Motor Cyclists Beware.

So we can agree different people different speeds.

I go around 80km/h on my pcx150 when out on the highways which is not often as I don't like the lack of power, so I use it mainly as city hopper and there I follow the general speed of the other scooters.

I sometimes go very fast on my Versys but only in very short bursts where there is a clear road ahead of me and no sois crossing and no U-turns.

If you can't go fast on your big bike now and again, what's the point of having it?

Yes a good road can be a bad road the next day so I try avoiding riding out on the highways after dark because sometimes you can't see pot holes in time.

Drunk drivers/riders also tend to be drunk after dark but you never know.

Good post, but also be aware of roadside trees on a sunny day, it is very hard to see potholes with the shadows of trees over them.

• Like 1

I can certainly say that my little bike is fine at 100kph... But it is wound out at that speed. I cruise at 80 on roads I know, and slower on country roads

That's fine, but just let me give you a little bit of warning. On a road you know, you could be riding on it one day, then

one or two days after, on your 'little bike' you could be riding at 80 Kph, and a pothole has appeared, or someone has come out of a

side road without looking, which is very common in this country, where could that leave you?

Just because you 'know' a certain road, that does not give you a greater advantage on a road you don't know.

Treat all roads the same, use common sense and keep safe.

My little bike handles potholes quite well. It also brakes quite well :)

Drunks are an issue anywhere as are many different things. One of the reasons I don't ride on the shoulder is that I can move to the left or right to avoid obstacles, another is I am at less risk when people pull into the road.

About 70% of the mileage I put on my bike is on AH1 between Saraburi and Prachinburi, if you ride anywhere in the world you know that staying alert is important and I do so :)

• Like 1

I can certainly say that my little bike is fine at 100kph... But it is wound out at that speed. I cruise at 80 on roads I know, and slower on country roads

That's fine, but just let me give you a little bit of warning. On a road you know, you could be riding on it one day, then

one or two days after, on your 'little bike' you could be riding at 80 Kph, and a pothole has appeared, or someone has come out of a

side road without looking, which is very common in this country, where could that leave you?

Just because you 'know' a certain road, that does not give you a greater advantage on a road you don't know.

My little bike handles potholes quite well. It also brakes quite well smile.png

Drunks are an issue anywhere as are many different things. One of the reasons I don't ride on the shoulder is that I can move to the left or right to avoid obstacles, another is I am at less risk when people pull into the road.

About 70% of the mileage I put on my bike is on AH1 between Saraburi and Prachinburi, if you ride anywhere in the world you know that staying alert is important and I do so smile.png

Yes, I agree with you, but what do you do when the big trucks tailgate you and flash their lights? It must happen all the time if you ride the first lane on a 'little bike'.

That is why every bike I have I got bigger rims and tires, My Click, I purchased 3,50 Rims and put on back 120/70-14 The front 110/70-14

My son 125 Wave, rims 4.25 has back 140/80-17 with a rear Disc brakes has and front 110-80-17 Here in Pattaya I think I would be dead already without them. My PCX, 120/70 back, front 110/70.

Edited by thailand49

That is why every bike I have I got bigger rims and tires, My Click, I purchased 3,50 Rims and put on back 120/70-14 The front 110/70-14

My son 125 Wave, rims 4.25 has back 140/80-17 with a rear Disc brakes has and front 110-80-17 Here in Pattaya I think I would be dead already without them. My PCX, 120/70 back, front 110/70.

That is sure very interesting, but the way I feel right now, I may not be doing those long road trips. No fear about the many nutters and riders, but the state of the roads??

About 70% of the mileage I put on my bike is on AH1 between Saraburi and Prachinburi, if you ride anywhere in the world you know that staying alert is important and I do so smile.png

Yes, I agree with you, but what do you do when the big trucks tailgate you and flash their lights? It must happen all the time if you ride the first lane on a 'little bike'.

Doesn't happen often. I pay attention to my mirrors and traffic in the immediate area tends to be a bit more polite. 4-6 lanes also helps :)

I am just wondering if it really was the rut between the hard shoulder and first lane the made me lose control of the bike.

I don't remember seeing any obstruction in front of me which would cause me to cross over that rut, so I would have no reason

to cross it. I got such a fright I can't remember. I wonder if it was something else, or maybe a fault on the bike.

I know I could not have been going over 40 Kph or I would have been seriously hurt or even killed, although 60 Kph is my fastest speed.

