Starved of light and food, Thai temple 'sun bear' dies pitifully

webfact

The state of the bear was indeed pitiful.

However, perhaps the condemnation of the temple is out of place.

Thai people dump their unwanted pets at temples, knowing that the monks and helpers will do their best to help them.

Ditto wild animals found injured or their babies abandoned.

The temples simply don't have the expertise or the moneyarrow-10x10.png to look after these animals, but they usually try their best in difficult circumstances.

If Thailand had a proper organisations dedicated to animal welfare such as the RSPCA in the UK then the temples wouldn't have to bear this unwanted burden.

What a load of crap, It does not matter how they acquired this animal they kept it so they should have at least saw that it got food ( Sun Bears are omnivorous so I am sure they could have found something in the food they beg to feed it} and enough sunlight to keep it alive. Does not take a lot of expertise to know it like all animals has basic needs. If they could not figure this out I am sure they could have found someplace to take this poor animal to like the organization that found the poor thing or a zoo. I doubt they even tried. These monks sure did not do their best to help this poor creature in fact they did DAMN little, it makes me lose respect for the buddist religion. And you piss me off for trying to make excuses for them, there is no excuse for the way this poor creature was neglected it is criminal.

Have you seen the rather charming documentary series about three Roman Catholic priests and their housekeeper on Craggy Island off the coast of western Ireland, "Father Ted"?

How do you think they would have coped if somebody had dumped a Sun Bear in their parochial house? Do you think they'd really have known how to care for it? Feed it? Mrs. Doyle's tea, cake and sandwiches probably wouldn't have met its dietary requirements.

Your anger at the religious institution is misdirected. Your anger would better be directed either at the people who dumped the animal there, or wider Thai society for not providing proper refuges for animals in need.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I would suggest that the temple probably did its best with limited knowledge and limited resources.

The evidence to the contrary seems obvious to me.

• Like 1

Thai people dump their unwanted pets at temples, knowing that the monks and helpers will do their best to help them.

The temples simply don't have the expertise or the money to look after these animals, but they usually try their best in difficult circumstances.

If Thailand had a proper organisations dedicated to animal welfare such as the RSPCA in the UK then the temples wouldn't have to bear this unwanted burden.

What a load of crap, It does not matter how they acquired this animal they kept it so they should have at least saw that it got food ( Sun Bears are omnivorous so I am sure they could have found something in the food they beg to feed it} and enough sunlight to keep it alive. Does not take a lot of expertise to know it like all animals has basic needs. If they could not figure this out I am sure they could have found someplace to take this poor animal to like the organization that found the poor thing or a zoo. I doubt they even tried. These monks sure did not do their best to help this poor creature in fact they did DAMN little, it makes me lose respect for the buddist religion. And you piss me off for trying to make excuses for them, there is no excuse for the way this poor creature was neglected it is criminal.

Have you seen the rather charming documentary series about three Roman Catholic priests and their housekeeper on Craggy Island off the coast of western Ireland, "Father Ted"?

How do you think they would have coped if somebody had dumped a Sun Bear in their parochial house? Do you think they'd really have known how to care for it? Feed it? Mrs. Doyle's tea, cake and sandwiches probably wouldn't have met its dietary requirements.

Your anger at the religious institution is misdirected. Your anger would better be directed either at the people who dumped the animal there, or wider Thai society for not providing proper refuges for animals in need.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I would suggest that the temple probably did its best with limited knowledge and limited resources.

Totally Disagree with you!

Everyone in Thailand has a Cell Phone or can get one to use.... EVERYONE!

Just because an Animal is dropped at your doorstep... You cannot say I can't care for it!!! All that needed to be done was a call to a Vet!! This is a responsibility that is 100% awarded to you the minute you take Custody of any animal, firstly to protect others from any illness or desease it may be Harboring!. Secondly doing nothing leaves you responsible for the Death of such... Even Criminal Neglect!!

To say they did all they could for the Bear is B.S.!!! I have never seen a Monk, without a Cell Phone!!! If this is the association one would be Brothers with when They Ordain.... I will really have to consider this choice the next time I am asked... "Very Deeply"

To say this story or act has "Moved Me Greatly"

Is an understatement!!!!

• Like 2

I haven't cried in a long while but I am now.

I am greatly saddened by this and in a temple too. I am sorry guys but all monks sicken me.

My distaste for Thailand and Thai people grows each day. For those of you who say it's the minority, I disagree. It is the majority and it will only get worse. I'm heart broken about the demise of this animal. I see dogs everyday with the mange and skin diseases when all it takes from the owner is some 20 baht powder and a tablet. Buddhist, not by a long way. sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngcrying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkUs49400crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkUs49400

Just seen the pictures from the paper that published this story. I haven't been this upset in a long time. Please can anyone find out the name of the temple.

Same for me.

I just saw the photo in the OP and now wish I never looked. No way do I want to see any more.

