Waiting for a Work Permit (help!)

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a situation with my current school. I have a non-b visa and I have been waiting for my school to issue a work permit. They have had all my paper work for a while now and my visa expires on around mid-April. I have asked them several times to update me on the progress of my work permit, to which I have received no response. In a little over a week my school will be on holiday and I'll be traveling to America, during that time my visa will expire. I keep asking my school when my work permit will be ready and they have not given me a direct answer or let me know if they even submitted the paper work. They have only suggested that I get another non-b at the nearest embassy while at home (2 days travel by car), or change my flight to go through Malaysia. Can anyone help me out with some solid advice here? Also how long does it take to get a work permit issued once the paperwork has been submitted? Has anyone tried obtaining a non-b through the post while at home? If I don't get this sorted I'll have to start the process over again and pay for more visa runs.

Any would be helpful. Thanks

Seems like a "normal" case where the school really did not bother getting you a work permit, making you working illegally. it's quite common.

You should check if taxes were paid on your salary, etc

Maybe you should try to find a more scrupulous employer.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

It should not take more than a couple of weeks to get a work permit issued.

It does not sounds like there will not be enough time to get the work permit and an extension of stay done before you leave,

Many embassies and consulates allow mail in applications. Check to see if the embassy in your home country allows mail in applications. Links to embassy websites here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a situation with my current school. I have a non-b visa and I have been waiting for my school to issue a work permit. They have had all my paper work for a while now and my visa expires on around mid-April. I have asked them several times to update me on the progress of my work permit, to which I have received no response. In a little over a week my school will be on holiday and I'll be traveling to America, during that time my visa will expire. I keep asking my school when my work permit will be ready and they have not given me a direct answer or let me know if they even submitted the paper work. They have only suggested that I get another non-b at the nearest embassy while at home (2 days travel by car), or change my flight to go through Malaysia. Can anyone help me out with some solid advice here? Also how long does it take to get a work permit issued once the paperwork has been submitted? Has anyone tried obtaining a non-b through the post while at home? If I don't get this sorted I'll have to start the process over again and pay for more visa runs.

Any would be helpful. Thanks

Took me 1 week from submitting to having the work permit in my hands

Seems like a "normal" case where the school really did not bother getting you a work permit, making you working illegally. it's quite common.

You should check if taxes were paid on your salary, etc

Maybe you should try to find a more scrupulous employer.

Sadly this could be the case.. when the forget and string you along.. that is a sign.. move on to a better school.

sounds like you are working for the same school I worked for....they jacked me around for months!!!! until I finally found another school.

Start looking....move on....you will not get your work permit....it should be quite clear by now.

In a nutshell they are jerking you around . A work permit only takes a couple of days Thats it So tell them you are going to seek another employee I know I have had a couple of work permits issued for me . They do not give you an answer because they are not doing anything This is why they said you should get another b visa

Time to look for other work

Sorry about that

Edited by realenglish1

It should not take more than a couple of weeks to get a work permit issued.

It does not sounds like there will not be enough time to get the work permit and an extension of stay done before you leave,

Many embassies and consulates allow mail in applications. Check to see if the embassy in your home country allows mail in applications. Links to embassy websites here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

Please remember, you are going into Songkran soon. This bit me in the a## last year. Everything slows down just before, then everything closes during. Not a good time to be trying to squeeze critical applications through the government. If I were in your shoes, I would abandon any hope of getting that work permit quick enough, and consider applying for the new Non-O B when you leave the country.

While I have heard many of the same horror stories many of the naysayers are quoting, I also know that since the coup many of the labour offices are doing everything by the book and much slower than before.

I know of several valid cases that have taken much longer than normal for approval despite all paperwork in place.

Though just as easily could be the no paperwork runaround excuse as well.

It is very simple. Go to the labour office and take the list of the documents needed and bring them to your school and give them to prepare the documents for you. They may just be lazy and don't want to help you. The Director of the school may not even know that your documents are not in order. Talk to your head of department. All the documents that you need for the work permit are in school and only one form is from the work permit office which they can still find it online I am sure.. They are not going anywhere to sign any document so why is it taking them so much time? First thing first. Go to the labour office (work permit office) and get the list of documents needed plus the one form that will come from the work permit office and give them. The documents can be prepared in school in one day. It takes 3 working days for a new work permit to be issued. And once it is issued, the same documents that are used for the work permit are the same documents for the immigration plus the document from your landlord or landlady and you will get your visa from the immigration the same day. Make sure that when they are preparing your documents, they should do them is pairs as you will still need most of the documents for the immigration. It is always stated on the Non B visa that one should make sure that if they are coming for a second Non B, they should have a work permit. If this is written on the Non B that you have, show them and tell them that if you don't get a work permit, you may not be issued another Non B and ask them to act fast. Also be sure that they want you in their school. If they have not been satisfied with your work so far, they may be wasting your time and frustrate you. Be wise. Equally note that, at times they don't know what is needed and they shy away. That is why it is very important to give them the list of documents needed.

Edited by Lekong
  • Like 1

I agree with what others have said. Although I worked in a different sector it was the same game. Employers will tell you all sorts of things instead of just doing it.

I can understand it from their point of view but only to the point of 3 months as that is the standard probation period in Thailand. After 3 months they decide whether to keep you or dismiss you. I allow an employer 3 months grace while both them and myself decide whether it is working out. After 3 months as happened in my last job I would say sorry but I am not going to risk working illegally so give me the permit or good bye.

As others have said it doesn't take that long normally, although i did hear that they havn't processed any in Phuket since last year but not sure I believe that.

I have wondered though about teachers and permits as the salaries are usually below 50k and I was under the impression 50k was the minimum required salary to be eligible.

The fact that your employer is not even responding to you and telling you what is going on is a clear sign you should move on IMO.

Someone else mentioned your current tax situation which is an interesting question as well.

I have wondered though about teachers and permits as the salaries are usually below 50k and I was under the impression 50k was the minimum required salary to be eligible.

Teachers and other education employees do not have a minimum salary requirement to get an extension of stay.

No matter how long it takes to get a work permit, a receipt is given at application time. It prove that at least the application was made.

You need a letter of authority and a load of other papers to submit so that you can get a non B

otherwise you dont get non B

As you have a non B then this paperwork must have been submitted then you have 3 months to get a WP

So whats wrong with this picture?

The Labor Department and Immigration have the paperwork and the school has not completed the application.

I would make a formal letter to the school with questions that need answers.

At least then you would know what they intend to do with you and you will know if you should move on.

Who has paid so far for the non B and Labor Depart applications?

Has you tax and social been paid?

You need a letter of authority and a load of other papers to submit so that you can get a non B

otherwise you dont get non B

As you have a non B then this paperwork must have been submitted then you have 3 months to get a WP

So whats wrong with this picture?

The Labor Department and Immigration have the paperwork and the school has not completed the application.

I would make a formal letter to the school with questions that need answers.

At least then you would know what they intend to do with you and you will know if you should move on.

Who has paid so far for the non B and Labor Depart applications?

Has you tax and social been paid?

Tax, social or whatsoever are not needed for a work permit to be issued for the first time to a teacher please. Except the law has just changed. It is when your first work permit expire that you need to show anything related to tax. Talking of giving a three month probation period, with a Non B that will expire in three months, how can this be handled? Generally in a month, any school should be able to know if they will keep a teacher or not. As I said before, if the OP can get the list of documents and give them and insist on them acting fast. If within the first one week of getting the list of documents they have not done anything then OP should know the don't need him or her and move on.If they need you, they will always act fast to prepare your documents.