Which is why riding a "little bike" on the highways is not one of the safest things to do, as we discussed on another thread, unless you are willing to push it to it's top speed (which is in itself, also not all that safe).

I am just wondering if it really was the rut between the hard shoulder and first lane the made me lose control of the bike.

I don't remember seeing any obstruction in front of me which would cause me to cross over that rut, so I would have no reason

to cross it. I got such a fright I can't remember. I wonder if it was something else, or maybe a fault on the bike.

I know I could not have been going over 40 Kph or I would have been seriously hurt or even killed, although 60 Kph is my fastest speed.

Not having a go at you but IMO you are a risk both to yourself and possibly others at present.....i don't know what real time riding experience you have, but reading and following your comments suggests to me that either you are not very confident to begin with,and/or you have you have frightened yourself bigtime in this incident to the point that you have lost any confidence you may have had...You come across as being very timid........You should not continue to ride any bike on these roads..you are a danger to yourself and others....Go ride somewhere where you yourself feel safe and get your confidence levels up..then maybe try again later on the roads you are not confident on...Just my opinion....

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 2

Which is why riding a "little bike" on the highways is not one of the safest things to do, as we discussed on another thread, unless you are willing to push it to it's top speed (which is in itself, also not all that safe).

Riding at 80 kph leaves me with about another 20kph if needed. My Tricity feels just fine at 100kph but has nothing left.

Riding any motorcycle isn't the safest things to do, particularly in Thailand. We all do it though.

Not having a go at you but IMO you are a risk both to yourself and possibly others at present.....i don't know what real time riding experience you have, but reading and following your comments suggests to me that either you are not very confident to begin with,and/or you have you have frightened yourself bigtime in this incident to the point that you have lost any confidence you may have had...You come across as being very timid........You should not continue to ride any bike on these roads..you are a danger to yourself and others....Go ride somewhere where you yourself feel safe and get your confidence levels up..then maybe try again later on the roads you are not confident on...Just my opinion....

I rarely agree with anything you say andre but on this you are spot on, I said this on page 1.

No offense Possum but you should stay of the highways. Many here have given you the same advice and you just ignore it and pretty much say we are all wrong and you are right. Time to take a good long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You keep going on about potholes, tail-gating trucks and people pulling out in front of you. If you rode your bike at a proper speed, which a PCX150 (the fastest and most stable small scooter available) is perfectly capable of, and in the proper lanes, these things would not be happening to you. You say what you do is safer when it is clear to most here that it isn't.

• Like 1

I rarely agree with anything you say andre but on this you are spot on, I said this on page 1.

No offense Possum but you should stay of the highways. same advice and Many here have given you theyou just ignore it and pretty much say we are all wrong and you are right. Time to take a good long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You keep going on about potholes, tail-gating trucks and people pulling out in front of you. If you rode your bike at a proper speed, which a PCX150 (the fastest and most stable small scooter available) is perfectly capable of, and in the proper lanes, these things would not be happening to you. You say what you do is safer when it is clear to most here that it isn't.

These 'things' you mention, apart from what this topic is about, what exactly are they? If you have been reading this, I have explained about my bike experience here in Thailand, and you are talking a lot of nonsense as is Andre, apart from one thing, yes I think I have lost a bit of confidence, probably because I cannot be sure of exactly what happened, and I am certainly not timid, I have done nothing to be ashamed of, so why should I look in the mirror?

I am beginning to understand now why Dave-Boo has stopped writing on this forum with posters like you around, but I will still be here, and will give it to you straight, and you are entitled to do the same, but me being timid?? If you knew me you would never think that.

I am a danger to myself and others???? maybe you are the one who should look in the mirror. I have had nine years of serious riding, with only one incident.

How long have you been riding in Thailand? Have you never been involved in any incidents or near misses?

Spending a lot of time in Thailand I purchased a Yamaha mio about 4/5 years ago this has served me well. when I returned in November last year I had a present of a three wheel bike two wheels in the FRONT, the first thing I noticed was when you have a rut in the road the independent suspension on the front is unbelievable. When I saw the bike first I thought , this is a joke as always ridden bikes 50 years now, but you really need to be extra alert in Thailand.

• Like 1

I'm totally in agreement with you possum.

Regardless of experience or what speed you think is safe, the unexpected can always happen.

I drive at speeds that suit the conditions and I feel safe at..

At 64kph the total stopping distance is 36m (118 feet).

