Dangerous roads

Perhaps this is not shocking to the locals but I arrived here today and already witnessed a traffic fatality (well it looked like it - RIP). Bike hit a car in Mae Nam at 12:30'pm. Just a warning to all those who perhaps are not on high alert that one must be very carefull. Feeling so bad for all those involved.

you may have answered your own headline

Just a warning to all those who perhaps are not on high alert that one must be very carefull.

the roads are not dangerous ????? its the road users that are the problem

all who drive should be on high alert and carefull at all times no matter where you are in the world

You gotta be kidding?

The traffic here in Thailand are the worst I've experienced, ever.

It even beats the Greek traffic, and even if you would put to together Greek and French traffic, Thailand traffic is still worse.

I have witnessed so many traffic accidents, both fatal as non fatal, I can't count them anymore.

But I knew this already when I moved here soon to be 9 years ago, didn't you?

You didn't google the dangers in Thailand before you came here?

Edited by KamalaRider

I have been around Samui today, (avoiding Chawang) and not seen any accidents... although in the last couple of weeks have seen three "minor" accidents because of people driving without due care and attention ..... fortunately no one seriously hurt... (both farangs and Thai's involved.... )

OP asked last in the last week or so about mountain bike riding... well again it comes down to being aware of what's around you.... The biggest caution is the dry sand of the cement roads but also if you do head into the hills atop of Samui, be aware that the sandy roads are very slippery... because it is so dry...

As said it is not so much the roads, but the drivers.... just be aware...

It happend close to my home, i didnt pass it because i went to Naton but i saw it from distance, it happened on a new part of street and straigth ahaid, verry close to a petrol station, i knew it was pretty strong because the street was blokked half. Im here 5 months and i must say the road is not so bad on Samui, offcourse you have to know the bad parts and bealways allert, I have a pretty good feeling when im driving the scooter but i know there can be happening always something unexpacting, i had it twice in those 5 months, thai drivers with big cars almost hit me but i was allert luckely. I saw one deadly accident with a scooter and it gives a sad feeling indeed.

you may have answered your own headline

Just a warning to all those who perhaps are not on high alert that one must be very carefull.

the roads are not dangerous ????? its the road users that are the problem

all who drive should be on high alert and carefull at all times no matter where you are in the world

Right on. Whether in my car or on motorbike I'm constantly looking in my rear view mirrors....constantly I'm saying....and still often miss the Evil Kineval storming up on my inside or outside.

Its truly unlike any other place I have been; though I consider crossing the road here more stressful than driving (Mae Nam). A few months ago I posted that I had seen... actually seen before me 3 deaths in a week (and one guy I was the one who stayed with until EMS arrived). Way too close, too often. Throughout the day I can here the EMS alarms passing going into Mae Nam, or racing out to Nathon Gov Hospital. The Samui forums are quite rich with people's stories about this very specific place and experience you've had.

The road to Baghdad International Airport (BIAP) to the Green Zone area was called Route Irish. It was a particularly maddening, dangerous road while the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) still ran the country (different kind of danger for sure but I am discussing outcomes, not means). I am serious when I say there are more accidents here than there was on Route Irish. Of course the Baghdad analogy is awful and horrifying in its own way- but so is the Samui road situation. Samui roads are more dangerous!

Sorry I didn't really think I had to specify that it's not the actually roads that are dangerous but the act of driving on them to you who are missing my point.

KamalaRider no I didn't google driving here as I've been vacationing in Thailand for over 47 yrs and been living here full time for 10 yrs.

I live in the North country and people don't drive anything like here, usually 40 km/hr on the regular roads and my neighborhood the two way streets are just wide enough for one car and someone is always letting you go first or backing up so you can pass. Never seen a accident or had a close call. I happily cruise around on either my bike or bike w/sidecar and here I feel unsafe in my 12 person van I drove down in.

Of course I understand the roads aren't very safe in Thailand but it seems especially hazardous on Samui.

Wishing everyone safe travels

When I originally saw the OP I ignored it & headed towards Naton with my family....

As I exited the bend leading to the flat/straight stretch 1km from Naton hill I was confronted by 2x green & white cement mixers overtaking each other with the one in my lane flashing his lights & waving his arms around like an oylimpic swimmer.......because I was in his way!

Yer couldnt make it up!

Edited by evadgib

When I originally saw the OP I ignored it & headed towards Naton with my family....

As I exited the bend leading to the flat/straight stretch 1km from Naton hill I was confronted by 2x green & white cement mixers overtaking each other with the one in my lane flashing his lights & waving his arms around like an oylimpic swimmer.......because I was in his way!

Yer couldnt make it up!

Oh Yes , the cement mixers are a other danger !!!! they are payed by the load they deliver, so the more loads they deliver the more money,....so they go as fast as they can to get the load to the construction site and as fast as they can back to get another load..... a big accident waiting to happen....!!!

