First Chinese tourist fined for breaking wash basin rule

Thaivisa News

Krabi:- The first Chinese tourist was fined Saturday for breaking the rule against washing feet and sandals in wash basins at the Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park in Krabi.

Chaiyatat Boonphuphantanti, the park chief, said the unidentified tourist broke the rule less than an hour after park officials put warning signs in front of the toilet room near the park office and on the mirror above the basins.

Chaiyathat said the park announced the rules after Facebook users cried foul that Chinese tourists washed their feet and sandals in the basins where Thai tourists normally washed their face. For Thais, doing so is seen as a taboo and very impolite action.

The signs use photo of Chinese tourist that have been widely shared over Faceook and Twitter networks, showing Chinese tourists washing their feet and sandals. The”no sign” was printed over the pictures.

However, the hastily made prohibition signs were apparently spelled incorrectly as it reads: “Break rule with 1,000 Bath penalty”.

Chaiyathat said a Chinese tourist came to use the basin and raised her feet to wash without paying attention to the warning sign. So an official took her photos and informed the group’s tour guide.

The guide was shown the photos and she agreed to pay the fine on behalf of the tourist. She was given a receipt for charging her client.

Chaiyathat said the park would have sign translated into Chinese as well.

A Chinese guide complained that the warning signs were too small. She said the signs should be enlarged and park officials should also wear uniforms when manning the toilet facility.

Have I missed something, my feet get washed with the rest of me at shower time. I might wash my face in the wash room from time to time when it's hot or when get a bit dusty riding the motorbike.

Any way educate this lot on the planes or through the tour companies.

• Like 1

What about the Thai males.....honk blowing there noses in the sink and getting snot all over everywhere?????? I have seen this dozens of times all over the place......water, snot everywhere.

Haven't seen this once in the 13 years I've lived/vacationed here...
  • Like 1

Clearly,, the tourists wearing sandals need a place to wash their filthy feet.

If they wore shoes/@!$//and socks,

There would be no filthy feet to wash

It is baffling that people wear sandals all over Thailand as they walk in urine and feces and rotting trash on sidewalks no one bothers to hose off at night

I wore boots and just washed them home

• Like 2

What about the Thai males.....honk blowing there noses in the sink and getting snot all over everywhere?????? I have seen this dozens of times all over the place......water, snot everywhere.

Maybe this is an aspect of "THAINESS?" and thus, it is Not to be Sniffed at by we, mere Falang!

Edited by Torrens54
  • Like 1

If Chinese could behave like civilized people, there would be no need to complain.

Nobody with common sense washes their feet and footwear in wash basins, only them.

Another specialty from the cavemen.

• Like 2

"The only good thing I can say about it all is that thank goodness they can only have one child."

Ate the others at birth presumably.

Haven't seen the Chinese in action, except in Phuket being led around by a guide with a small flag, did not witness any bad behaviour.

A post violating forum rules has been edited and several replies have been removed from view. Please abide by forum rules. wai2.gif

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 2

A post violating forum rules has been edited and several replies have been removed from view. Please abide by forum rules. wai2.gif

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

It's called Expatitis!

or you could just shut the forum down!cheesy.gif

• Like 2

"Chaiyathat said the park would have sign translated into Chinese as well."

That would seem to be a pretty good idea.

I don't speak Chinese but I hope their translated signs will be better than typical translated English.

I'm sure it'll read...

"It is on what the foot on the area of washing for upper part of human torso is area not considered on the area of lower torso for legs is impolite"

• Like 1