Anyone semi-retired and living in both countries?

I'm looking to live half in both countries. One year in the US and one year in Thailand then back again every other year. I guess I'll take a job when I come back to the US to keep myself busy and bring in some income. I realize this is a pretty unconventional lifestyle. But I miss my parents too much to live in Thailand and not come back every so often. Anybody else do this? I'll be living with my parents so no housing issues. What about taxes? Will I be able to write off my income I'll be making online in Thailand since I won't be living in the US every other year? I'll be self employed in Thailand then when I come back to the US I'll be working at a job. I'm currently working at a job in the US but once I've got about $50,000 cash saved I'll be heading back to Thailand.

I tried this for a couple months living with family in the states. Just visiting, don't have work issues.

Man it was a long 2 months. Moving back in with the folks is something that's fine when your young. whistling.gif

When you ask about "writing off income" I assume you mean the foreign income exclusion. I can't comment on if your type of work qualifies for that, but the general IRS rules on foreign income exclusion are strongly tied to the calendar year. It is something like 330 continguous days overseas or 11 months, something like that. So if your "work" has a chance of qualifying, you need to schedule your time in Thailand basically between January and December. If you go June say 2016 to June 2017, you would only have 6 months of time in a tax/calendar year. That would not get you to the foreign income exlcusion

• 2 weeks later...