There are exotic animals kept like this all over Thailand. The other day I read about the gorilla that has been kept in a cage alone on a shopping mall roof for over 20 years. I have heard of extreme ignorance but these people abuse the privilege. Sickening, truly sickening, I curse the lot of them.

• Like 2

Er, Father Ted is fictitious! Seems a bit of a pointless comparison to make to something that isn't real.

In real life it is easy enough to find what this bear eats and feed it, or organise for someone else to care for it if you can't be bothered. These monks clearly are sick heartless neanderthals.

I recall that the law was changed recently to punish people who are cruel to animals. I hope these monks aren't above the law just because they're monks

I condemn such mistreatment of animals, indeed the Buddhist authority should investigate.

On the other hand, I am as always saddened by the reactions of the most extreme animal lovers, shedding tears, crying and wanting to raze the place to the ground, whereas they don't react as much to the killing of innocent PEOPLE.

Review priorities?

• Like 2

I condemn such mistreatment of animals, indeed the Buddhist authority should investigate.

On the other hand, I am as always saddened by the reactions of the most extreme animal lovers, shedding tears, crying and wanting to raze the place to the ground, whereas they don't react as much to the killing of innocent PEOPLE.

Review priorities?

Really ? Priorities ? I don't buy this humans over animals claptrap - this is a straightforward case of total lack of compassion - this is not a finite resource there is enough to go round - especially when it involves people who make a living from extolling the virtues of compassion ! We need to get this viral to focus a few people !

Oviously the point he made went over your head. Total lack of compassion.......you got that correct though....similar as him.

Review priorities?

Really ? Priorities ? I don't buy this humans over animals claptrap - this is a straightforward case of total lack of compassion - this is not a finite resource there is enough to go round - especially when it involves people who make a living from extolling the virtues of compassion ! We need to get this viral to focus a few people !
Oviously the point he made went over your head. Total lack of compassion.......you got that correct though....similar as him.

So enlighten us what was the 'point' ? How does he know that people outraged by this are prioritising cases of animal cruelty ? Give us your intellectual insight....

"humans over animals claptrap" ?

What about the "animals over humans claptrap" ?

I am simply critical of those who express their blazing compassion for animals but fail to do so when fellow humans are innocent victims.

Thais love animals, witness anywhere in Thailand the lovely dogs, all mangy and decrepid, Thais will rush out if you hit their beloved dogs crying with pain as their outstretched hands call for a " contribution"

Dogs aside they love the country animals too, I mean if it moves kill it and eat it.

Tub tao cave off the 107 125km up from chiang mai. As usual the cave has been commandeered by monks but over in a dark corner is a mini prison housing several sad animals. I couldnt even recognise what some are but theyre all in poor condition.

Go up there and see for yourselves if you really care about them. Its tucked right back on the left side of the temple....just use your nose to find it.

Help sought for bears in captivity at temple

BANGKOK: -- A non-government organization is seeking action from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation on the ill treatment of wild animals held in captivity.

It cited in particular bears at the Wat Ang Suwan temple of which one has died while the remaining four are in poor state.

The move came after the secretary-general of the Wildlife Friends Foundation of Thailand inspected Wat Ang Suwan temple or otherwise known as Wat Nong Hoi temple in Thap Sakae district in Prachuap Khiri Khan province to check on the treatment of wild animals held in captivity there.

This was prompted by the death of another bear last week bringing the death of bears in captivity to two.

The remaining four bears are in a poor state suffering from poor health as a result of being caged together.

As a result of this, cleaning out the cage was difficult and the bears have been afflicted with seriously infections.

The foundation had complained to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation on two previous occasions.

But latest inspection discovered that the four remaining bears are malnourished and some of the animals had been held in enclosed cages devoid of light.

The foundation is asking the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation for the animals to be moved for immediate medical treatment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/help-sought-for-bears-in-captivity-at-temple

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-17

BANGKOK: -- A non-government organization is seeking action from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation on the ill treatment of wild animals held in captivity.

It cited in particular bears at the Wat Ang Suwan temple of which one has died while the remaining four are in poor state.

The move came after the secretary-general of the Wildlife Friends Foundation of Thailand inspected Wat Ang Suwan temple or otherwise known as Wat Nong Hoi temple in Thap Sakae district in Prachuap Khiri Khan province to check on the treatment of wild animals held in captivity there.

This was prompted by the death of another bear last week bringing the death of bears in captivity to two.

The remaining four bears are in a poor state suffering from poor health as a result of being caged together.

As a result of this, cleaning out the cage was difficult and the bears have been afflicted with seriously infections.

The foundation had complained to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation on two previous occasions.

But latest inspection discovered that the four remaining bears are malnourished and some of the animals had been held in enclosed cages devoid of light.

