How old does a Thai national have to be to own...?

Derek M

If under 20 parents or legal guardians have to be involved.

It is possible for land to be bought in a minor's name but the deed has to be left in safe keeping at the county court until they turn 20. This last is strictly from my own personal experience. Others may be able to elaborate even further.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

A minor can hold property under guardian – however, often it will be complicated or impossible to sell the property before the owner is of legal age; that may also include other decision with the property like mortgage, usufruct agreement, etc.

I presume, but don’t know, that a minor also can own a vehicle under guardian, but not drive – at least before obtaining a legal Driving License – but OP better check that with a lawyer.

A minor can also be named owner of bank accounts and Fund Books (mutual equity investment funds), or shareholder in a Thai limited company, but under guardian.

• Like 1

Under 20 cannot own or register bikes / cars, but there is no problem in owning land / house etc. However once signed over to the pre 20 year old it cannot be sold until the kid is 20 unless you get a court order.

Thank you kindly to all respondents. I was/am looking to purchase property and car/bike in my Daughters name and have. life time rental contract for property to myself.

Might be off topic can non-thais have a vehicle in their own name?

My wife's boys are well over 20 yet whenever they need to do something official she is called upon to sign papers. I never understood the full reason (she won't talk much on the subject since I first mentioned to her that it is about time they grew up and started sorting out their own lives)....but I think it's something to do with they being registered on a Blue Book with an address from way back when.

My wife's boys are well over 20 yet whenever they need to do something official she is called upon to sign papers. I never understood the full reason (she won't talk much on the subject since I first mentioned to her that it is about time they grew up and started sorting out their own lives)....but I think it's something to do with they being registered on a Blue Book with an address from way back when.

Maybe they are using her house as collateral for borrowing money.

Thank you kindly to all respondents. I was/am looking to purchase property and car/bike in my Daughters name and have. life time rental contract for property to myself.

I chose to get a mortgage for buying my house.

If you have the cash to buy a property, why would you rent it from yourself(daughter)?

There are a few things that require the blue house registration book as extra proof. For example, the granting of permission for a business to be registered at a certain address can only be done by the designated 'house master' in the blue book, which in your case is almost certainly your wife.

Edited by Trembly

Non-Thais can own a vehicle if they have a non-immigrant visa and either a work permit or 500 Baht proof-of-address letter from the Immigration Police.

• Like 1

The legal age for driving cars in Thailand is 18 years old.

The legal age for riding a motorcycle up to 110cc is 15; 18 is the legal age for riding a motorcycle over 110cc

Every vehicle must have a tax disk displayed if out on a public road. The Thai mother becomes a trustee for any vehicles or anything purchased and registered under a child`s name. Purchasing a vehicle in a child`s name does not exclude the mother from taking or selling the vehicle.

Land and property can be placed in trust for children with Thai citizenship. First the land or real estate must be purchased in the Thai mother`s name. If the Thai mother is married to a farang, under the law this must be financed solely with her money with documented evidence. Then after 6 weeks the land/real estate can be transferred into a Thai child`s/children’s names and the Thai mother becomes the trustee. The child has no jurisdiction over the land/real estate until reaching the age of 20 years old. Prior to that the Thai mother still has jurisdiction and can sell or take out loans on the land/real estate.

If in the event the Thai mother dies, the land/real estate is held in trust under the family laws for the child/children until they reach the age of 20 years old.

REMEMBER – this is not a loophole for getting around the legalities of land and real estate ownership. If in the event of a Thai wife`s death and the land/real estate was not purchased and financed strictly pertaining to Thai law, serious problems may occur if the rights of ownership are later contested, either by the deceased wife`s relatives or the authorities.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I chose to get a mortgage for buying my house.

If you have the cash to buy a property, why would you rent it from yourself(daughter)?

In who`s name did you acquire the mortgage?