Ford Everest - All New 2015

Barontt

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit clueless of Ford saying they have a new engine in 2 years time,I'd be pissed off if I'd just bought one.A V6 at last.230 BHP.Bet Toyos happy they told everyone..[emoji572]️.

The new engines we'll see in 2017 for the Ranger/Everest is actually a 2.0L 4-pot diesel. The engine is rumored to be capable of making up to 230HP, but it's going into a lot of Ford models, not just these two, so it may get de-tuned from that number for heavier workloads like these.

BTW, Ford haven't specifically gone out there to say "hey there's a new engine coming for the Ranger/Everest soon", hehe. They have a responsibility to report on big investments like this though, so the cat just finds it's way out of the bag :P

Edited by IMHO

Bit clueless of Ford saying they have a new engine in 2 years time,I'd be pissed off if I'd just bought one.A V6 at last.230 BHP.Bet Toyos happy they told everyone..[emoji572]️.

Ace ... two years is quite a long time to wait ... if you employed that philosophy, in the extreme, you would never buy anything. Just wish mine would come!!

Ace ... two years is quite a long time to wait ... if you employed that philosophy, in the extreme, you would never buy anything. Just wish mine would come!!

Hehe right. I usually turn over cars every 2-3 years anyway :P

Anyone know where to get a performance chip for the Everest in Thailand. Used to be a falang in Pattsya, got my fortuner chipped through him but he is not answering emails anymore.

You might want to wait a little while - all of the existing stuff on the market has been setup for 2011 versions of the engines*... I'm yet to see anyone with specific tuning products for the revised 2015 engines, with their smaller turbos, and different programming.

*Unless you're just talking about a basic/generic commonrail pressure booting chip.

You could use ECU Thailand ... I see that he has done new Rangers already

Yeah, there's a few Thai vendors - some doing black boxes, some directly reprogramming the ECU. From what I've seen so far, the black boxes are not plug and play though (require cutting wires), so both of them have a high possibility of voiding warranty.

I'd much prefer a plug-in black box, than can be unplugged before the car goes in for service / onto a tow truck biggrin.png

Sorry, I guess I should have pointed that out in my original reply.

Edited by IMHO

You could contact Racechip in Germany.

I see that they are advertising a chip for the 3198cc 200PS 470Nm engine ... is that the latest one?

Nothing for the new everest though.

The Racechip ones are what I call generic commonrail pressure boosters - because all they do is increase commonrail pressure so more fuel flows into the cylinder. More advanced systems connect inline with each individual injector, and play with the injector timing/duration. Even more advanced systems edit the timing in the cars ECU itself.

The problem with the commonrail pressure boosters is the power delivery is all over the place. It's like the ECU is battling against it at times, and the result is a 'lumpy' acceleration curve / less 'drivability'. They seem OK at wide open throttle though wink.png I liken these systems to fitting a big turbo - yes they make more overall HP, but the power delivery is anything but smooth.

The systems that go inline with the injectors themselves generally claim less overall HP/Torque improvement, but have the same smooth power delivery as the OEM tune has, so much nicer to drive. Some suggest these types of systems are much safer for the engine as well, but I've never heard of the more simple type causing any mechanical problems either...

These are really the only two options for something that removable / not readily detectable. Arguably, the commonrail pressure boosters could be detected in the ECU data logs (commonrail pressure is normally a logged variable) if someone were to go look for them. The injector timing systems would be much harder, possibly impossible to detect from data logs though.

As noted, the best systems are proper ECU re-maps, as these can modify several more variables (pilot charge, injector timing, commonrail pressure, boost pressure/limit etc), but I'm pretty sure your servicing technician would spot it pretty quickly, and the data logs would show it very clearly. Only an option if you don't care about warranty IMHO.

So overall, the injector timing systems are the best - but in the case of the 3.2L there's not a lot of vendors, because it requires unique circuitry to support 5-pots.

In the new 2015 engine revisions, things that have changed are:

1. Smaller turbo

2. Higher commonrail presuure

3. New injectors

4. Much more sophisticated ECU / BCU

5. New EGR system

So what worked on the previous version engine might not work very well for the new version. Or it might... I'd like the vendor to validate it themselves first I think smile.png

Edited by IMHO

Happy to say I learnt something today.....

Also may be worth keeping an eye on the Australian market as they may come up with something once the Everest goes on sale there.

Yep, the Aussie and bigger EU vendors are the ones to watch. The only thing with the Aussies are they usually don't go to lengths to avoid detection or make their systems easily removable w/out telltale signs. The Europeans are generally better at being sneaky :P

BTW, you can tell the difference between a generic commonrail pressure booster box, and one that works in individual injector timing by looking at the number of leads.

Generic booster boxes only have two connectors that go inline with the commonrail connectors:

pt-box_diesel_2.jpg

The ones that vary injector timing have a pair of connectors for each cylinder, and sometimes also another pair for the commonrail connectors:

Steinbauer.jpg

BTW, you can tell the difference between a generic commonrail pressure booster box, and one that works in individual injector timing by looking at the number of leads.

Generic booster boxes only have two connectors that go inline with the commonrail connectors:

pt-box_diesel_2.jpg

The ones that vary injector timing have a pair of connectors for each cylinder, and sometimes also another pair for the commonrail connectors:

Steinbauer.jpg

I've already been in touch with Steinbauer who supply the 'better' system, but they don't have the new Ranger in yet. Do you know of any Aussie companies who do this type of product?

pt-box_diesel_2.jpg

Steinbauer.jpg

I've already been in touch with Steinbauer who supply the 'better' system, but they don't have the new Ranger in yet. Do you know of any Aussie companies who do this type of product?

That video above is a vendor for the Steinbauer - google.com.au should be able to give you some vendor links. This seems to be a pretty popular box in Oz - it can only be a matter of time before they make a version for the updated engine.

The fact that they say they don't have one for the new models at least confirms that the engine is different enough that previous solutions aren't viable anymore....

Edited by IMHO

Hehe right. I usually turn over cars every 2-3 years anyway :P

Please keep this one the right side up[emoji609]

Here's a dyno test of one of the injector based boxes:

What is the reason that Ford don't sell their truck with that tune.
Warranty. Not only engine but also driveline.
Do you mean that both are more stressed so more likely to fail.

Here's a dyno test of one of the injector based boxes:

Warranty. Not only engine but also driveline.
Do you mean that both are more stressed so more likely to fail.

There is a reason why the factory ECU has torque limiting in lower gears.

As DonMega points out, these cars have torque limiting in 1st and 2nd gears, to make sure the AT doesn't get overheated. Also, torque is artificially tapered off at around 3100 RPM so they can pass emissions tests.

Basically, anything that makes the engine work harder generates more heat and more stress, everywhere - and Ford need to insure the car is reliable no matter what the person behind the wheel is doing. e.g. they might have the car loaded to full GVM (6000KG) then try to go up a 45 degree mountain, at full throttle, for an hour in 45c heat - the factory tuning has lots of safety margin to make this kind of stress/abuse reliable.

The better tuning boxes actually measure throttle input, and slowly taper off their power increase under sustained full/heavy throttle - until eventually returning to the factory tune, in order to keep temps within safe ranges. They also unlock the top end power that was programmed out (by increasing injection duration) increasing the powerband to around 4,000 RPM, which improves overall drivability. The basic commonrail pressure boxes do none of that though.

Edited by IMHO

Which gear would those Dyno tests be done in. I can understand the reason for limiting Nm in lower gears.

They don't say, but generally speaking most dyno tests are done at around 80-140KM/hr road speed, so probably 3rd or 4th gear.