Unfortunately, the biggest problem here in Thailand is complete lack of care or skill when it comes to driving and riding- this is especially true for scooter riders, who are often their own worst enemy. Lack or turn signal usage, making right turns or U-turns from the left side of the left lane rather than moving to centerline, absence of adequate lighting, the huge no-helmet factor, etc all increase the number of deaths and injuries.

If you are a competent, smart rider, your chances of avoiding a mishap increase exponentially, even when faced with a road full of fools who are intent on killing you.

If anyone in any doubt, the roads in Koh Samui are dangerous, very dangerous. But what do you expect when it is possible to rent a motor scooter or even a high powered motorcycle with nothing more than a copy of your passport? The influx of Chinese have not made matters easier, nothing against the Chinese but motorcycles are not very popular in China and even banned in some cities. But being here on holiday does something to tourist's senses. Most would never dream of venturing on to a public road without a licence and insurance back home, but here in Samui it is all part of the 'experience'. Sadly that experience can also be fatal or at least, spoil your holiday. One has only to visit the local hospitals and see that most of the injuries in the ER are motorcycle crash injuries and most of these are foreigners. The physical condition of the roads do not help, potholes, missing drainage grates and sand are the main problems not to mention the less than street-wise dogs. If you have a car licence, rent a car, they are cheap and usually in good condition and usually insurance. Be careful, be safe!!wai2.gif

Sorry I didn't really think I had to specify that it's not the actually roads that are dangerous but the act of driving on them to you who are missing my point.

KamalaRider no I didn't google driving here as I've been vacationing in Thailand for over 47 yrs and been living here full time for 10 yrs.

I live in the North country and people don't drive anything like here, usually 40 km/hr on the regular roads and my neighborhood the two way streets are just wide enough for one car and someone is always letting you go first or backing up so you can pass. Never seen a accident or had a close call. I happily cruise around on either my bike or bike w/sidecar and here I feel unsafe in my 12 person van I drove down in.

Of course I understand the roads aren't very safe in Thailand but it seems especially hazardous on Samui.

Wishing everyone safe travels

I've been driving all around Thailand and I agree, in Isaarn for example, they do drive different than in Phuket But not less dangerous in my opinion.

Must have been the Audi R8 club's get together on the expressway to Dao Khanong this morning. About fifteen of these nutters were racing in broad daylight, weaving in and out. And at the end of the expressway on Rama 2 there was a police check point....stopping motorbikes.

Rather than start a new thread.

I just want to say, there are two sets of road works going on in the Maenam area, one by Soi one, the other at about Soi 2....

Also down towards Bophut there is more road works !

Traffic was almost at a stand still between Maenam Lomprayah ferry turning and Bophut traffic lights at one point late this morning... Obviously some re-paving going to be going on, or perhaps work on drainage...(?)

Lots of impatient drivers, so be very aware! Rush hours this evening it will probably be a nightmare too! wink.png

Edit ....Worse headed toward Bohput, but that could reverse this afternoon evening....

Edited by samuijimmy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump:

Re Dashcams; A small number of GS8000L's are currently available at less than THB 1k each from the small outlet opposite Banana IT/to the right of the row of tills/just before the main toilet entrance in Tesco Lamai:

https://youtu.be/f2-Z8EOrcmw

Residents using the same model speak highly of it.

HTH

(There were only 3 on display so you'll need to be quick!).

Edited by evadgib

Maybe a stupid question but I'm going to ask it ...... is there a way to report dangerous driving on Samui and is it worth it......?

A facebook page entitled 'Roads of Koh Samui' will at least get it into the public domain, as might a letter to Samui Times.

HTH

Maybe a stupid question but I'm going to ask it ...... is there a way to report dangerous driving on Samui and is it worth it......?

A facebook page entitled 'Roads of Koh Samui' will at least get it into the public domain, as might a letter to Samui Times.

HTH

Thank you I'll look at that facebook page, I'm not a fan of Samui Times ....

• 6 months later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Sure dangerous - 4th place in the world =Road death per capita= blink.png

This speaks volumes!

If Wiki is rating Thailand in 4th place then this must be on the officially-released figures from the Thai Authorities.

But unlike the vast majority of other countries, in Thailand you have to be dead on the road to count as a fatality. If you die later from your injuries, this is ignored. In 2000, both Community Magazine and What's On Samui (now both defunct) were publishing the police statistics of deaths each month, and they varied from 20 to 30 deaths pm back then.

Nobody know the figures for certain, but any member of Samui Rescue will tell you that the actual bodies dead on the road each month number far in excess of the official figures.

The really questionable statistic is that, in the years since 2005 when this dead-on-the-road method was introduced on koh Samui, the "official" death toll has remained steady at 3 - 4 deaths a month. But the number of vehicles here has most certainly doubled, if not increased by more than this.

Who are they trying to kid! per capita Samui is quite possibly the No. 1 in the world, not No 4!