The foundation is asking the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation for the animals to be moved for immediate medical treatment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/help-sought-for-bears-in-captivity-at-temple

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-03-17

So, these <deleted> have had 5 bears in captivity. So apologists, where is your argument now. Still think someone dropped of the bear that died and the monks didn't know what to do? Your BS astounds me. I suspect sweet FA will be done about this. Monks, temples............. they sicken me, the lot of them. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

• Like 1

This sad story of inhuman neglect and callousness is yet another nail in the coffin of Thai-style Buddhism, which is increasingly failing to live up to the high expectations of its millions of devoted followers.

It is bad enough when Buddhists attempt to defend the exploits of cruel, rapacious and predatory abbots and monks, but the feeble excuses offered by Thai Visa posters for the callous neglect of this pathetic animal are enough to make one's blood boil.

Whatever its failings, the military coup has at least helped remove many of the bad apples from Thai politics. A similar top-down purge of the Kingdom's tainted temples is needed to prevent the national religion from turning into a national disgrace.

• Like 1

Should lock up those Monks responsible, A good thrashing to boot!

The temples simply don't have the expertise or the money to look after these animals, but they usually try their best in difficult circumstances.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can only agree. Treatment of animals is absoulutely cruel.

So may suffering/starving dogs in the vlllage.

Many die early.

We have three dogs and two "guests" that come for food and clean water during the day.

I have to pull myself together not to let in more (my wife is not happy with even more).

That this happens at a temple ground, I have no words for.

Forunately the temple dogs here (about 10 or so) are treated fairly well.

Another 'animal lover' who stuffs dead ones down his throat?

Temple bear ! the sick <deleted>were to busy buying new i.phones to be bothered to take care.

It is my belief people take animals to the temple to be taken care of.

What are the Thai aorthorities going to do to those blatant sick cruel bastards?

Sweet <deleted> all.

I can tell you what the authorities will do: Nothing....

• Like 1

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-03-17

So, these <deleted> have had 5 bears in captivity. So apologists, where is your argument now. Still think someone dropped of the bear that died and the monks didn't know what to do? Your BS astounds me. I suspect sweet FA will be done about this. Monks, temples............. they sicken me, the lot of them. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

And one would think that the temple would be closed or the whole bunch of monks disrobed (spelling??) but no nothing is done. They can continue to torture animals.

• Like 1

If someone "dumped" a bear on my front steps I would use some common sense and find out what the bear needed and who might be in a better position to provide that.

Pray tell, which organisations in Thailand are both in a better position to provide care and willing to take on dumped animals?

Perhaps you'd be good enough to post the names of these organisations and contact details here so that anyone facing the problem of a dumped bear in future can avail themselves thereof.

Watching 10 minutes of Discovery Channel would give you an idea of what bears like this one eats and that it needs (like any animal) some room to roam.

Even reading Winnie Poh might have helped!

The guys who tortured and killed this animal are just criminals- end of!

• Like 1

If someone "dumped" a bear on my front steps I would use some common sense and find out what the bear needed and who might be in a better position to provide that.

Pray tell, which organisations in Thailand are both in a better position to provide care and willing to take on dumped animals?

Perhaps you'd be good enough to post the names of these organisations and contact details here so that anyone facing the problem of a dumped bear in future can avail themselves thereof.

Maybe the Organization that tried to save the bear's life for a start.

• Like 2

Are the Monks responsible for the lockup?.........This is a very cruel way of keeping a bear! Who authorized this bear kept at the temple. I see a good flogging of all who new of this, and chose to do nothing about it. This is worse than killing Soi dogs.

I also have lost all respect to Monks who treat animals this way. You all responsible need the business of a buggy whip!

Unfortunately I can only agree. Treatment of animals is absoulutely cruel.

So may suffering/starving dogs in the vlllage.

Many die early.

We have three dogs and two "guests" that come for food and clean water during the day.

I have to pull myself together not to let in more (my wife is not happy with even more).

That this happens at a temple ground, I have no words for.

Forunately the temple dogs here (about 10 or so) are treated fairly well.

Another 'animal lover' who stuffs dead ones down his throat?

Just had to get your 'Veggie" propaganda in didn't you? Completely off topic, and at least Khun is doing a bit to help.

Here on Samui there is a dog/animal rescue service that has done a wonderful job over the years at taking care of sick/unwanted animals, and reduced the packs of ferrel dogs on the beaches dramatically but I am sure that some of them enjoy a good non-vegetarian meal sometimes!

• Like 1

Well my apologist friend, for wild animals the WFF the people who found the bear and for dogs and cats there is the SOI Dog people who are active all over Thailand. In previous posts you speak of the quandary the poor monks are in. These are the people who are the leaders of the buddist religion who are responsible for guiding the followers giving them advice and guidence to help them make decisions about how to live their life and you act as though finding out what to feed a bear or where to seek help for one is something above and beyond their capabilities. Oh were you aware that they have 4 more Sun Bears at the temple that are reported to be in poor condition. Maybe you ought to get your Father Ted to give a hand or some cakes which would seem to be more then the other bear got. Why are you slobering alll over yourself to defend these sick &lt;deleted&gt;-ks.

• Like 1