A couple get's married and decides to have a Thai wedding as a ceremony, they have a friend photographer and he goes with them on the beach and takes their picture, they are all foreigners. Can the friend take the pictures?

In each case, he is working illegally and subject to the law with all the dire consequences.

I have seen a top executive from a large French group being taken from a board meeting, to immigration, charges and deported at his own expenses.

Is this all really fair or even logical? difficult.

If we get a business visitor from overseas, we spent days getting him/her a WP that is valid only for a few days, this is the only way to guarantee you are legal... the procedure exists and is a real pain

oz

4) a Thai wedding both married couples are Thai the photographer is a Thai friend. Is he working illegal? Would he be questioned by police?

this is a difficult subject, the rule being "doing work is illegal if you don't have a work permit", whether paid or not, it is illegal. We try to get students as interns and we have each years tremendous difficulties.

now consider this:

1. an executive from an overseas organisation comes to Thailand on holiday and he visits his office in Bangkok and sits in a board meeting. He did not ask for a business visa and did not ask a work permit. He is not paid in Thailand, can he work?

2. A group of tourists visits Thailand from Holland, they have their own tour guide from Holland, they are all travelling together on the tour with a visa on arrival. The tour guide can or not guide them through Ayuthaya and explain the history?

3. A couple get's married and decides to have a Thai wedding as a ceremony, they have a friend photographer and he goes with them on the beach and takes their picture, they are all foreigners. Can the friend take the pictures?

In each case, he is working illegally and subject to the law with all the dire consequences.

I have seen a top executive from a large French group being taken from a board meeting, to immigration, charges and deported at his own expenses.

Is this all really fair or even logical? difficult.

If we get a business visitor from overseas, we spent days getting him/her a WP that is valid only for a few days, this is the only way to guarantee you are legal... the procedure exists and is a real pain

oz

1. You answered that question yourself

My opinion:

2. Can, if there is a Thai who is the official tour guide. On paper, the Dutch tour guide is just a fellow tourist.

3. Make sure he is, and stays, disguised as a friend.

We have the EXACT same problems on Maui, Hawaii.

And all the Hawaiian islands.

It's the #1 Honeymoon location in the world.

Chinese and Japanese bring their own photographer -- hurts our Maui Professional Photographers.

9 Months ago - Shot a friend's wedding at Napili Bay.

I was quickly approached by several local pros, who complained.

Only when I explained that I was not charging them any money -- did they back off!

HOW MAUI SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

A Couple MUST have a permit for a beach wedding. The photographer must also have a PERMIT for that particular wedding.

East to get.

Cheap to get.

Get it when you get Marriage License.

• Like 1

taking care of the competition ...

with stupid laws, where even a professional photographer or other profession would need 4 USELESS thais standing, texting, sleeping around, for a job that can be done by one person

so why he does not just say he is a tourist or a friend of the couple, also illegal to take pictures for free of your friends ?

when I go to the toilet, can I wipe my ass, or do i need a thai/burmese for that also ?

• Like 1

The Chinese photographer probably didn't bribe his way out. Second he raised his voice in front of the police, thus offended the police. Third the Thai police probably had enough of Chinese nonsense in Thailand, therefore prompting them to make the arrest.

Well done police!;)

Edited by Cpkt8
  • Like 1

No work permit then you cannot work. As much asmany do.not agree. In this case however there are hundreds of thousands of Thais who speak chinese and could do this job and infact do. So no need for imported chinese photographers.

And what is the price that they charge compared to the other photographers??? 4 or 5 times more for the falang tourist!!! sad.png

• Like 1

Im sure there are so many unemployed fluent (in one or both Chinese languages) Thai wedding photographers on Phuket that are now so grateful they can feed their families once again.

I'm even more sure that the couples want language problems, over charging and poor quality photos on their special day.

Its all just such a WIN yipeee!

When in fact if you cant speak the language you cant do the job properly.

'Thailand' still acting like a 6 yr old who sees another with a toy they want to play with.

The police just want money. It'll cost the Chinese guy 10,000 - 20,000 Baht to get out of this one (a nice little earner for the police). I know first hand as I was caught by police in Phuket moving a coconut (while overseeing th family business) and my work permit is in Bangkok so they nabbed me. Fortunately my sister in law knows some well positioned police in Bangkok and a quick phone call got me off the hook :)

i see one or two Chinese photographers every morning on my daily bicycle ride.

Seems there doing wedding photography in Kamala

I think most of those you see are Koreans. At least a few couples a day being photographed on the beach.