If you can see potholes or predict a pedestrian or car coming across you from those distances, then you truly have remarkable rose tinted glasses.

I'll guarantee at least one of you mocking will have an incident in the next 3 months.

Riding a motorcycle always carries the whiff of the grim reaper around the next corner.

The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, experience, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that 'it won't happen to me'.

• Like 1

Spending a lot of time in Thailand I purchased a Yamaha mio about 4/5 years ago this has served me well. when I returned in November last year I had a present of a three wheel bike two wheels in the FRONT, the first thing I noticed was when you have a rut in the road the independent suspension on the front is unbelievable. When I saw the bike first I thought , this is a joke as always ridden bikes 50 years now, but you really need to be extra alert in Thailand.

See post 46 in this thread :)

Try riding a two-wheeler (of any size) on the roadways in some of the other SEA nations. Guaranteed, you'll love Thailand's highways, after those experiences. Now, if you're expecting to get First World infra-structure-style road maintenance, from a Third World mentality level, then you'll need to return to the Western Hemisphere. Otherwise, deal with the LOS reality, as it is. It will not change. Just ride more carefully, in the future. And yes, you were very, very lucky, on that occasion. So, count your blessingscoffee1.gif.

Edited by NativeSon360
  • Like 1

No offense Possum but you should stay of the highways. same advice and Many here have given you theyou just ignore it and pretty much say we are all wrong and you are right. Time to take a good long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You keep going on about potholes, tail-gating trucks and people pulling out in front of you. If you rode your bike at a proper speed, which a PCX150 (the fastest and most stable small scooter available) is perfectly capable of, and in the proper lanes, these things would not be happening to you. You say what you do is safer when it is clear to most here that it isn't.

These 'things' you mention, apart from what this topic is about, what exactly are they? If you have been reading this, I have explained about my bike experience here in Thailand, and you are talking a lot of nonsense as is Andre, apart from one thing, yes I think I have lost a bit of confidence, probably because I cannot be sure of exactly what happened, and I am certainly not timid, I have done nothing to be ashamed of, so why should I look in the mirror?

I am beginning to understand now why Dave-Boo has stopped writing on this forum with posters like you around, but I will still be here, and will give it to you straight, and you are entitled to do the same, but me being timid?? If you knew me you would never think that.

I am a danger to myself and others???? maybe you are the one who should look in the mirror. I have had nine years of serious riding, with only one incident.

How long have you been riding in Thailand? Have you never been involved in any incidents or near misses?

I don't see any one having a go at you on this thread

However, you advocate riding at a slow speed along the hard shoulder on highways here in Thailand and even though a lot of other riders who has done lots of miles riding all over Thailand has suggested that this is actually unsafe, you remain unconvinced. You still insist that your fastest speed is 60 kph, even on a highway, on the basis that faster than that is dangerous.

Like one other poster said, yes, riding in Thailand is a dangerous activity in itself. I put it to you that your riding style and belief increases that danger to yourself.

You don't have to agree of course. Bikers look out for their fellow riders and advice is always given with good intentions.

• Like 1

However, you advocate riding at a slow speed along the hard shoulder on highways here in Thailand and even though a lot of other riders who has done lots of miles riding all over Thailand has suggested that this is actually unsafe, you remain unconvinced. You still insist that your fastest speed is 60 kph, even on a highway, on the basis that faster than that is dangerous.

Like one other poster said, yes, riding in Thailand is a dangerous activity in itself. I put it to you that your riding style and belief increases that danger to yourself.

You don't have to agree of course. Bikers look out for their fellow riders and advice is always given with good intentions.

I have already told you I agree with most of what you say regarding speed, but I still think that 100 mpk is unstable on a 150cc bike, and that is the main point IMO regarding speed. Even when I drive my car, I always keep within the speed limit, and 60 mpk is not too slow on the hard shoulder.

I'm totally in agreement with you possum.

Regardless of experience or what speed you think is safe, the unexpected can always happen.

I drive at speeds that suit the conditions and I feel safe at..

At 64kph the total stopping distance is 36m (118 feet).

If you can see potholes or predict a pedestrian or car coming across you from those distances, then you truly have remarkable rose tinted glasses.

I'll guarantee at least one of you mocking will have an incident in the next 3 months.

Riding a motorcycle always carries the whiff of the grim reaper around the next corner.

The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, experience, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that 'it won't happen to me'.

