The under current of violence in Thailand.

Lots of shootings, stabbings, suicides. Yep, it's a violent third world country.

Luckily most of the violence is not aimed at foreigners but Thai on Thai.

(But statistically British travellers are 30x more likely to die in Thailand than in Europe)

Because they drink god knows what at full moon parties, drink themselves faceless and get on rented scooters with no helmet, and find themselves with whores and ladyboys.

I've witnessed countless Brits acting like idiots ripe for the picking. No wonder they die here. They don't act like that in Britain, why do they do it here?

But they do ,do it there then come here,and think they can shirt front a Thai,who has ten mate's with ,machete's and knives,ready to kill,and knowing the bib,are not interested,there is the rub.

Yes, its actually a pretty violent country. If you're there then you'd better wise to to the fact you're in a very different society/culture to your own or you'll probably find out the hard way.

Best not to stray from the tourist areas and be on your best behaviour.

Lots of shootings, stabbings, suicides. Yep, it's a violent third world country.

(But statistically British travellers are 30x more likely to die in Thailand than in Europe)

Because they drink god knows what at full moon parties, drink themselves faceless and get on rented scooters with no helmet, and find themselves with whores and ladyboys.

I've witnessed countless Brits acting like idiots ripe for the picking. No wonder they die here. They don't act like that in Britain, why do they do it here?

But they do ,do it there then come here,and think they can shirt front a Thai,who has ten mate's with ,machete's and knives,ready to kill,and knowing the bib,are not interested,there is the rub.

Is that what that couple at Koh Tao did?

Or were they just walking on the beach?

And that girl murdered by the monk, and that couple shot by a policeman in Pai ...........

Not to mention all those at the Deathtown Inn in CM, and a similar one on Phi Phi.

The list is almost endless.

All those people looking for trouble?

I think not.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

If there are undercurrents, the investors will have the best feel. Foreign direct investment and even domestic investment dropped by half. The stock market tanked today. The PM is surrounded by yes men and is out of touch with reality.

Non sequitur

Yeah Thailand is a violent country.no doubt about it.anyone here could get killed at the drop of a hat.

In my years here I don't know anyone who has been hurt by a violent attack. That includes both foreigners and Thais, sober or drunk.

Before I moved here, a friend's father was murdered, but it was not at the drop of a hat. He got mixed up with some Shady land speculation.

Yeah Thailand is a violent country.no doubt about it.anyone here could get killed at the drop of a hat.

In my years here I don't know anyone who has been hurt by a violent attack. That includes both foreigners and Thais, sober or drunk.

Before I moved here, a friend's father was murdered, but it was not at the drop of a hat. He got mixed up with some Shady land speculation.

From all your comments it seems like you live in .....the temple of love.....a place left for me, maybe ?

• Like 1

Dear "beenitseenitdoneit"

Remember that plane that you got off of in BKK all those years ago?

Well, there is a Newer, Faster one waiting there for you right now, so if you're trembling in your pee-soaked frillies, why don't you just

run off to the airport and buy a ticket home?

I'm sure your Mummy/Mommy (or Nurse) will have a nice hot cup of Tea, a change of "frillies" and a Big Cuddle waiting for you

after your perilous adventures here in the Big, Bad,Third World.

So, off you go now Diddums, take your thumb out of your mouth and hurry as fast as your little legs will carry you, to the Airport and

get on that Big Silver Bird to take you home!

Edited by Torrens54

From all your comments it seems like you live in .....the temple of love.....a place left for me, maybe ?

I related my experience. Do you have personal experience that is different?

The OP said that he detected an undercurrent of violence from the time he got off the plane. I certainly didn't have that experience nor do I know anyone who did.

Have you read any news coming from Chicago, Illinois ? over 360 people gun down in the streets every year, that is just one city. We read the stories here about many things that happen to tourist or Farangs but most of it could be prevented if they took the proper steps to safe guard themselves. Just remember anywhere in the world after 11 pm and out drinking bad things can happen.

And that girl murdered by the monk, and that couple shot by a policeman in Pai ...........

Not to mention all those at the Deathtown Inn in CM, and a similar one on Phi Phi.

I think not.

Why are you seemingly surprised that murders happen in Thailand? Did you really expect it to be some kind of crime-free paradise?!

While the south of the country is in turmoil with 'weapons of war' being used everyday, and the entire country is still under martial law, brought about by a coup, it is easy to imagine there is more violence here than elsewhere.

However, i find there is less violence here (southern situation excluded) than in the country that i originated from, which is supposedly a 'first world' country.

Sure it happens, but it happens everywhere, violence has no borders....................wink.png

hmmmh, where you are coming from? I reckon UK? Well, there is violence always in the air...I remember!

I think not.

Why are you seemingly surprised that murders happen in Thailand? Did you really expect it to be some kind of crime-free paradise?!

The Phi Phi and Chiang Mai cases were apparently death by exposure to pesticides, not murder and not violence.

The defendants in the Koh Tao case are not Thai.

The policeman in Pai was sentenced to life in prison which was reduced to 37 years for having pled guilty.

I think not.

Not many foreign tourists murdered (or dying in unusual circumstances) in the UK.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I think not.

Not many foreign tourists murdered (or dying in unusual circumstances) in the UK.

Do some googling and you'll discover you couldn't be more wrong!

I was a peace corps volunteer in a rural part of Thailand for a couple years a long while back. The only times when I felt personally unsafe were the couple times I was being hassled by Thai cops. It seemed they were at liberty to threaten my property and safety, without recourse. That was genuinely scary. Lucky for me, I knew the local police chief and when I invoked his name, the harassment ceased.