Thanks for that Faz, your post has sure made me feel better.

I have already told you I agree with most of what you say regarding speed, but I still think that 100 mpk is unstable on a 150cc bike, and that is the main point IMO regarding speed. Even when I drive my car, I always keep within the speed limit, and 60 mpk is not too slow on the hard shoulder.

mpk?

Of course 60kph is ok for the hard shoulder, the point you seem to be missing is that on the highways you shouldn't be on the hard shoulder, as it's more dangerous! Speed up to 80-90 and get on the proper road. At those speeds no big trucks will be tail-gating you etc and you are less likely to encounter ruts, ridges, potholes, dogs, buffaloes, people driving the wrong way and people pulling out in front of you.

I hope you at least consider some of the things we suggest next time you are on the highways, ride safe and good luck. Over and out!

• Like 2

mpk?

Of course 60kph is ok for the hard shoulder, the point you seem to be missing is that on the highways you shouldn't be on the hard shoulder, as it's more dangerous! Speed up to 80-90 and get on the proper road. At those speeds no big trucks will be tail-gating you etc and you are less likely to encounter ruts, ridges, potholes, dogs, buffaloes, people driving the wrong way and people pulling out in front of you.

I hope you at least consider some of the things we suggest next time you are on the highways, ride safe and good luck. Over and out!

Actually the "hard shoulder" as some people put it IS the motorcycle lane and is generally in better condition than the left lane of the highway which is generally used by trucks. Most of the left lanes I have used on my bikes (a 200cc Honda Phanton and a Honda CB400 since I sold my Yamaha Virago 535) have 2 ruts where the trucks and trailers have worn them away and now the trucks use the "hard shoulder" and the middle of the left lane.

Generally I use the better bits of the left lane or towards the lane divider if there is more than one lane. I often use the "hard shoulder" for (under) overtaking but in general unless I know the road fairly well I tend to keep off it. On rural roads I tend to ride around 80/90 kph and 90/110 kph on the main roads.

I have come off 3 times in the last 9 years. Once on the scooter doing a slow U turn and stupidly banging the throttle wide open half way around where I lost traction on the grit, Once on my Yamaha on a twisty mountain road in the wet doing a similar thing and the third time I got T-boned by a red light running granny in a pickup truck in Nakhon Sawan. The first two were definitely my fault and the third was seen by the cops who helped me and granny had to pay.

Each time I was wearing my helmet as I ALWAYS DO. The first two damaged my pride and correctly made me feel stupid, and the T-bone was out of my control. Now I think I will have to go to BigC or Makro to get the aluminium foil to repair my helmet.

Slower is not always better but too fast is more of a killer. Keeping up with the traffic is best if possible.

• Like 1

Bill. IMHO, your post is the most sensible yet on this topic, but in answer to some other posters, if you ride on the inside lane at 70 kph, I mean the ones that are not damaged by overloaded trucks, you will still get tailgated occasionally, because a truck running empty will almost always be traveling around 70 kph, if he can't overtake you, for whatever reason, he will be up your @rse, though you won't get tailgated by a loaded truck.

Your last sentence is an absolute gem, and I couldn't agree more. I'm just surprised it took more than 100 posts for someone to say something like that.

• Like 1

Actually the "hard shoulder" as some people put it IS the motorcycle lane and is generally in better condition than the left lane of the highway which is generally used by trucks. Most of the left lanes I have used on my bikes (a 200cc Honda Phanton and a Honda CB400 since I sold my Yamaha Virago 535) have 2 ruts where the trucks and trailers have worn them away and now the trucks use the "hard shoulder" and the middle of the left lane.

Generally I use the better bits of the left lane or towards the lane divider if there is more than one lane. I often use the "hard shoulder" for (under) overtaking but in general unless I know the road fairly well I tend to keep off it. On rural roads I tend to ride around 80/90 kph and 90/110 kph on the main roads.

I have come off 3 times in the last 9 years. Once on the scooter doing a slow U turn and stupidly banging the throttle wide open half way around where I lost traction on the grit, Once on my Yamaha on a twisty mountain road in the wet doing a similar thing and the third time I got T-boned by a red light running granny in a pickup truck in Nakhon Sawan. The first two were definitely my fault and the third was seen by the cops who helped me and granny had to pay.

Each time I was wearing my helmet as I ALWAYS DO. The first two damaged my pride and correctly made me feel stupid, and the T-bone was out of my control. Now I think I will have to go to BigC or Makro to get the aluminium foil to repair my helmet.

Slower is not always better but too fast is more of a killer. Keeping up with the traffic is best if possible.

Yes, there are parts of the hard shoulder that's in a better condition than the first lane itself and I have also been "guilty" of undertaking vehicles in that lane, when the outer lanes are choc full of vehicles. However, the unpredictably of the conditions (dirt, gravel, potholes, junctions etc) means that I always go back onto the main road after the overtaking. If there are deep ruts on the first lane and lots of traffic on the outer lane, then I stay as close to the hard shoulder as I can while choosing the best bits of the road to ride on, as you do.

The main difference between you and the OP is that you ride between 80-110kph, not 60kph. At your speed, you seldom have to worry about big trucks tailgaiting you. Even in the event that you do, you have the option of either pulling over to the hard shoulder for the truck to pass or to open up your throttle and put space between yourself and the truck. The OP does not seem to understand this.

I agree with most of your post (as I do your other posts) except for the last sentence. Pulling away from traffic is best if possible. If not, let the traffic get away a bit to create as much space for yourself as possible (and I do not mean by slowing down such that you are overtaken by every single vehicle on the road).

Bill. IMHO, your post is the most sensible yet on this topic, but in answer to some other posters, if you ride on the inside lane at 70 kph, I mean the ones that are not damaged by overloaded trucks, you will still get tailgated occasionally, because a truck running empty will almost always be traveling around 70 kph, if he can't overtake you, for whatever reason, he will be up your @rse, though you won't get tailgated by a loaded truck.

Your last sentence is an absolute gem, and I couldn't agree more. I'm just surprised it took more than 100 posts for someone to say something like that.

Possum, if you don't mind (DELETED) you are not comfortable with higher speeds which means that you should seriously consider where and when you go riding.

" I'm just surprised it took more than 100 posts for someone to say something like that"

Not so surprising really, considering that the majority of the posts are yours. I wonder what has happened to some other regular posters on this forum as none of them have made any posts on this thread.

I'm also starting to wonder if you are actually just trolling a bit as I don't understand why you can't fathom what some of us are saying about it being dangerous to ride at slow speeds on the highway or just riding on the hard shoulder.

Edited by seedy
off topic

Yes, there are parts of the hard shoulder that's in a better condition than the first lane itself and I have also been "guilty" of undertaking vehicles in that lane, when the outer lanes are choc full of vehicles. However, the unpredictably of the conditions (dirt, gravel, potholes, junctions etc) means that I always go back onto the main road after the overtaking. If there are deep ruts on the first lane and lots of traffic on the outer lane, then I stay as close to the hard shoulder as I can while choosing the best bits of the road to ride on, as you do.

The main difference between you and the OP is that you ride between 80-110kph, not 60kph. At your speed, you seldom have to worry about big trucks tailgaiting you. Even in the event that you do, you have the option of either pulling over to the hard shoulder for the truck to pass or to open up your throttle and put space between yourself and the truck. The OP does not seem to understand this.

I agree with most of your post (as I do your other posts) except for the last sentence. Pulling away from traffic is best if possible. If not, let the traffic get away a bit to create as much space for yourself as possible (and I do not mean by slowing down such that you are overtaken by every single vehicle on the road).

Thank you for your support. The only 2 problems I have with that is that by pulling away from the traffic behind me eventually means I catch up with the traffic in front of me and the dance starts all over again.

The other problem is that whilst the Phantom is a good reliable slogger of a motor bike it has the acceleration of a centipede with 57 broken legs. A crotch rocket it ain't and until I can find a surplus warp factor kit it will have to stay that way.

The CB 400 OTOH brings a big grin especially if I kick it down a couple of cogs and crank the throttle. That also bring out the other reaction in me called fear but it is fun while it lasts.

• Like 1

I have seen riders hit Edge Traps at speeds as low as 10-15kmh and they went down very hard and sometimes with lots of damage to the bike and rider. There are a lot of other factors at work here besides speed. Even a highly skilled and knowledgeable rider can get hammered in an Edge Trap if he loses concentration. I have taken all the Advanced courses offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation in the US. What I learned there has saved my bacon on several occasions. The Edge Trap is a killer. I had a friend in the US who dumped his FJR 1300 crossing an edge trap on an interstate highway going about 80mph.. Three months in the hospital. Hard way to learn.